Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 9)
Quote | Reply
oooh daylight savings. Anyone else tired today!?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 9) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goals for this week: day off from running yes!, at least 10k of swimming with at least one 4k workout nope and nope , at least 50 mi of biking nope. Start using my healthy coping skills instead of bingeing yes for the most part.

I swam 6x for a total of 8800 yards, ran 6 times for a total of 51.1 miles, and biked once (8 miles). I took yesterday completely off.

goals this week = swim 6x, bike 3x, keep running under 50 miles, day off from running. And get a lot of schoolwork done.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too bad on the tiredness today. Love the idea it will be light for a while after work. Love that.
Last week was decent. I missed one run due to going on a bike ride with the husband (day after long run). So, 5 runs, 3 bikes, 1 swim. I have been doing my long runs with a friend who is also training for a marathon and we have a VERY similar goal. So she apparently decided to 'push it' on our long run and didn't tell me (good thing!). I cruised along with her... not really realizing just how speedy we were going... and then my garmin crapped out on me so I was totally relying on her... and I did fine except for a 20 sec fade in the last 1/2mi. Maybe due to the fact that I forgot to bring my 1 gel (it was a shorter long run this week).
But, all in all, have been very happy with the pace of my long runs.
But the bike ride with the husband was awful, and he seemingly couldn't understand why I was so slow - keep in mind I had knobby tires when he didn't and I haven't been biking much.

Hoping this week to not get sick... it kind of feels like I might be 'fighting' something. So I will have some extra rest this week. Don't count on any biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm tired, but mostly from a busy weekend. The time change hasn't really affected my son at all (thank goodness).

I'm kicking myself for not taking running shoes to Calgary this weekend. Why did I not know they had no snow!! And the weather was so nice. Oh well - at least the melt is on at home, although we're still a good week away from the ice/floods being gone.

Today is puppy day!! Pics when I get some (and when I figure out how to post them...).
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 9) [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
upload pics w/ http://www.tinypic.com

enjoy the puppy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay! Puppy day! Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Time change hasn't been too bad but I was already pretty tired going into the weekend as I hosted a girls' night at my place Friday night and so didn't get to sleep until after 1am. This was after a Thursday night where I was alone in the house for the first time since we moved in (2 years) and dreamt someone was strangling me. I didn't sleep much after that.

Of my desired 6 runs, 4 bikes and 3 swims, I did 5 runs (3 outside), 4 bikes and 2 swims. The swim mileage was pretty pathetic though as I am trying to get used to a nose clip in the hopes that it will stop or minimise the sinus issues I get from the local pool. I'm really pleased I got all my bikes done because The combination of base three (TR) and 11% increase in FTP has made them harder than I'm currently used to.

The coming week is a bit different because we are away Tuesday-Friday, ostensibly to ski but Im not convinced that snow conditions will be great. On Saturday we have swim lessons and then are trying out the group training sessions our swim coach also runs which involve a 90 minute run-focussed boot camp of sorts followed by a similar spin one. Or it might be the other way around - I can't remember. The goal for that is to enjoy myself and have fun training with other people. Apart from Saturday's shenanigans, I would like to swim x4 (2 in the tiny hotel pool, one proper swim already done), run x 4, bike x 3.

Wow, I'm chatty today. I'll shut up now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F*&k daylight savings. (from someone who has to acclimate a toddler and a dog) I hate it, always have.

Starting week two of the Sufferfest Novice triathlon plan. Last week was basically setting FTP and LTHR plus some light workouts. I didn't do the CSS test because I go to masters on swim day. Coach C likes to have us finish out workout with sprints, so lovely!

Anyways, FTP is looking good (virtual power on trainerroad, so a completely abstract number), LTHR hasn't changed although pace was a bit low. Looking forward to racing in about 10 weeks!

Anybody else doing Monte Rio?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike x 4
Walks to/from office x 8
PT exercises x probably not enough

Because it was actually light out and warm, I SWAM TODAY. I don't think you could call what I was doing swimming, because it was just highly uncoordinated flailing with a pull buoy (not allowed to kick,) but once I build the right muscles up again to control it, it should resolve itself back into somethjng recognizable. I will keep doing this.

I haven't been in the pool in over a year. Don't be like me.

I also put my pedals back on my bike (w/ permission from doctor,) and I never want to not ride clipless ever again. Soooo smooth. So nice. Now, if I could only leave the garage.

Goals this week:
Swim x 3
Bike x 4
Walk x 8
PT x 7
Last edited by: katcycles: Mar 9, 15 19:38
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 9) [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay swimming! Not sure of your swim background, but some ideas -
If you get bored / super good with the buoy, try exchanging it for a band. Super good workout for your lats and for working on body position. Also, you can pull with paddles... so there are some ways to keep yourself entertained. You can also do most drills with a buoy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, thanks for the advice. I'm glad I waited this long and didn't rush back to the pool, given the walking on the deck, trying to get OUT, etc that happens, but damn, I am out of shape.

I think by the time I get "super good" with the buoy I'll be able to kick!
Or I'll die from old age. Either one is a possibility.

I have very little swim background, but managed to get halfway okay a few years ago when I tried really hard. So, this is just the process of completely starting over from scratch. I need to build some strength to hold my body in the right place (weak all over right now from periods of forced inactivity,) and then it'll start to come back into something controllable. I have good body awareness, but very little actual swim training.

I do have a band and paddles, though, so when I feel ready I will pull them out.

I also have to open-turn on one foot that's the opposite foot that I was allowed to push off with the last time I swam. How's that for a mind bender!?
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 9) [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you flip turn and push off on one foot?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 5: WIN with 6
- swim x 3: WIN
- bike x 2: WIN
- core/strength x 4: WIN

Managed over 60k of running last week, plus a hike on Sunday.

This week's goals:
- run x 6
- swim x 3
- bike x 2
- core/strength x 4

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
addendum!
I had a good yearly review at work! yay!

I would like to decide something though. I was asked about compensation. It turned out to be a good discussion. I threw out there that I thought with my current load of clients that I could probably handle the same load in a 4 day work week. They're open to it.
In order to get a raise we would need to figure out how to increase my workload.
I admitted I was torn since I'd love to get a raise, but the appeal of a 4 day week is pretty high too (plus one less day of a 1 hr commute each way).
I work for a small company. They said they'd even be willing to do the 4 day work week on a trial basis, to see if it would indeed work out.
I'd like a raise because then I could pay down on the car payment & mortgage (pretty much our only debt is car, house, husband has 1 student loan, and he's buying extra retirement years), and would love to put away more for said retirement.
But even at my current salary and his, we are living below our means.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 9) [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats!

too young to have advice about the raise vs time off though :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
can you flip turn and push off on one foot?

They don't want me hitting my foot on the side of the pool by accident, until the bone is fully healed. Open turns only for now. :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

24 hours and she's curled up on the couch. Definitely needs time to settle in, but so far so good.

I'd take less money & more time - especially since it sounds like finances are well in hand
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Mar 10, 15 19:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She looks huge! And oh so cute.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 9) [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tiny by my standards - maybe 30 lbs.

She's out cold - I hope that means she's relaxing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awww!

We got a kitten last year and he alternates between running around like crazy and "out cold." It's like he has an on/off switch :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my first post on a Slowtwitch forum!

Daylight savings time and the coming of spring around here have conspired to give me one heck of a headache all week. Still, taught two cycling classes, commuted by bike to work twice, got in a swimming workout (just working technique, right now) and some weightlifting. Head is feeling better today, so I'll venture out for an easy 3 mile run. I have my first marathon next weekend, so my volume is down. Still want to get in a 10-miler on Friday and 5 or 6 on Sunday.

Nice to meet all of you.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 9) [trihardist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome :) what marathon?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yuengling Marathon in Virginia Beach!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
really late to the party this week - I busted my butt all week because as of 5pm Friday, it's vacation time! I had tons to do at work plus a gazillion after work commitments, but this is how the week went down:
- ran 4x
- rode 3x
- SWAM once (yes I did! yay for me!)
- attended the spring flag football coaches meeting and learned to hold & throw a ball from a legendary CFL QB (Joe Paopao for those of you who know CFL at all)
- had a sinus and chest CT scan
- gave a presentation on lean management to a bunch of Blackbelts in training

Wait you say - WTF? You go from swimming to flag football to CT scan without a pause? Yeah I almost never swim so when I do it's rare. But it felt good, 2000m with lots of drills, and a bunch of fast 50s at the end. So I might do more...

... and a friend who's involved with the local football club, who knows I love football and that I was coaching kids at skating, asked if I'd help him coach a bunch of 8yo in flag football. Why the heck not I said! (hubby rolls eyes here)...

... and the CT scans, yes, as discussed in another thread a while ago, I have been coughing up phlegm pretty much every morning for a while now. So I finally got into a respirologist who (1) didn't dismiss me as insane/high functioning just because I do a whack of sports (2) immediately offered lots of ideas and avenues to explore and most importantly (3) said he was going to help make this better. I have to tell you what a relief that was - so many times I have been poo-pooed as over-exaggerating or "it's not really a problem considering all that you can do" - umm yeah, we know when something isn't right, and a non-smoker in early 40s with my background in endurance sports should not be coughing up hairballs every morning. So first thing was CT scans to make sure there wasn't something obvious/more nefarious. Just really happy to be starting the process.

This week: vacation! taking the kids & dog to a beachfront cabin in Ucluelet, so relax and enjoy! :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 9) [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flag football was one of my favorite things in gym class when I was little. I don't remember having a football, but I liked stealing people's flags!

Happy vacation, I'm jealous, I have 3 days until mine (spring break)

Quote Reply