Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SusanH wrote:
Matt,
Sorry if I missed this, how did you carry or get 5 bottles of calories during the event? 3 to start, 2 at special needs?
Thx

I actually put 4 bottles on my frame and 1 in special needs. I didn't know if I was going to take the one in special needs or not. If I was in a group, I wouldn't have wanted to slow down at all and would have just skipped it. I had 1 bottle in there just in case I needed it, and it turned out I could grab it being I was riding alone at that point. I would have got some calories at the aid stations somehow if I wouldn't have got the last bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response Matt. So great that you make time for dinner with the wife so often, happy wife... You know.

Follow up question, you say you strength train 4 x per week, would you mind sharing some details of your routine?

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about that rear bottle cage mount to the saddle rails? Is that custom made or who makes that?

- Jake
------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: jcooley: May 21, 15 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I bought your shoes worn in your last IM win do they get a bit of extra speed now that you have won two IMs? Have not worn them yet since I am waiting for the right time to wear them. They have only been worn during a win I guess they have big expectations now! Either way great win and good luck the rest of the season!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [jcooley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized Reserve Rack mounted upside down.

Regards

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

- Jake
------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Matt, big congrats. Feel free answering some of the questions below or ignore (some pros may choose to keep this somewhat confidential)

Paul- I don't all of these answers for you, but will give you what I do.
  • Height - 5'10
  • Weight - 150ish (trying to increase!)
  • Age -30
  • Percent body fat - Don't track this regularly. As long as my workouts are going as planned and I am getting faster, this isn't important to me.
  • IM Texas Bike Normalized Power - 275w
  • FTP or IF (I guess we can derive on from the other) - Have not tested this for a while, but let's say 360ish....
  • Current 10K speed - I have never ran a 10k race or even a 10k training session. Did cover a 5k in a "VO2" workout a few weeks back in 14:50 alone on a track...
  • Current 400m swim time - Again, never do this (meters or yards). I can't tell you the last time I swam longer than 200 scy in a single interval during a main set.
  • average run mileage week last 6 months - 40 to 50 miles
  • biggest run mileage week - 72 miles 3 weeks prior to IMTX
  • sport background - Wrestled in College until I dislocated my hip at end of freshman year. Then I tried to get back into running but never really got back to HS form while in college. I started training for Tris when working on my master's degree. Wanted a stress reliever and had set a goal at age 15 to finish an IM in the next 10 years. Did IMCdA and was hooked.
  • next race before Kona - I have no idea at this point. I was 100% focused on IMTX. I am taking the week to catch up and will meet with my coach Wednesday or Thursday and develop a plan to attack the Kona build. I won't do another full IM this summer, that is for sure.

Sorry, you said "ask away" hopefully that's not too much :-)

Nothing to do with triathlon, but what is your masters degree in?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Undergrad - Athletic Training
Master's is in Exercise Science
Doctorate in Education
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 night plyometric
2 night yoga (one on sunday too)
2 night strength training in gym (lower body and power lift emphasis)
1 night TRX routine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So impressive with your time management. What a beast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as an FYI...while a popular benchmark within the triathlon community, in my opinion and experience, the 400m/yd; 1000m/yd; 2000m/yd benchmarks are fairly useless and actually a little counterproductive for "triathlon" swim training. It would be a lot more telling and indicative to find out what an all out 100 is and what pace he can hold a set number of 100s on with a small rest interval.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I'm sniffing around here for pic of your setup.....
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Just as an FYI...while a popular benchmark within the triathlon community, in my opinion and experience, the 400m/yd; 1000m/yd; 2000m/yd benchmarks are fairly useless and actually a little counterproductive for "triathlon" swim training. It would be a lot more telling and indicative to find out what an all out 100 is and what pace he can hold a set number of 100s on with a small rest interval.

I agree with you on this. The metrics you suggested are more indicative of pack swimming. Actually post race, I had a conversation with Lionel Sanders along those lines. He said he swam 3800m solo and his pool times were not translating to open water. I suggested that the pro swim race is much more like a bike race and he had to get his all out 100m and 200m time down to get in the pack and had to be able to surge and take it up to stay in and be vigilant that gaps don't open. It's not like Frodo and Gomez and Potts are going to swim at a nice steady pace early. They will yoyo the pace to break as many hangers on as possible (not that Sanders is in position to do that, but others will do to him what Potts does to others). Sorry for the thread hijack. This thread should be about Matt, so Matt, how many were in your swim group and how steady or volatile was the pace in the first 5-10 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 seconds rest? 10 seconds rest?

15 of them?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SusanH wrote:
Thank you! I'm sniffing around here for pic of your setup.....

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_Bike_by_brand/Quintana_Roo/Matt_Hanson_s_QR_PR6_5089.html
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
5 seconds rest? 10 seconds rest?

15 of them?

Earlier in this thread I asked Matt about this and he said in his taper for IM TX he was holding 1:01/2s scy on 1:25.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim with SnappingT as well and while it varies, I'd say most of the time the rest works out to between 15-20 secs. For example, the main set for me this morning was:

3x100 on 1:35 with a 1:16 hold pace (repeat 5x with 1min rest between)

I did have to get out though after 3 rounds to get home to the kids.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was specifically asking abotu this:

Quote:
It would be a lot more telling and indicative to find out what an all out 100 is and what pace he can hold a set number of 100s on with a small rest interval.

Quote:
I swim with SnappingT as well and while it varies, I'd say most of the time the rest works out to between 15-20 secs. For example, the main set for me this morning was:

20s seems like a large rest interval to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SnappingT wrote:

I agree with you on this. The metrics you suggested are more indicative of pack swimming. Actually post race, I had a conversation with Lionel Sanders along those lines. He said he swam 3800m solo and his pool times were not translating to open water. I suggested that the pro swim race is much more like a bike race and he had to get his all out 100m and 200m time down to get in the pack and had to be able to surge and take it up to stay in and be vigilant that gaps don't open. It's not like Frodo and Gomez and Potts are going to swim at a nice steady pace early. They will yoyo the pace to break as many hangers on as possible (not that Sanders is in position to do that, but others will do to him what Potts does to others). Sorry for the thread hijack. This thread should be about Matt, so Matt, how many were in your swim group and how steady or volatile was the pace in the first 5-10 minutes?

Ha...thanks. There were a few times early on with some surges, but all-in-all the chase pack felt fairly comfortable to me. I was able to control where I wanted to be in the pack and pushed to the front 1/4 of the pack in the canal. Overall, I thought the swim was much slower than I anticipated having to go. No one really wanted to take charge and I guess I was in that same boat as well. There was a few times where we all ran into each other and it turned full contact. The first when the jet skier cut in front of the group and the second was right after the second left turn back towards the canal. Outside of that, it was a pretty benign swim with a fairly large group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I was specifically asking abotu this:

Quote:
It would be a lot more telling and indicative to find out what an all out 100 is and what pace he can hold a set number of 100s on with a small rest interval.

Quote:

20s seems like a large rest interval to me.

Recovery intervals are all relative to the intensity you are swimming at and the goal of the swim. For me, holding 1:03 on 1:20 is manageable (most days...), but to go 1:02, I'd need to go on 1:25, and to hold 1:01s, I would need to be at 1:30 or greater for send off. I don't believe there is any 1 swim workout that is a metric. Since you held 1:xx on 1:xx does not automatically mean you can swim 5x:xx. To get a good sense of this, you need to look at varying workouts throughout the course of the entire build. Nearly every swim that Coach Tim had me do leading into IMTX had very specific hold paces as well as send off intervals....and they were all set that way for a reason. Sometimes the swims were more aerobic based and "dense" with only 2-3 seconds recovery. Other times they were very anaerobic with up to 4 minutes recovery. The rest interval is determined by the goal of the set and by following sound physiological principles. Just my 2 cents of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow.

Don't take this the wrong way, but when I swam in college we would do 30x100 on 1:30 - I would typically hold between 65 and 68 depending on the surrounding training.

If you can hold 1:01 for a significant number on the 1:30 or any of the combos you mentioned - I'm flabbergasted you couldn't make the lead group last weekend. There were 1:45 to 1:48 200 freestyle swimmers on my team that couldn't hold 1:01 on that set.

I know that adds no value, and I mean no criticism - just my observation.

What you describe sounds very much like how we trained the mid-d swimmers in my college program.

Digressing -

It seriously makes me wonder about my overall training structure - as right now I'm able to do about 1:13/14s for 15x100 @ 1:35 SCM - which would be a 1:07 for SCY. I'd have to screw up some serious motivation to turn in 1:10 SCM (or faster) several times in a row - and I would bet money on me being able to swim a 52. SCY 100 something from a dive right now. Yet - I was able to swim a 52 last weekend at IMTX and it felt like a walk in the park. ETA: even some of the swim sets that jonnyo has posted that are staples - seem really intimidating/impossible to me now - and possibly even back when I was in college - and in much better swim shape.

/head scratch
Last edited by: sentania: May 22, 15 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that 30x100@1:30 scm?

Either way, that is very interesting. I'm sure those 1:48 guys would easily be front pack though because of that 1:48 speed. In my opinion, I think that major change of gears/speed is what is so difficult for us adult onset swimmers to develop, and something that can be crucial for the pro swims. I swim with a strong group of swimmers and can hang/out last them on those endurance sets, but a one off 100/200 and they smoke me.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Wow.

Don't take this the wrong way, but when I swam in college we would do 30x100 on 1:30 - I would typically hold between 65 and 68 depending on the surrounding training.

If you can hold 1:01 for a significant number on the 1:30 or any of the combos you mentioned - I'm flabbergasted you couldn't make the lead group last weekend. There were 1:45 to 1:48 200 freestyle swimmers on my team that couldn't hold 1:01 on that set.

I know that adds no value, and I mean no criticism - just my observation.

What you describe sounds very much like how we trained the mid-d swimmers in my college program.

Digressing -

It seriously makes me wonder about my overall training structure - as right now I'm able to do about 1:13/14s for 15x100 @ 1:35 SCM - which would be a 1:07 for SCY. I'd have to screw up some serious motivation to turn in 1:10 SCM (or faster) several times in a row - and I would bet money on me being able to swim a 52. SCY 100 something from a dive right now. Yet - I was able to swim a 52 last weekend at IMTX and it felt like a walk in the park. ETA: even some of the swim sets that jonnyo has posted that are staples - seem really intimidating/impossible to me now - and possibly even back when I was in college - and in much better swim shape.

/head scratch

Yes, we train very similar to mid distance swimmers, because at least in the pro field, it is all about the start. I lined up next to Faris on Saturday. He got to speed WAY faster than me and as result, I missed the first pack. I've said this a few times on here already, but no one wanted to take control in the second pack, so a large gap opened up. I was not swimming all out and fully believe that I could have gone much faster. If I would have, one of two things would have happened. First, I would have swam by myself in "no man's land" came out of the water having expended much more energy than I had to on the day in the pack and would have had a whole group working together on the bike to chase me down. Second scenario would be to swim harder and have the entire group latch on to me and end up dragging the pack along expending more energy than everyone behind me. Then I get to the bike in a pack, but having worked harder than everyone else. Neither option is a good tactical decision (and likely the reason no one wanted to take control of the pack), and as Herbert embarrassingly pointed out on the bike build link (http://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_s_QR_PR6_5089.html), race tactics played a large portion in my game plan. It is very rare that you can just "race your race" in fields as deep talent wise as this one was.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In college so SCY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You jumped onto the stage like you had not just accomplished the fastest course IM. The back of the room made a wincing sound when you ran up the steps as if we all felt the pain but you.

Great acceptance speech and great job!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” - Albert Einstein
Quote Reply

Prev Next