Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hydration systems - which one works best up front
Quote | Reply
okay - I have a question on which style of front hydration works best or is there a reason to choose one over another?

XLabs and PD both make a 'torpedo' style and then you have the PD arodrink, any the option of doing a frame mounted triangle shaped bottle with a long straw.

the goal being to maintain an aero position, which system do you like? what does one offer over the other?

I know that the PD drink system has a double reservoir so that you could have plain water in one and a mix in another.

Perhaps I didnt search deep enough in the thousands of threads but this is on the short list of near future purchases and curious on your input.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pref is a torpedo-style setup (I use the Xlab one). It allows the option of using the refillable torpedo and the straw, or swapping in standard bottles (so you can see what works best for you).

From an aero perspective, a BTA bottle setup is slightly faster than not having a bottle there. Having the straw up does add some drag though (I like that the Xlab allows you to store the straw flat). Torhans systems also test very well. The dual reservoir profile one is not very aero.

I use the torpedo for sprints and Olys (no refilling needed), and use standard bottles for longer events.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're racing to finish near the front....probably need to go with between the arm bottles(bta). They are more aero(usually).
If OTOH you are racing mostly against yourself and not really against others, then the bigger systems with more capacity might be for you. I've been through several systems and am still not 100% happy with any of them. Even the (bta) bottles, while all very similar, each have little things that just bugged me. Fwiw...I prefer (bta) because of the aeroness and convenience of having it rt. There ready to drink. But the (bta) bottles usually do not hold as much as some of the other systems.

If you want a bike that looks nice and clean...bta. If you don't mind stuff hanging all over your bike then another system may be fine.

I have the xlab torpedo...really like it but there was always some fluid in the bottom of it that my straw couldn't reach. I just purchased a Torhans Aero Z for that reason...it has a bottom fed straw that ensures I get every last drop. Nit picky stuff to worry about.

Others systems with screw on lids seemed to develop leaks if they were held between arms vertically.

Good luck searching....I've been through many systems and am still searching for 'the one' :)

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the look of the X Lab Torpedo, but I don't think my Garmin edge 1000 will fit in the out front mount provided (the photo has a 500 with not much room to spare. Does anyone have any suggestions, as I'm after a BTA setup at the moment too.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [Runnadude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XLAB says it will. Check out this thread I started back when I was interested in the 1000. I got the 510 instead. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rmin%201000;#5345106

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am using an X-Lab Torpedo currently. I often get frustrated with the design because it just feels flimsy. I often find myself forgoing the torpedo bottle and placing a regular bottle BTA. I usually run water up front and nutrition on my down tube. I will play with my Super Wing setup behind the seat dependent upon distance. One thing that draws me to the PD mount vs X-Lab is that I always feel that the X-Lab setup is quite flimsy since it only uses velcro mount. I do not have any of the others listed here.

One thing you may want to consider with these systems is the placement of the computer which will be dependent on your individual fit. Not as big of a deal if you are getting everything off of a watch, etc.

PD just came out with a new bottle last month that you might check out: http://profile-design.com/...fc-hydration-system/ It looks like multiple bottle sizes are available and the straw goes all the way to the bottom of the system.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am leaning more to the bta style. They look better and as you have stated, it is right there! This is year 2 of racing for me. I did last year with my standard road frame and a couple of bottles on the frame mounted cages. This year, my gift to myself was a new TT bike, and a step up from sprints to Olympics. Although the first race coming up, I am repeating my first race: texas sprint - 800/24.8/5k - wanted to see what a year can do. But hydration is the focus here and it seems that my thoughts were somewhat in the right place. Now, if only Amazon did next hour delivery.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [ibetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't like the velcro straps either. The entire system moves around too much unless you have the straps super tight. I bought this http://www.trisports.com/...o-bta-mount-100.html and it is awesome. It's the Zipp Vuka BTA combined with a mount made by TriSports. The bottle does not move and it's locked onto the aerobars. The computer mount sits perfectly between the aerobars. With the torpedo, it looks like this

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 21, 15 21:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with the XLAB Torpedo and either use the mount they provide or go with the Zipp Vuka BTA/TriSports hybrid. Another great option would be the TorHans Aero Z.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I don't like the velcro straps either. The entire system moves around too much unless you have the straps super tight. I bought this http://www.trisports.com/...o-bta-mount-100.html and it is awesome. It's the Zipp Vuka BTA combined with a mount made by TriSports. The bottle does not move and it's locked onto the aerobars. The computer mount sits perfectly between the aerobars. With the torpedo, it looks like this
I do like this, but wow is that a pretty penny! Does anyone know if the computer mount is specific to garmins? I am running a cateye stealth that I really like. I also have a 310xt that I have not yet used on the bike, but certainly on the run...

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Zipp Vuka BTA, the Garmin mount only works with Garmin Edge computers.

The XLAB computer mount comes with a Garmin mount but you can use ANY computer on their mount

Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 21, 15 21:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is the TorHans Aero Z

Profile Design HC:

Each system has it's pros and cons. They are all fantastic choices and will make staying hydrated while racing and training much easier.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the new PD system would work with this mount, or if the mount included would just be more stable than the X-Lab?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From TriSports website:
Once the Zipp BTA Mount is attached to our modification bracket, you can use it with the XLAB Torpedo Bottle, Profile Design Aero HC or the Speedfil A2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should really try the Speedfil A2 and Z4+.
Works really well if you want to change your bottle up as the head is interchangeable.
Also the Z4 has the garmin right on the top of the bike so you won't have to much movement of your head.
Well worth a look.

http://store.invisciddesign.com/spa2z4aebu.html

http://www.trisports.com/...il-a2-a4-bundle.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the PHD at Melbourne IM and didn't like it because it doesn't hold a normal bottle. However, I think I'm coming around to the idea of it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried out the PD HC, worked kinda well but I'm just not a fan of having the weight that high and forward.
For that reason I bought the torhans aero30 haven't tried it out though. Seems more aero and the weight sits closer to the frame and lower. Read about they splash all over the place (what the PD did not) but I'll find out as soon as start riding the rig hopefully soon.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EJ_S wrote:
okay - I have a question on which style of front hydration works best or is there a reason to choose one over another?

I don't have one of the latest systems (we still have a few of these for our front hydration). But, based on the mounts, the shapes, and the sophistication of the design, I am thinking of upgrading our bikes to the torhans aeroZ this season. Their BTA system looks fast and also looks like some very serious thought went into its design. The tail of it even looks (a bit) like the tail of a Boeing 777. The other BTA systems look primitive to me, not hugely better than a traditional water bottle and cage.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Aero 30 frustrates the heck out of me. 50+ mile ride yesterday and my bike is covered in sticky liquid (Go Far). I've seen some posts about putting a type of sponge in it to stop it, but haven't been able to get anyone to post a pic.

I keep using it because as you said it sits lower and is supposedly very aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the PD AeroDrink, Nathan AP, Pro, PD Aero HC, and now I'm using the Torhans AeroZ. I hated the PD AeroDrink, splashed liquid everywhere and didn't look sexy at all (yes that sort of matters :) ) The Nathan AP Pro was great but the mount was very rickety. The Aero HC was good and I even made a neoprene insulator sleeve for it. I mainly didn't like it because it always had that plastic taste and the bike computer mount placement was terrible. I started using the AeroZ a few weeks ago and love it. Doesn't splash, the bite valve works great and with the magnet pad and magnets at the back of the bottle you can move the straw to a few positions. I always wanted to try the Speedfill A2/Z4 combo but never pulled the trigger on it so I can't attest to how good/bad it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [skullyrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That tri sport mount is awesome. Just ordered it for my Zipp mount!! Thanks for posting that.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya, had little drops from the regular bta bottle I used which kept the calipers of the brakes stick. Since then I only use water up front.
My 30 came with 2 different rubber covers, one slotted the other closed, don't expect splashes with the closed one.

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Mar 23, 15 2:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the thing I really don't like about the profile design systems are the rigid straws
If you hit a tiny bump in the road it will knock your teeth out!
I ended up fitting a camelpak mouth piece to mine

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gorilla cage zip tied to your bars or bolted to a tri rig stem or superbike aerobar is best.

straws are not aero =)
Torhans makes one with an aero straw, that would be my 2nd choice.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went to the LBS today after a CL sale went through (cash in my pocket = cycling accessories!)

They carry Tor Hans stuff and there it was right on the shelf, in fact 2 of the Aero Z's...... and this being Texas, they were both black.

I asked that they order in a clear one and they are expecting it by Friday. But this leads into my nex question on this product: does anyone know why they made them in black? aside form the rather nice, clean look of the black, black items tend to get a little hot in the sun - and I do like ice cold beverages to help regulate body temp.

Also, wouldn't one want to see what liquid content is left (via a clear bottle) and to gauge the level of fluids consumed. I know most of this is worked out with the months of training we all do, but nerves get to everyone and being able to look down and say, I have had X amount, I need to consume Y more by mile 18 or else..... or worse, I only brought this plus the refill and I am sucking it down today - I need to slow down.....

Or am I just being too sensitive to the topic?

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply

Prev Next