Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alternative to Infinit Nutrition
Quote | Reply
I've made two custom blends.. the first one kind of upsets my stomach so I toned it down a little.. the 2nd try worked better but I'm not 100% sure I'll stick with them.

Any other alternatives that has lots of calories and sodium for a full ironman? Doesn't have to be customization.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Infinit Nutrition [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Infinit in both training and racing for the past four or so years. I've decided that this year I'll use the on-course Gatorade and supplement with gels (possibly diluted in a bottle). I'll still use Infinit for long training rides, as it's very convenient.

I'm working with a nutritionist this year, and she feels that the on-course nutrition is much easier to work with for long-course racing in terms of proper carbo and sodium intakes based on sweat rate and pace from my testing. I'll be experimenting with the new nutrition strategy this weekend at the Quassy HIM.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Endurance.

Bottles filled with EFS + Liquid Shots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me 3 times to dial in my custom blend. I was going to give it up. But this one is perfect now. It was the protein that killed my stomach.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Infinit Nutrition [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GAUG3 wrote:
It took me 3 times to dial in my custom blend. I was going to give it up. But this one is perfect now. It was the protein that killed my stomach.

Interesting... My first try had the protien at about 15% and that wasnt good on my stomach.. The 2nd try I dialed it all the way down to about 4% and it helped a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May need to dial it down more. Here is mine. 5'11" 160-165lbs.

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 308
Calories from Fat: 0

Total Fat: 0g - 0% of daily value
Saturated Fat: 0g - 0%
Sodium: 447mg - 18%
Potassium: 129mg - 4%
Total Carbohydrate: 73 - 24%
Dietary Fiber: 0g - 0%
Sugars: 15
Protein: 4 - 7%

Vitamin A (Beta-Carotene): 0 - 0%
Vitamin C: 0 - 0%
Vitamin E: 0 - 0%
Selenium: 0 - 0%
Calcium: 36 - 4%
Magnesium: 27 - 6%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GAUG3 wrote:

Amount Per Serving

Funny... mine looks identical. You've got a few more calories and just a touch more carbs/sodium. I have more sugar.

Haven't tried this mix yet but I'm hoping adding protein cures my hungry feeling. Otherwise I've had success. I also got a run mix for the first time. I don't have any (and I mean ZERO) thoughts of this working but I'll give it a go.
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Jun 4, 15 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine (below) is similar but less calories and less protein. Hmm how is your carbs set? For speed or endurance? On the slider, mine goes to around 80%. If I do a half or an Olympic, do I want to put that more towards speed?

Calories: 279

Total Carbohydrate: 68 - 22%
Sugars: 18
Protein: 1.3 - 2%

GAUG3 wrote:

Amount Per Serving

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you called and talked with them... if you are not happy they will adjust and send you some new product...

dont give up best stuff

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Infinit Nutrition [TeJa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeJa wrote:
First Endurance.

This is exactly what I switched to after trying Infinit for several races. I won't go so far as to say the Infinit -didn't- work for me, but I've had better results using the first endurance stuff, and I love the taste of the mocha gel/shots.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Infinit Nutrition [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's so easy and straight forward that it's worth trying!! It's a proven nutrition plan for many long distance athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
TeJa wrote:
First Endurance.

This is exactly what I switched to after trying Infinit for several races. I won't go so far as to say the Infinit -didn't- work for me, but I've had better results using the first endurance stuff, and I love the taste of the mocha gel/shots.

This was a game changer for me. I have always thought chocolate flavor during exercise was weird but after hating the vanilla and berry, I gave this a go... it's amazing! Easy on my throat and barely taste it after 15 seconds.

For those using EFS/Shot on the bike... what does your nutrition plan look like? For Infinite, I'm making 1 mega bottle (300 calories per hour x 5.25 hours) and then just plain water. What would you suggest if I switched to EFS/Shot?
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Infinit Nutrition [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of what I did with the EFS mocha stuff. I put 2 of the EFS mocha shots into a bottle and topped up with water in a normal water bottle. That goes on my downtube and is the bulk of my calories. I have a between the bars bottle that I have water in (going to use EFS drink mix this year instead), and get water refills for it at the aid stations. I usually grab a gel or two from the aid stations as well during the bike for a little extra. That is my bike nutrition for the most part for the 70.3 bike.
Last edited by: gibson00: Jun 4, 15 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first endurance is an interesting idea and I wana try it..

But the EFS only has 120 calories and already its at 290 osmolality. I'm looking for around 300-350 calories. How much of the liquid shots do you put into a bottle and how much of the EFS do you put in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
The first endurance is an interesting idea and I wana try it..

But the EFS only has 120 calories and already its at 290 osmolality. I'm looking for around 300-350 calories. How much of the liquid shots do you put into a bottle and how much of the EFS do you put in?

No idea about the osmo.., but the shots I'm talking about are these:
http://firstendurance.com/...efs-liquid-shot.html

They each have 400 calories. So I put a total of 800 cals in the bottle and use that to 'feed' from. I still get water from my other bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get rid of the protein ... all of the athletes I have using Infinit we have stripped protein from their race blends and there have been ZERO issues and always an improvement. We have also gone on the low end of flavor as well. (NOTE: almost everyone using protein was experiencing gas / bloating / burping at some point)

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Infinit Nutrition [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Get rid of the protein ... all of the athletes I have using Infinit we have stripped protein from their race blends and there have been ZERO issues and always an improvement. We have also gone on the low end of flavor as well. (NOTE: almost everyone using protein was experiencing gas / bloating / burping at some point)

For those that cut out the protein, did any then have hunger issues? Not horrible issues but noticed being hungry? If so, what did they do?
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Infinit Nutrition [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a good question ... most recent the plan was 1st bottle on the bike had a little protein and the remainder had none (3 bottles to start / 2 in special needs ... 1 sleeve clif bloks / 1 bar (as hunger insurance but was never consumed) ... my experience hunger seems more prevalent in training.

Hope that helps!

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a 140.6 I use three bottles. A BTA bottle and a behind the seat bottle both with EFS (200 calls each). Then you can put 3 liquid shot flasks in an aero bottle on your frame and mark it with 100 calorie lines OR just carry the bottles in your back pocket/bento box etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Thats a good question ... most recent the plan was 1st bottle on the bike had a little protein and the remainder had none (3 bottles to start / 2 in special needs ... 1 sleeve clif bloks / 1 bar (as hunger insurance but was never consumed) ... my experience hunger seems more prevalent in training.

Hope that helps!

Yes/No... Last year, I did 1 mega bottle of Infinite with no protein and 1 bonk breaker at some point during the ride. That would curb my hunger cravings. Sounds like you moved to what I 'was' doing.

Now, I'm doing 1 mega with protein... and per Infinite, that should eliminate any hunger cravings and keep me from needing anything other than my mega mix. We'll see if I bloat or don't perform as well and if I don't get hungry starting Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 drop the protein. Dial the flavor down to almost zero if you concentrate it.

Here's my formula. I've used this in training plus one IM and a 70.3. No issues, if I had to tweak this for a race I would add caffeine too. For IM I concentrate 2 bottles of 600 cal each and supplement with gels.

I previously used pre-formulated Infinit for all my 70.3s.

I'm also thinking about going with Gatorade and gels at IMMT this year just because it would be more convenient. So far it's been working well in training. If it doesn't work I know I can use Infinit.

Calories: 301

Sodium: 452mg - 18%
Potassium: 131mg - 4%
Total Carbohydrate: 75 - 25%
Sugars: 12
Protein: 0 - 0%

Dave Latourette wrote:
Last edited by: sp1ke: Jun 4, 15 17:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just looked at my carb slider. It is on the 3rd tick farthest to the right. This is what I use for HIMs and IMs.

I also make super bottles. 3 hour bottles that I nurse the entire race. During an IM, I have a bottle with just the powder in special needs and just fill it with water. I take a swig and chase it with water. 1 bottle is plenty for a HIM/
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Infinit Nutrition [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I've been using Infinit in both training and racing for the past four or so years. I've decided that this year I'll use the on-course Gatorade and supplement with gels (possibly diluted in a bottle). I'll still use Infinit for long training rides, as it's very convenient.

I'm working with a nutritionist this year, and she feels that the on-course nutrition is much easier to work with for long-course racing in terms of proper carbo and sodium intakes based on sweat rate and pace from my testing. I'll be experimenting with the new nutrition strategy this weekend at the Quassy HIM.

I'm struggling to get my head around this.

You've been using a product for four years that you obviously like and, as you stated is "very convenient". And yet you now decide you'll only use it for training and will go with something else entirely for races? Something that's not really convenient at all?

Am I missing something here?

Good luck with your experimenting (in a race).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:

x2 removed all the protein from my formula and went from a problem stomach late in the IM bike to no problems at all..but my tummy is sensitive anyway and I always have issues.

I'm smaller guy so my formula is at 287 per 2 scoops and I don't concentrate.

Good luck...
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Infinit Nutrition [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do people carry their nutrition, especially those who use a concentrated mix? do people generally keep a bottle on the frame? trying to avoid that for the aero penalty. that said i notice that almost all the pros race with a bottle on the frame.
Quote Reply

Prev Next