Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Matt - IIRC, you were part of the pro swim camp Tim put on this past Jan at The Woodlands, correct??? How did that camp work out for you and how much did you improve in the 30 days or so??? Bet you liked having John Kenney and Balazs there to push you in the workouts!!! From what I've read/heard, John K. is just a motor in the water:)

And of course, congrats on your great race!!!

Had to urban dictionary IIRC....but yes, I was part of the camp with Tim and Magnolia Masters. He is my swim coach, but we typically work together remotely. The January camp was a great opportunity for me. We focused almost exclusively on swimming. It was great to have John and Balazs as well as Cody and Justin to push me every day. I took around 3-4 second off my 100 hold pace for threshold sets. Essentially, I took about the same amount of time off in the course of a month as I did the previous 11 months working with Tim. As soon as my cycling and running volume and intensity returned in Feb, I was able to hold on to 2-3 seconds of the drop and as soon as I entered my taper for IMTX, I was swimming just as well as I was in January again.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Matt - IIRC, you were part of the pro swim camp Tim put on this past Jan at The Woodlands, correct??? How did that camp work out for you and how much did you improve in the 30 days or so??? Bet you liked having John Kenney and Balazs there to push you in the workouts!!! From what I've read/heard, John K. is just a motor in the water:)

Had to urban dictionary IIRC....but yes, I was part of the camp with Tim and Magnolia Masters. He is my swim coach, but we typically work together remotely. The January camp was a great opportunity for me. We focused almost exclusively on swimming. It was great to have John and Balazs as well as Cody and Justin to push me every day. I took around 3-4 second off my 100 hold pace for threshold sets. Essentially, I took about the same amount of time off in the course of a month as I did the previous 11 months working with Tim. As soon as my cycling and running volume and intensity returned in Feb, I was able to hold on to 2-3 seconds of the drop and as soon as I entered my taper for IMTX, I was swimming just as well as I was in January again.

Awesome result for a one month camp!!! Can you "share" your 100 scy threshold pace, or is that "privileged info"??? Also, how do you/Tim define "threshold pace", i.e. some people will say the pace you can hold for 20 x 100 scy with 10-15 sec rest, vs others will say 10 x 100 scy w/ only 5 sec rest.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoroughly enjoyed watching the race, and super congratulations on your win, Matt. Well done.

My question is about your nutrition, mainly on the bike; what was your bike nutrition, and how many calories? You mentioned you carried 4 full bottles with you, and picked up one in special needs; what were these? Do you stay in aero while consuming calories? What was your water strategy on the bike?

Lastly, how many calories do you carry with you on the run - just a 400 calorie liquid shot flask? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Awesome result for a one month camp!!! Can you "share" your 100 scy threshold pace, or is that "privileged info"??? Also, how do you/Tim define "threshold pace", i.e. some people will say the pace you can hold for 20 x 100 scy with 10-15 sec rest, vs others will say 10 x 100 scy w/ only 5 sec rest.

Coming into IMTX, I was holding 1:01/2s scy pushing off at 1:25. In my full build, I was holding 1:03/4 on the same push off interval. "Threshold" was probably not the right term to use since, as you suggest, everyone does this differently. Tim has a very specific philosophy when it comes to swim training that centers around developing neuromuscular efficiency and connecting everything along the kinetic chain. He mentioned that he is thinking of doing a detailed write up on ST at some point shortly, so I'll let him address this as he sees fit.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some_devil wrote:
Thoroughly enjoyed watching the race, and super congratulations on your win, Matt. Well done.

My question is about your nutrition, mainly on the bike; what was your bike nutrition, and how many calories? You mentioned you carried 4 full bottles with you, and picked up one in special needs; what were these? Do you stay in aero while consuming calories? What was your water strategy on the bike?

Lastly, how many calories do you carry with you on the run - just a 400 calorie liquid shot flask? Thanks!

On the bike I use EFS-PRO for all of my calories. Each bottle had 360 calories in it and I downed all 5 bottles completely (so I averaged 420 calories per hour). Yes, I stay aero while drinking whenever possible. I am sponsored by First Endurance, but also serve on their research board. I did some of the research and field testing with EFS-PRO and am really happy with the product that they came out with. My water strategy on the bike is to dump as much on me as possible, just like the run :). I did drink water at most of the bottle exchanges, but that wasn't my first priority.

On the run, I have 1 flask of EFS liquid Shot. I use a reusable flask that is 8 ounces and put 7 oz of liquid shot and 1 oz of water so it comes out a little easier. I usually down that by the half way mark then pick up another flask at special needs, this one has a scoop of pre-race in it as well (for caffeine). With Texas being a 3 loop run, I was a bit more conservative with the first flask because I couldn't pick up the second one until almost mile 20. I only downed 1/2 of the second flask. At the aid stations for the run, my first priority again is getting water on myself and ice/sponges down my jersey. I will take cola if I can as I run through as well whenever I can do so without slowing down. At the mile 25 aid station, I even tried a sip of Red Bull just to see how my gut reacted to it under stress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question.... just want to say when I was on my first loop in the trail area the 1st place male bike passed me I knew whoever it was would be moving and that trail is narrow. I stopped and stood to the side to watch you pass and even in the heat of your race you looked over and thanked me for stepping aside. Not a huge thing to do but wanted to thank you for the gratitude you showed at that point of the race where you had to be hurting.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race this weekend, and congrats on a course record.

I saw that your typical breakfast includes Ultragen. It's a product that I'm not familiar with. It looks like it's a recovery product, but seems to work well for you pre-race. Was that something you just tested with trial and error, or was it a recommendation from First Endurance? I'll be doing Ironman Florida later this year and pre-race nutrition is still way up in the air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Coming into IMTX, I was holding 1:01/2s scy pushing off at 1:25. In my full build, I was holding 1:03/4 on the same push off interval. "Threshold" was probably not the right term to use since, as you suggest, everyone does this differently. Tim has a very specific philosophy when it comes to swim training that centers around developing neuromuscular efficiency and connecting everything along the kinetic chain. He mentioned that he is thinking of doing a detailed write up on ST at some point shortly, so I'll let him address this as he sees fit.

Holding 1:01s, and 1:04s even when tired, on 1:25 is quite impressive IMO but not too surprising given your very large engine plus your upper body strength from your wrestling years. A guy like you can prob continue to improve and get down to a 50-ish IM swim. Thanks for sharing your info:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [RN86314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only is Matt wicked fast he's quite possibly the nicest guy in triathlon. It's a pleasure sharing the pool with him when he's in town. Notice I didn't say the same lane. I'm in lane 2 and he's in lane 1.

Interesting factoid: the entire men's podium swam in lane 1 at Magnolia Masters with SnappingT (Tim) leading into the race. Matt has already discussed working with Tim. Joe Skipper spent about a month swimming with us while he was in town and Ronnie swam as well the week of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and thanks for the insights. Greatly appreciate the tips. Quick question...did you run with socks during IMTX?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
Great race this weekend, and congrats on a course record.

I saw that your typical breakfast includes Ultragen. It's a product that I'm not familiar with. It looks like it's a recovery product, but seems to work well for you pre-race. Was that something you just tested with trial and error, or was it a recommendation from First Endurance? I'll be doing Ironman Florida later this year and pre-race nutrition is still way up in the air.

I have a few requirements for my pre-race meal. In 2013, I was throwing up during the swim in 2 of the 3 Ironman races I did (not fun at all). I knew I needed to change things up to prevent this from happening again. I tried a few different things, but like the Ultragen the best. Frist, it has the carbohydrate to protein ratio that I want (and is supported by research) for a pre-race meal. It just happens that this is similar to most recovery recommendations as well. I can get the number of calories I want by having 2 servings. Since it is fluid, it empties quickly. Oh, and it tastes great. I want to get to the start of the swim feeling just a bit hungry, but knowing that all tanks are topped off and Ultragen has worked well for me. I did experiment quite a bit with the timing before the race by taking it at different times before my morning swims on the weekend. I found that 3 to 3.5 hours pre-race works best for me. I do not consume any calories in the window between breakfast and race start.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Great race and thanks for the insights. Greatly appreciate the tips. Quick question...did you run with socks during IMTX?

Yes, I used swiftwick socks inside my On Cloud Racers.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Not only is Matt wicked fast he's quite possibly the nicest guy in triathlon. It's a pleasure sharing the pool with him when he's in town. Notice I didn't say the same lane. I'm in lane 2 and he's in lane 1.

Interesting factoid: the entire men's podium swam in lane 1 at Magnolia Masters with SnappingT (Tim) leading into the race. Matt has already discussed working with Tim. Joe Skipper spent about a month swimming with us while he was in town and Ronnie swam as well the week of the race.

Thanks, always great to swim with you all. Wish I could do it more!

I've been working with Tim for about 20 months now. One of the best professional moves I have made. It was fun swimming with Ronnie and Joe the week leading up to the race. If you look at our swim times on Saturday, we miles well have been back in Lane 1. I think the three of us came out of the water within 5 seconds of each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt:

Great race and CONGRATS!!! It is always so cool to see someone who also has a regular job do so well.

1st - no solid foods for breakfast? Just Ultragen and the Optygen / Multi V?

2nd - No gels or solid food on the bike? Just 5 bottles of EFS Pro?

3rd - your build was mostly "tempo"? For most age groupers without hours and hours to train do you think this is the best course of action?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
espejo09 wrote:
Matt, since you are from the mid west and it hasn't warmed up until recently, what was your training like leading up to the race? Did you do any heat acclimation training or did you try to get as fit as possible? do you just race well in hot conditions?
Congrats on the win. Exciting to watch

Good question, glad you brought this up. I spent some time researching with my coach on best protocols for heat acclimation. We discussed sauna, hot bath, working out in the locker room at the college, etc. We decided to just focus on fitness instead. Being from Iowa, it was really difficult to get outside for rides until the end of April. Even when the weather was nice, I often opted for the treadmill or the trainer. One of those reasons was for heat acclimation (rarely use a fan for rides or runs under 2 hours). I also use the treadmill and indoor trainer so I can be very specific with all of my workouts. I am still working full time, so my schedule is very similar to that of an elite AG athlete. I do very few endurance paced workouts during a build. Every workout has a specific purpose and it is a lot easier to ensure that you are meeting that purpose when you don't have to worry about cars, stoplights, weather, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love training outdoors. But I find indoor work to be very efficient and useful for prepping for hot races as well.

As a fellow USD grad and Verm-town native, well done.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

I was thinking about what you were saying about the swim squad and beyond the swim squad it seems that those who came and stayed in Woodlands to do race specific prep did the best. They llikely had optimized blood plasma to deal with the heat and humidity. While not in your crew Angela Naeth came and trained with Outrival crew. Seems like Texas requires humidity prep like Kona. Those who just flew in had a tougher time at the pro level. My 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, You had a great race and I enjoyed watching you on the run. You looked strong the whole time. There was a little chatter on here and the video feed about the age grouper, Josh Terwoord, that ran right behind you for quite a while. I was wondering, were you aware of him shadowing you? If so, did it bother you at all, or did you like the company out on the run? I imagine it was nice for him to have you to pace off of as he went on to the overall AG win.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [bamaE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bamaE wrote:
Matt:

Great race and CONGRATS!!! It is always so cool to see someone who also has a regular job do so well.

1st - no solid foods for breakfast? Just Ultragen and the Optygen / Multi V? Correct. No solid food after 8:00 p.m. evening before a race.

2nd - No gels or solid food on the bike? Just 5 bottles of EFS Pro? Again, correct.

3rd - your build was mostly "tempo"? For most age groupers without hours and hours to train do you think this is the best course of action? This is an impossible question to answer. There is no one method that will work for everyone. For many people, that much time in zone 3 will only lead to injury. You must have an aerobic base to build off of first. In previous years, I did a great deal of aerobic work. I spent quite a bit of time in that zone in November and December as well, and will likely do quite a bit of work there again over the summer. This is where a knowledgeable coach is a benefit. They can help you figure out the appropriate periodization schedule for you as an individual.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I got my doctorate from USD...but that is my only tie to "vermtown." I am originally from a small town call West Concord, MN and am currently living in Storm Lake, IA.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
Matt, You had a great race and I enjoyed watching you on the run. You looked strong the whole time. There was a little chatter on here and the video feed about the age grouper, Josh Terwoord, that ran right behind you for quite a while. I was wondering, were you aware of him shadowing you? If so, did it bother you at all, or did you like the company out on the run? I imagine it was nice for him to have you to pace off of as he went on to the overall AG win.

Yes, I saw this discussion in the "official IMTX" thread as well. No, Josh did not bother me one bit. We chatted a bit on and off. I typically pulled away from him in the aid stations and he caught back up shortly after. Honestly, didn't think anything of it. The last mile, I started to slow down a bit so I could get all of the sponges out of my jersey and get zipped up. He went WAY out of his way to go around me, which he didn't need to do at all. People were giving him grief for passing me at the end on another thread for some reason. I was slowing him down at that point, he should not have to alter his stride one bit because of me. We joked around a bit after the race when I ran into him, he seemed like a really nice guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I am still working full time....

Unbelievable!!! 8'07' while continuing to work full-time!!! You, sir, are awesome.

Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
some_devil wrote:

On the bike I use EFS-PRO for all of my calories. Each bottle had 360 calories in it and I downed all 5 bottles completely (so I averaged 420 calories per hour). Yes, I stay aero while drinking whenever possible. I am sponsored by First Endurance, but also serve on their research board. I did some of the research and field testing with EFS-PRO and am really happy with the product that they came out with. My water strategy on the bike is to dump as much on me as possible, just like the run :). I did drink water at most of the bottle exchanges, but that wasn't my first priority.

On the run, I have 1 flask of EFS liquid Shot. I use a reusable flask that is 8 ounces and put 7 oz of liquid shot and 1 oz of water so it comes out a little easier. I usually down that by the half way mark then pick up another flask at special needs, this one has a scoop of pre-race in it as well (for caffeine). With Texas being a 3 loop run, I was a bit more conservative with the first flask because I couldn't pick up the second one until almost mile 20. I only downed 1/2 of the second flask. At the aid stations for the run, my first priority again is getting water on myself and ice/sponges down my jersey. I will take cola if I can as I run through as well whenever I can do so without slowing down. At the mile 25 aid station, I even tried a sip of Red Bull just to see how my gut reacted to it under stress.

Hi Matt - great race!

I have a question about those 360 calorie bottles. Did you dial in the calorie:water ratio that you needed? I think I even read on EFS' website that they recommend 100 cals for 12 ounces of water. At 360 calories, either those bottles were super big, or you determined that the optimal ratio is different for different people or that it's different for bike vs run.

Which was it? Do you feel that you can handle a higher calorie to water ratio when biking?

Thanks for coming on here to answer questions!

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure Matt will answer this more in detail but EFS Pro is dang good, so far I have played with a lot stronger concentrations of it and had zero problems compared to their regular stuff. I used to have small vurps with most other things I have tried but have had zero problems with EFS Pro. Their mixture digest easier and quicker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts of taking a sabbatical of sorts in the fall to completely focus on Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report - Ask Away [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
matthansontri wrote:
some_devil wrote:

Hi Matt - great race!

I have a question about those 360 calorie bottles. Did you dial in the calorie:water ratio that you needed? I think I even read on EFS' website that they recommend 100 cals for 12 ounces of water. At 360 calories, either those bottles were super big, or you determined that the optimal ratio is different for different people or that it's different for bike vs run.

Which was it? Do you feel that you can handle a higher calorie to water ratio when biking?

Thanks for coming on here to answer questions!

Chad-

I mix the bottles with more calories on the bike so I can be sure that I have enough calories to get me through the race. Through experimentation on my long workouts, I figured out how many calories I need to take in during the bike to still be able to run hard. So that's how many calories I put on my bike. I like EFS pro for a number of reasons. It has multiple sugar sources for one which helps with gastric emptying and absorption. It also has a very subtle flavor which is great for hot and humid days. The subtle flavor also allows me to mix it thicker without gagging on it. I do take additional water from the aid stations, so I am drinking more than 5 bottles total (I have no way of knowing how much water I drank since I pour a lot of it on myself as well). Yes, I can handle a much higher calorie to water ratio when biking.
Quote Reply

Prev Next