Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone remember Softride Power V - Beam Weight limit
Quote | Reply
Hi All, I'm seriously looking at purchasing an older (90's era) Softride Power V carbon model bike. My research on the internet isn't providing much information on the Power V model. The Large size frame is within my needs; basically wanting it as a pleasure bike to rebuild and fix up with modern drivetrain. I'm 6'8" at 250 lbs and I'm trying to find out the weight limit on the Power V's beam. I have spoken with a lady that worked for Softride in the 1990's and she thought for that bike in large frame model, I was under the limit. She indicated there were always "tags" on the beam that provided the weight limit. Does anyone recall the Power V specs or does anyone still have a Power V that has a beam sticker. Thanks to all, much appreciated! Doug
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone remember Softride Power V - Beam Weight limit [dougcjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
240 for classic beams
200 for rocket beams

https://web.archive.org/...ide.com/faq.asp#12.0

I went from a softride to a titanflex, love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone remember Softride Power V - Beam Weight limit [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin, thanks for the info!
Much appreciated... hard info to find.
Enjoy the TitanFlex!
I've always liked the beam design but haven't owned one!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone remember Softride Power V - Beam Weight limit [dougcjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the Rider that sent the PM... thanks for the info and Beam Tag ID's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious, anyone still riding the Power V competitivly? Have you performed any updates: fork, drive train, 11sp Di2. Wheels, etc. Looked at the Spinergy Stealth PBO 650's... little heavy but report good for 200 lb plus riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just purchased a Rocket TT and am considering building it to be as modern (as opposed to retro - cool) as possible. Drilling holes in the top tube and having an upper end cockpit are my initial plans. Hopefully disc/trispoke if they become available in 650c. A fork upgrade would be nice but 650c aero forks aren't that easy to find. That said, I don't think I'd ride it in serious competition instead of a few more modern bikes in my stable. I'd like Jackmott, Desertdude, Jim@ERO and some other to chime in but I presume frame aerodynamics have come a long way since the Softride heyday.
Still, the Dimond/Falco/Ventum resurrection makes me hope for some wind tunnel test data for Softride lovers!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone remember Softride Power V - Beam Weight limit [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Dimond is very nice! I share the city it's made, and you couldn't get a more friendly helpful group of guys... Enjoyed learning from their info! It's a bit out of my reach at the moment... Maybe a future ride. Found a few rockets, I like the design but I'm a little too big to fit them. I was also considering a fork change... No strong reason, but would like to convert threaded to threadless. Was the Softride 650's the same as the 700's frame? If one installed a 700 fork, can the rear handle a 700 and brake pad adjustment... Or no clearance? Enjoy the Rocket TT rebuild, it'll be a fun project with a nice result!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Tri/TT frames, it's 650c up to size L, then 700c for XL. Road frames have 700c for L and i think medium as well.
Like you, my first thought was to try fitting 700c wheels in my (small) Rocket TT. Unfortunately it would take a lot of shaving off of metal plus removing the rear brake hanger to make 700c wheels fit.The uppermost portion is where the fit is tightest.
In another thread here on ST, someone successfully transferred the rear brake to the bottem bracket. No thread about attempting the 700c rear wheel switch though.
Considered a 700c front and a 650c rear, but geometries might be super weird haha.
Post some pics of your bike if you do buy and build one up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am planing to put ETap on mine!! Will let u guys know what happened...
In Reply To:
Quote Reply