Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fenix3 vs 920XT
Quote | Reply
I have an old 910XT that is going to die soon.. which should I get.. Fenix 3 or 920XT... or something else?

Let me know!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the Fenix 3 because it looks more like a regular watch...it has all the same functionality of the 920XT.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I waited for the Fenix 3, purchased it and loved the way it looked. Went through numerous software/firmware updates and the thing never worked right. Distance was off on the run, missed laps in the pool, would randomly shut off, battery life horrible, would get stuck in vibe for no apparent reason and never stop, HR field stopped being displayed half way through he race (still recorded, but I couldn't see my HR).

Check out Garmin forums....still issues with it today. Returned it and bought the 920. The 920 has been spectacular. If they ever get the bugs worked out of the Fenix, I may buy one down the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was fortunate enough to get both and tried them out. The functionality is virtually the same when considering tris. If you are looking for additional sports (hiking, skiing, etc.) the Fenix has that availability. The screen layout is a little bit different but not drastically so that you can see your data with one glance down. Ultimately, I returned the 920 and kept the Fenix3 as I wear it as an everyday watch with the metal link band. I simply change out the band to the rubber one (or not, depending on the workout) and get started.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [Rdracer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had both and ultimately kept the 920xt:

-While they have pretty much the same functionality, I found the 920xt to be less buggy and easier to navigate.

-The 920xt weighs less, and I find the screen easier to read during workouts.

-The quick release for the 920xt is awfully handy for racing.

-I was drawn to the better styling of the Fenix 3, but it is not a small watch. The 920xt is ugly as sin, but if you're going to wear a tri watch around, I guess you mind as well embrace it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the 920XT for 5 months. I was sad to see the Fenix 3 announced just a couple of weeks after I bought my 920XT. Happy to leverage REI's generous return policy when I recently exchanged the 920XT for the nicer looking Fenix 3. I always thought the 920XT was ugly. Differences that I've noted:

1. Fenix 3 is 21 grams heavier than the 920XT, but I didn't notice it after a day or two
2. 920XT is lower profile than the Fenix 3, but again I don't notice the difference after a couple days
3. I'm left handed and wear my watches on my right wrist and the Fenix 3 buttons are a little harder to use than the 920XT, but again it's not that big of a deal.
4. I like the additional features of the Fenix 3, built in widgets and sports, navigation, etc.
5. The biggest thing is the nicer looks of the Fenix 3
6. I haven't experienced any issues on the Fenix 3
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fenix 3 hands down. I've owned a lot of Garmins, A LOT, and think that the most well-rounded watch in the market today is the Fenix 3, even beating by MILES the Apple Watch. Don't just get any Fenix 3, but make sure it is the Saphire version.

I use it for EVERYTHING, and NEVER got anything wrong or any other issue. Battery is simply amazing. The ONLY thing it has less, which is comparable to the Garmin Edge is that it doesn't capture all the Power Meter dynamics from the Garmin Vector Power Meter.

Read my blog for more on it. saqeralkhalifa.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [Saqeralkhalifa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to echo the above comments. I'm lucky enough to have both the 920 and the fenix 3 sapphire version. I bought the 920 after my 910 broke last year, and I bought the fenix on release after my day-to-day watch finally bit the dust.

Both are great watches. Both have recorded workouts without a problem. Neither had suffered any 'day to day' problems. The 920 is a tri specific watch, and I wouldn't be seen dead with it on in the office, the fenix is more of a multisport watch that you can wear all day, everyday. The unit is a tad heavier, a little bigger, but barely noticeable once it's on (and you're using the rubber strap - I find the metal strap unsurprisingly adds the weight).

I've raced with my 920 and it did everything that was asked of it ( my season was over when I bought the fenix). I can't imagine I'll have any problems with the fenix if I do race with it later, but I'm still going to keep my 920 for racing. May as well get my moneys worth out of it.

If I was looking for a watch today, I'd buy the fenix and leave the 920 on the shelf.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saqeralkhalifa wrote:
Fenix 3 hands down. I've owned a lot of Garmins, A LOT, and think that the most well-rounded watch in the market today is the Fenix 3, even beating by MILES the Apple Watch. Don't just get any Fenix 3, but make sure it is the Saphire version.

Does the sapphire version come with the red band too or only metal band?

How does the metal band work in the ocean and pool swims.. does it rust?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine came with a black band. My metal strap hasn't rusted after my minor exploits in either the sea or the fresh water lakes 'round here.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It comes with both rubber and metal. I always have the metal on for all types of training, but put on the rubber for the two 70.3s I have done (Putrajaya and Mallorca). No issues whatsoever with the metal, knocked it many places, no scratches. Go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd reiterate one clearly distinguishing feature of the 920xt over the Fenix 3: the quick release. I didn't realize how much I'd miss it until I didn't have it for the Fenix 3. I suppose I'd put it this way:

If you want a *triathlon* watch, then I'd go for the 920xt. It has features, most notably the quick release, that are specifically designed for training for and racing in triathlons.

If you want other things in your watch, including a more office appropriate look (though, for what it's worth, my wife thought I looked like a rap mogul wearing the Fenix 3 given its size), then the Fenix 3 might be better for you, though I'd argue you lose something of real value in not having the quick release. If Garmin ever develops a quick release for the Fenix 3, then that might change things.

I did a sprint triathlon this past weekend, I was wearing my 920xt. The guy next to me in transition was wearing a Fenix 3. We both happened to be in T1 at the same time. While he was fumbling around trying to get his watch secured to his bike, I attached my watch in literally a second and was on my way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my Fenix three a couple of weeks ago and I do not regret waiting for it over the 920. However, I was looking for a regular watch to wear too so that heavily influenced my decision. When people see it, they think it is a dive watch or something because it is on the large side, I loaded a roman numeral watchface which looks very cool. You do need to keep it on the current rev as they are still working out some bugs, which is the same with the 920. Keep an eye out if it doesn't connect to your phone for a while, if BT is constantly searching for a connection the battery will run down quickly. I don't use quick mounts so that wasn't an issue for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I did extensive research last year on a new watch and was down to the Fenix 2 and the Suunto Ambit 2 Sapphire. I ultimately went with the Suunto because the Fenix 2 had so many issues and bugs that were not being fixed by Garmin, also the Fenix 2 was a bit too cheaply made and GI Joe looking IMO.

Now I have the Fenix 3 and couldn't be happier. I looked at the Suunto Ambit 3 but the Fenix 3 has so many more features it is not even a competition anymore. My Fenix 3 is the Sapphire edition, the metal band on the sapphire really classes the watch up a lot IMO. I have worn it every day all day and night since I got it in late February. Battery life is excellent, the features are awesome and work well, notifications are handy while riding, my wife loves the Garmin Live Track for when I am riding alone. I had one freeze the day of an update, reset the watch and it has been fine. That was the only time it had an issue.

Some say the lack of quick release is an issue for them. I primarily bike these days and my Fenix is the only bike computer I own. I don't mount it to the bike, just a quick glance at the wrist works fine for me. Very nice that I don't have to move it between my four bikes, I always have it on so I just grab a bike and already have a computer. I did the same with all my GPS watches in triathlons, just keep it on the wrist. You don't need to stare at data the entire ride and it saves you time in both transitions. If you move the watch to the inside of your wrist, the display is right in your face while on the aero bars.

The ability to add apps, data fields and different watch faces through Garmin IQ is another cool bonus.

Anyway, I was nervous about switching from Suunto to Garmin. Suunto has the rep for being rock solid and for the year I used Suunto it was absolutely rock solid, never a freeze, reset anything, it just plain worked. Suunto also has the rep for best GPS tracks. The features made me move to the Fenix and it has been 98% as solid as the Suunto, the GPS tracks are just as good in my experience. The Fenix works much better as a daily wear watch, looks better, is slimmer, and the features make it a great all around watch. I definitely recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the live tracking work? Does it connect to my iPhone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Bluetooth to your phone. Your phone to Garmin servers.

Then it shares a link with whomever to show where you are on a map.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The great thing is it doesn't use your phone battery for the gps signal. The RoadID app will allow people to follow you as you ride but as it is using the phone GPS, it kills your phone battery on a medium to long ride. The Garmin live track uses the watch GPS and the phone just provides the Internet connection to send the location. Tons less drain on your phone battery so you still have a working phone in case of emergency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the 920 and the fenix 3 as well and much prefer the fenix 3. Like others who have responded, I prefer it simply because it looks more like a normal watch and I prefer to wear it when I'm travelling. It definitely has a bigger profile than the 920 and may be a bit bulky if you wear it underneath a wetsuit or something else, but I just think its a better looking watch for every day use and it more than gets the job done for activity/sport.

I haven't used all of the activity modes, just running, indoor running, biking, pool swim, and open water swim, but with each of them its worked perfect. Other people that I know who have used it have had similar good experiences.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [raflopez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone please give a real world difference between the Sapphire and 'regular' watch, outside of the metal wristband?
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Can someone please give a real world difference between the Sapphire and 'regular' watch, outside of the metal wristband?

Sapphire's got a metal band (plus the rubber strap) and has a different 'sapphire' face. Apparently it's a higher spec than the regular watch. Whether this actually makes any difference is another matter, but I'm not about to do a scratch test on the two.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sapphire is a much harder material that you'll find on the faces of much higher end watches like Rolex's or Omega's, its the reason that you never see them with scratches.

The benefit to sapphire on watches is that its VERY difficult to scratch, as in you'd have to make a very concerted effort to actually damage it. Sapphire has a hardness of about 9 on Moh's hardness scale, which is just below diamond and just above hardened steel. The downside is that its more expensive. I'd say its worth the extra $100 if you're going to wear it as an every day watch, especially since it comes with the metal wrist strap.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bit the bullet and went with a Fenix 3 Sapphire! Wow so far this is leaps and bounds better than my old 910XT!

Glad I got the Sapphire over the regular :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my Fenix 3 for a month and just returned it. I love the look and don't mind that it doesn't have the quick release, but the run pace and distance were significantly off from day 1 and don't have the patience to wait for Garmin to fix the bugs. If they do I'll probably buy another one because I think it has the potential to be an incredible watch. If not, I'll go with the 920. In the meantime I'll stick with my $100 Forerunner 10 which never has any problems.

Does anyone know why the Fenix 3 is having all these issues while the 920 doesn't? They have pretty much the same guts right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raflopez wrote:
Sapphire is a much harder material that you'll find on the faces of much higher end watches like Rolex's or Omega's, its the reason that you never see them with scratches.

The benefit to sapphire on watches is that its VERY difficult to scratch, as in you'd have to make a very concerted effort to actually damage it. Sapphire has a hardness of about 9 on Moh's hardness scale, which is just below diamond and just above hardened steel. The downside is that its more expensive. I'd say its worth the extra $100 if you're going to wear it as an every day watch, especially since it comes with the metal wrist strap.

I once dropped my 310xt and had the screen broken.
Would the Fenix sapphire glass survive a drop from my arm?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix3 vs 920XT [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
-The quick release for the 920xt is awfully handy for racing.

That would be enough to make the decision for me. I use my 310xt as my bike computer, and put it on my wrist in T2. If I have to replace it I'll want the same again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next