Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

need zero offset (or set forward) seatpost ideas
Quote | Reply
Hi all - I have a carbon seatpost with just a little too much rear offset - about 25mm. I want to find a good seatpost with either zero offset or maybe a slight bit of forward seatpost. I want to be a bit steeper, but I don't want to go anywhere near a Profile FastForward post.

Current setup: I'm running my seat as forward as it will go right now, and am at about 78 degrees. The tip of my saddle is right in line with the center of the bottom bracket, so I know I can go more forward without screwing up the handling of the bike.

Reversing a setback post: I've read that a Thomson setback can be reversed to give you a little bit of forward reach. Anybody use this setup?

Zero setback post: I believe that a regular Thomson is zero setback. Any others?
Last edited by: GearGrinder: Sep 26, 05 23:34
Quote Reply
Re: need zero offset (or set forward) seatpost ideas [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: need zero offset (or set forward) seatpost ideas [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
regular Thomson is a zero, works great.

layback Thomson moves you maybe 2cm foward and runs in reverse just fine. I was using one on my Cannondale to bump it to 80 degrees.

The Thomsons are the best posts around, if you've got the $$$ the new Masterpiece posts are lighter than just about anything else out there. Plus if you read the whole post engineering background on thier website you find you really must have one:) I have an alien Ti post with zero setback and I hate the damn thing. I've used maybe 7 or 8 different posts and the Thomson has been teh best ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just found a pretty detailed thread concerning this exact issue, from about a month ago. It supplied all of the answers, so I guess in the name of not repeating ourselves, consider this one dead. Thanks for looking.
Quote Reply
Re: need zero offset (or set forward) seatpost ideas [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the Thompson posts. They are outstanding. Basic, not flashy and functional. If you are looking for a seat-post with no set back, this is your post.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a Thompson zero setback before.

Replaced it with a Winwood Carbon zero set back post. Very nicely made. YOu can get them for less than $100 from all3sports.com.

If you want a carbon zero set back post the Winwood is definitely one of the best values.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomson. They're awesome. I am a big non-believer that carbon posts make bikes ride better. It's all in the mind. Thomsons are very high quality and will outlast the rest of your bike. They're great because they're made of a single piece of aluminum- the clamp on most posts is pressed into the main shaft (a common point of failure). Also, the Thomsons are great for angle adjustability- there are no 'notches' like other posts, that force you do make fixed changes in angle- you can do as little or as much as you want with the Thomson. If I were you, I'd start off with a non-setback Thomson. That's a full 25mm more forward than you currently are. I think (but am not sure) that the Thomson set back has a 16mm offset. If you find that the zero-offset isn't enough, eBay it and get the setback (and flip it forward).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love the Thomson, great adjustibility, and I think it looks great, too. It comes in silver and black. I put a black one on my black and red road bike and a silver one on my titanium tri bike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply