Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 4 years of leg soreness [biker2035] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biker2035 wrote:
I have cycled all my life, but 8 years ago that was ramped up and continues to grow even more now. I am 44. I am considerably faster now than 4 years ago. After I started riding a lot more than normal is when I notice that my legs were always sore. Didn't matter if it was an easy or hard ride, they were always aching. Yes, a month off of cycling, no basketball, no lifting, basically nothing more than daily walking around for my legs, and there was no difference at the beginning of the month to the end. I can perform at a very high level for a single day event, but back to back moderate rides become very difficult. I have no other symptoms of overtraining. This only affects my quads, it never goes away. I sleep great, I eat well, I am in great shape overall.

Well, perhaps constant leg soreness is just your burden to bear for being a faster cyclist. OTOH, it could be that you are overtraining and the full effects just have not fully caught up with you yet, but you'd think after 4 years they would have. You should post an update for us every year or so, or whenever there is some sig change:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: 4 years of leg soreness [biker2035] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biker2035 wrote:
For the past 4 years, going on 5 now, I have had constant leg/muscle soreness. This is all in my quads, both legs, the entire muscle belly. No joint pain, no obvious inflammation, no swelling. When riding even at low intensity levels they are screaming at me, and worse when working at high levels. When I am done my workout they go right back to my baseline level of about 5/10. No numbness, no tingling, no point tenderness, but the entire muscle.

I am a Physical Therapist. I have done extensive stretching, massage, foam rollers, heat, tens/muscle stim unit, prolonged advil, protein drinks, high sugar drinks, and changing my diet. I have taken a week off, no change, a month off no change. Blood work shows nothing wrong.

The end result of a hard workout, or easy workout is the same. They always are sore. 4 advil will reduce the soreness, but does not eliminate it. My performance has not dropped, I am getting stronger/better. No body fatigue, no illness. I feel great on the bike except my legs. I have changed my bike position over the past couple of years, and have absolutely no pain or discomfort when riding other than my quads. Changing my position has had no effect on my legs.

I am at a loss of what to try next. A lot of very experienced people out there. Hoping someone has some suggestions on what I can try.

I had the same exact thing many years ago. It lasted for 18 months or so. Tried all manner of things to resolve it like you and also like you doctors found nothing wrong with me. I was at my wits end until I was looking for answers and found out about TMS/PPD, I did my investigation about it and ultimately followed a treatment plan for it. Some would say (and actually did say) that it was a miracle. It resolved within a few weeks without any medical interventions.

I noticed you said you were skeptical about meditation so I don't know how open you are about a new approach to healing pain. Frankly, you have to be open to new ideas for this to work. I mean skepticism is ok, but close mindedness or resistance such as anger will obviously not help. You being a PT might make it harder to grasp this because it goes against how you've been thought to believe about pain, that there's a physical cause. But if you're willing to read up on the latest research and science about it, I think it might help you like it did me. Maybe start with a "What is TMS/PPD?" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lzyy75f-XQ

Quote Reply

Prev Next