Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo, the iphone app without the ANT dongle can't communicate with your power meter, but the Kickr can. Perhaps the Kickr is acting as a an Ant bridge to your bluetooth phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Krispy2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Krispy2014 wrote:
Donzo, the iphone app without the ANT dongle can't communicate with your power meter, but the Kickr can. Perhaps the Kickr is acting as a an Ant bridge to your bluetooth phone.

It's really your fault....LOL

If I didn't do the belt tensioning fix (which worked BTW).... then I would know for sure if the SRM was controlling the KICKR now.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this the Wahoo Fitness app, version 5.5.0? I don't see those options in my (iOs) app.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Krispy2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe it just instructs the kickr to read(via its own ant+) off the ant+ID of the powermeter which is being specified in the app and use those power values
instead of the flawed values of its own power measuring device.

Krispy2014 wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully more people will use the function today.... and we will learn more about it.

I will use it again tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Hopefully more people will use the function today.... and we will learn more about it.

I tried it briefly last night, but I already had the beta working so there was not really a change. It did mess up my active recovery session in TrainerRoad because I was messing with the app update right in the middle of an easy spin. I had to stop the TR workout and shut off all the Wahoo applications and restart the TR workout. However, it appears that Wahoo now has it built in and once applied the power meter is in control.

Since they released this yesterday I updated my blog this morning to remove the old beta screen shots and add the new screen shots of the app. I checked on Wahoo's website and blog and did not see any mention of the power meter control update or instructions. I assume that users will still need to do the firmware update first. I am still using v1.1.3.26.

I know it is against forum rules and I may be leaving out some details. Here is my update http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/...ower-meter-beta.html

I also look forward to more user dialog on this topic. For now the most important is that I feel like my training has been going in the right direction since power meter control. Before I know I was under training because of a false impression of data and that would have been a bummer later this summer to not have performed as well out on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

I tried it briefly last night, but I already had the beta working so there was not really a change. It did mess up my active recovery session in TrainerRoad because I was messing with the app update right in the middle of an easy spin. I had to stop the TR workout and shut off all the Wahoo applications and restart the TR workout. However, it appears that Wahoo now has it built in and once applied the power meter is in control.

Since they released this yesterday I updated my blog this morning to remove the old beta screen shots and add the new screen shots of the app. I checked on Wahoo's website and blog and did not see any mention of the power meter control update or instructions. I assume that users will still need to do the firmware update first. I am still using v1.1.3.26.

I know it is against forum rules and I may be leaving out some details. Here is my update http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/...ower-meter-beta.html

I also look forward to more user dialog on this topic. For now the most important is that I feel like my training has been going in the right direction since power meter control. Before I know I was under training because of a false impression of data and that would have been a bummer later this summer to not have performed as well out on the road.

Thanks for that link... it was very useful.

I noticed my "NEW" ICON next to the KICKR was red... so maybe mine wasn't picking it up. I will look again when I get home tonight.

If I read it right... I do not need an ANT+ dongle for the SRM to control the KICKR on the Iphone.

Does Wahoo Fitness even need to be open at all when running TR with the SRM controllong the KICKR?
Last edited by: Donzo98: Mar 10, 15 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

I noticed my "NEW" ICON next to the KICKR was red... so maybe mine wasn't picking it up. I will look again when I get home tonight.

If I read it right... I do not need an ANT+ dongle for the SRM to control the KICKR on the Iphone.

Does Wahoo Fitness even need to be open at all when running TR with the SRM controllong the KICKR?

You don't need an ANT+ dongle on the phone.
What you do need is the firmware update applied in the Wahoo Utility app. I am using .26. I would not try .27 just yet.
Set your sensor number in the Wahoo App and toggle the appropriate toggles on the same screen.
Go out close the programs, shut Bluetooth off on your phone setting, turn it back on, then go back into the Wahoo app.
Wake up the power meter if it went to sleep.
Start a new workout. The first screen should show the sensors and hopefully the power meter icon will be green.

I am reciting this out of memory so please don't hold it against me if I missed something.
Once it is connected you do not need the Wahoo application. I keep it completely shut off and only start up TrainerRoad. I also stopped doing spindowns.
Now I must admit that what I see on the screen of the Edge and the TR laptop display does not complete sync up, but the totals at the end are almost identical. TR seems to smooth out the variability of the Quarq data as recorded on the Edge. The variability of the Quarq seems to spike to the high side so if anything my workouts are now harder than previous, but I would rather lean that way in my training than to not train hard enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not seeing it on my iOS either.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yatyas wrote:
i'm not seeing it on my iOS either.

Open the App... Click sensors... click KICKR... should be there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Mine isn't there. And my app is up-to-date. Trainer software is v1.2.2 (latest)

**update**
I just updated to the firmware to the unofficial one v1.3.26 After that update i can now see those options. Weird
Last edited by: yatyas: Mar 10, 15 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yatyas wrote:
Nope. Mine isn't there. And my app is up-to-date. Trainer software is v1.2.2 (latest)

**update**
I just updated to the firmware to the unofficial one v1.3.26 After that update i can now see those options. Weird

Interesting... I was already running 1.3.26... maybe that's why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a SRM. Current beta Wahoo software. Current app. Did the correct setup/selections in Wahoo Fitness app. Got the green connection icon in New Workout. Started workout.
Clearly it is not working. The wahoo is NOT being controlled by my SRM. I know this bc the wahoo app watts are no where near my Garmin SRM watts.
One more failure. Back to PerfPro.

"UPDATE" - Tried this with TR and it does NOT work. TR/Wahoo watts are no where near Garmin/SRM watts.
Last edited by: ccassidy: Mar 10, 15 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
I have a SRM. Current beta Wahoo software. Current app. Did the correct setup/selections in Wahoo Fitness app. Got the green connection icon in New Workout. Started workout.
Clearly it is not working. The wahoo is NOT being controlled by my SRM. I know this bc the wahoo app watts are no where near my Garmin SRM watts.

"UPDATE" - Tried this with TR and it does NOT work. TR/Wahoo watts are no where near Garmin/SRM watts.

OH BOY... not good news.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I'll be sticking with PerfPro for the time being.

I did another trainer ride today(3x15') and it was spot on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yatyas wrote:
Agree. I'll be sticking with PerfPro for the time being.

I did another trainer ride today(3x15') and it was spot on.

So... I got home after work and tried to get the app to work...

Got the green light to go on using the app indicating the SRM was found and controlling the KICKR.

Here is today's ride.... I think it looks pretty good.

Last edited by: Donzo98: Mar 10, 15 17:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thought...

It would be nice if somewhere within TR... it would tell us for sure that the SRM is controlling the KICKR. I don't know if that's possible.

After the belt re-tensioning fix... I honestly don't know 100% if the SRM is controlling the KICKR or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:

TR and the Beta Wahooligans app are running quite in sync for me. Using a Quarq.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how do you update the firmware? I am still running v1.2.2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:

My Garmin was reading off as well. Turned out that if I turned off the auto zero and did a manual calibration it matched perfectly. The problem wasn't with my KICKR it was with the Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Triguy2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First page, first post.

All this originally came from here: http://forums.transitions.org.au/...pic=64546&page=6

You need to do the "secret swipe" in the Wahoo Utility app. Watch the video here:

https://www.dropbox....lation.mov?dl=0

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to FeltRider and a couple of other sources, I finally got my setup working! Very glad to eliminate the 40 watt mis-match between my Power2Max power meter and my KICKR.

FYI, here are the general steps. This is mostly outlined in the cycling addiction blog post, but a couple of details were missing.
  • The Wahoo Fitness iOS v5.5.0 app was released on March 9, but the KICKR public firmware is not out yet. Both are needed to enable this feature. However, you can load the beta firmware now and get it working while we wait for the public firmware release. These are the general steps I followed.
  • Use iOS Wahoo Utility, select KICKR
  • Use the "secret swipe" to display the beta firmware (quickly swipe from lightening bolt icon to happy face icon, quickly lift finger, then quickly swipe from happy face icon to lightening bolt icon. Swipe instruction video: http://ppst.co/1huMRbL )
  • Select and load firmware version 1.3.26
  • After firmware update completes, Unplug and replug power to the KICKR

• Next go to the Wahoo Fitness App
  • Select sensors, KICKR
  • Enable "Control with ANT+ Power Meter" option
  • Enter the ANT+ id of your power meter (4- or 5-digit number printed on the power meter, or get it via PC/Mac using ANT+ dongle and the Trainer Road "Devices" screen.)

KICKR will now read the ANT+ Power Meter and use it to measure power output (instead of the frequently flawed internal resistance calculation that can be 20-40 watts off on some KICKRs.) Hope this helps everyone with KICKRs that inaccurately calculate power (like mine. . .)
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Carlton Bale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for your helpful post. I can't seem to make the secret swipe work. It will not bring up the various versions of firmware.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Triguy2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nevermind finally got it to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any more info from people who are using the new feature??
Quote Reply

Prev Next