Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Difference between Specialized and S-Works [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
Do any of the official fixes not include the low stack kit? I don't want to loose my XLabb Torpedo.

Some people with setback pad positions (which the low-stack won't support) reported a Profile T1 aerobar with a T2 Wing basebar being used (with the existing shiv extensions). IMO this is a pretty low-spec. solution and a downgrade from the existing setup.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cage and bottle, maybe. Computer up front, no way. I very much dislike the computer as far back as in that picture. I find it very hard to read and a lot less safe than up front. In that position you have to rotate your head, rather than just glancing down, completely losing any view of the road in the process.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a pretty tight fit but I was still able fit a Speedfil Z4+ onto the XLAB torpedo mount - good enough for me:
[/img][/img]
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [MNrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pics. Do you have any space left to wrap your hands around the grips?

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captainfranz wrote:
Thanks for the pics. Do you have any space left to wrap your hands around the grips?

I can wrap pinky/ring finger completely around the grip. Pointer and middle fingers make it 85% around before running into the sides of the bottle. Feels plenty safe for riding.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the XLab, but I have the HC system on my transition with the low stack and it works fine. I had to move the single Velcro attachment point behind the aero bar clamp and then slide the bottle cage forward in the bracket and everything is back where it was in relation to my head.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like single strap - bracket solution might be ok if strapped behind the aero-bar clamp. The HC still has the computer behind the the bottle, but it looks like the new FC might work for me.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only used the HC system, so this may not apply to the FC (2 point strap), but when you move the bottle forward in the bracket it tends to bounce on rough roads. If you have it too far forward it can be painful when it bounces down and pinches your thumbs between the bars and the full bottle. As you drink that goes away, but while it's full it is annoying.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got the bike back. 5 weeks at the shop awaiting parts. Yes the solution was a low stack kit. Zero rise extensions happen to work for me, but it is not cool offering a different front end with inferior functionality compared to the original. Did they cut my original extensions? Looks like. I didn't ask too many questions. Too mad at the shop at the time. One extension was longer than the other. One shifter was rotated on the bar end about 20 degrees. And they completely ruined the bar tape. Tape was black when I gave the bike to them. Tape was light gray when I got the bike back. It was that grimy. Embarrassing. They should have replaced it without me making them replace it.

I also didn't get $100 credit. They gave me a phone number to call for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should not have to call for the credit. The letter says to just present it for $100 credit. See here: http://www.slowtwitch.com/images/glinks/articles/WhatWeNoticed/LetterSpecConsumers.PDF
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. I took that letter with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I would find a new bike shop... It sounds like the one you took yours too has no concept of customer service...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2x
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
I think I would find a new bike shop... It sounds like the one you took yours too has no concept of customer service...

Joel
Well the thing is I bought the bike there so I took it back there. They are a well known well respected large cycling shop and a Spec dealer. But their success means they are constantly busy. Their mechanics are a combination of overworked in a constant rush, and 'I don't give a crap about the work I do' attitude.

My preferred LBS is a great tri specific shop, but not a Spec dealer.

I work on my own bikes so seldom do I need a shop. But could not do the recall myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I would take pictures of what they did to the bike and then send an e-mail explaining your overall experience to specialized customer service because what you experienced is not acceptable and that dealer needs to be corrected... I would also probably put it up on one of the online review sites because I certainly would not want to do business with that LBS...

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The funny thing is this LBS has been around for decades and they consistently win those "best bike shop" awards because those are popularity contests and not any sort of reflection on their customer service or especially the mechanics.

I'd go to my tri shop any day over these clowns. But like I said this LBS is a Spec dealer so I had to deal with them.

I will write some stuff and fire it off. I've already decided to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS has had my bike for almost 4 weeks, and still no luck. I've also inquired about the $100 offer, but I was told that I would have to handle that on my own with Specialized.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [ice_berg_slim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It amazes how different experiences people have had with different LBS. I know if I were treated like you were that particular shop would lose my business forever.

If I were you I would get my bike back and take it to another shop.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [Domal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This replacement is really trolling.

since february i have been calling local stores here in SG and Philippines.

still no sign of changes especially in Philippines where I got my SHIV.

This is sad since the risk in training (using the bike) is there. Up to now, no news when our aerobar be changed?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dropped my bike today and they had it back in an hour. There were about 8 other Shivs there. I asked about the $100 certificate but they were unsure. They said they thought they got it from Specialized after the sent the parts back. Does anyone know for sure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/img]
this works for me (for now)
Last edited by: hapuhapu: May 13, 15 0:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are other people who have been waiting finally starting to get bikes back? Mine has been at the shop for almost three weeks nowand they still tell me that they are waiting on parts from Specialized. They had been telling me this for a week or two before I brought my bike in so I figured the parts would definitely be coming soon. I was wrong. Between Specialized and my LBS, this is really not an impressive operation. First, nobody tells me about the recall, then when I ask about it they tell me to not ride my bike because it's too dangerous but then fail to take any concrete steps to fix it. I tried calling Specialized and the guy I talked to said for the shop to call their warranty rep and have parts expedited. I asked the shop and they said it doesn't work like that, and that Specialized had the information and was supposed to be sending parts out soon. Why is this so hard?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [tomindc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your troubles! Fail on specialized and your bike shop. Any chance you can take it to a different shop?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My observation is that they key to getting the parts you need is to track down your local Specilaized warranty rep for your LBS. I am not sure who is actually to blame (Specialized/LBS/warranty reps/all of the above) in the awful communication (or lack thereof) breakdown we are all experiencing, but once my rep was involved progress was eventually made. Tracking that rep down may be the hardest part - many phone calls to Specialized finally got the ball rolling. Not sure why they made the process so overly complicated but that's what finally resolved things for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [tomindc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After four weeks the parts from Specialized finally arrived. They just sent a low stack kit despite me telling them that it would not work with my fit, and providing photos. Glad I didn't give them my bike.
The LBS basically said "talk to Specialized" and then added some BS about the pads not being meant to be that far back (note: this is the shop I bought it from, and they set up the pads). We'll see how the discussions go with Specialized.
Personally, they should have a customer rep on the forum answering questions and helping people navigate the process. They have other employees on ST (and buy ads here), so they know about the forum.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply

Prev Next