Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has this been sent to Reddit yet? Those people will find him, go after him, his family, distant family, dig up ancestor graves, etc. granted when they get it wrong it's on a biblical scale (Boston bomber).

Quote | Reply
Does look like he's covering his chest at the beginning, but not at 27 seconds ---- video isnt good enough on Youtube to make it out ----- perhaps the original file?

I posted it over to VW vortex a VW forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/...7273427#post87273427

Also, if he was covering his shirt that might suggest its a work shirt that identifies him in some way ---- any bike shops, car dealerships have a black shirt with light gray piping on the back as a uniform? Looks like a synthetic exercise shirt to me.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Last edited by: jeremyb: Mar 2, 15 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We can tear a lamb to shreds but can't ID a brazen P5 thief in plain day.

I was thinkin' - He might have just targeted residential lane ways in close proximity to houses, just because you need to be within X meters to amp the fob signal and get a good boost.

About the roof racks: Surfing, skis, snowboards. Leaving them on the car means he's using them every week or so.

Schedule: Why way this dude in this location in late afternoon. What put this guy there - commute from A to B?

I am not sure the locations match-up with anyone in the Burlingame area, unless they spent the day surfing for example.

I would stop in and show the photos at the nearby Starbucks (princess and burlingame) with 50 bills in your hand.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
About the roof racks: Surfing, skis, snowboards. Leaving them on the car means he's using them every week or so.

That, or he's part of the VW subculture that apparently puts racks on their cars just for the "look". Seriously, that's a thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why the local cops just don't take the video into this Audi lot and show all the employees the video and ask if they recognize this thief.
Or if I was Sarah I would go in and do a recon mission and check out the staff myself. Also send friends in to sneak a peak.

Plaster his photo all over gas stations, Starbucks, bike shops and offer a reward. With this video someone has to recognize him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine the cops really give a shit. To them she's someone who makes a living riding a bike, leaves her bike in the car, bike is stolen, she's already been given another bike by her sponsor - so what's the point.

Not that I agree but I'm sure they couldn't care less.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [martind28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the previously posted news story.

Sausalito police Sgt. Bill Frass said....."If there's value, do not leave it in your car, take it with you," Frass said.
Piampiano is grateful her sponsor can provide a new bike, but she knows not everyone is as lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad that Sarah received a new bike but to me that is not the point. This slime-ball is still roaming the streets with his little device to unlock cars and rob people.
Is that how the police keep people safe? By telling them to not leave valuables in their car?

I leave valuables in my car all the time, including my (much cheaper of course) bike. After a ride I might go into a store or restaurant. Everyone does it. To make the victim feel like they did something wrong is just, well, wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannot believe this dude has not been caught yet.

If he walked into a bank and stole 15k in cash and all they had was a video... they would have nabbed him already. The quality of this video is even better than what I see in typical bank robbery footage. I really don't understand what the detectives are doing if they don't go to every, 09-11 black VW golf TDI owner within a 200 mile radius and question them all about the suspect.
Last edited by: BorrachoMatador: Mar 2, 15 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's only the slimmest of chance that the dealership had anything to do with it. The satellite image is too low res to make out the car other than color and roof rack. Possible of course but really how many other such cars are there in SF that we don't know about? We found one of them!

Sure the crook was familiar with the car but professional thieves usually are. They know all the tricks because it isn't their first time doing it. They could have bought a VW remote online. There are all sorts of legally gray-area items that can be bought direct from China. Not just keyfobs but also 2W lasers that can burn through things, GPS spoofers, cell phone jammers, radar jammers, all available with free shipping from China, and all cheap. A high end car thief would be stupid NOT to get a remote in this day and age. Why break glass when they can unlock a car from afar, walk right up and open the door. To a passer by that'd look like the owner getting into the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sausalito is a bike heavy town (although a fair amount of riders are tourists on rentals). There isn't much else going on here so it should be something the police take seriously or at least make a priority. Especially with the video quality.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [cstoulil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cstoulil wrote:

I'm not familiar with Audi's but I have reprogrammed many factory unlock features on my Chevy's over the years, and programmed my after market alarm system's to do certain things like roll up windows etc. so I don't think its too far out of line to think people re-program things to be set up how they want them. Again not an Audi owner so I don't know how hard it is with them, but other brands it doesn't take long, you just have to read the manual or look online and follow a certain order of button pushes with a key in the ignition to do so. But then again I am a car guy and that crazy.

Only way to reprogram stuff like that on a VW/Audi is the dealer tool or VCDS, former VW and Audi certified tech and I talk to a buddy that works for Ross-tech (makes vcds) all day long.

Just asked, said he is not aware of a way to code out the auto relock if you don't open the door in X time on the Q5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyb wrote:
I posted it over to VW vortex a VW forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/...7273427#post87273427

IV is 4

this is a 6 VI.. and I posted there last week no one seems to care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

no it is a "scene" thing and considered attractive to have a rack on the car even if never used at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:

IV is 4

this is a 6 VI.. and I posted there last week no one seems to care.

if this guy is a regular in that scene, they won't care at all and aren't going to tell you squat.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea

Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BorrachoMatador wrote:

if this guy is a regular in that scene, they won't care at all and aren't going to tell you squat.

I disagree, especially something like this. Their hunts for people (over in the car lounge section) fall closer to 4chan and make a twitchhunt look like figuring out who pooped in the corner at a nursery school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No that is 1 of the ways they try to help people not be victims. There cant be a cop at everyones house to to watch over them 24/7. At some point you, yes you, need to take responsibility for your own actions. I know its terrible, but I also imagine you would b*tch and moan if there actually was a cop just watching over you all the time. I feel bad for anyone who gets stuff stolen and would love to live in a society where i can leave my house, car etc... unlocked and open, but we don't. Common sense should tell you not to leave something valuable inside your car as it may get stolen. Hell your whole car may get stolen. This is the case no matter where you live. Rich neighborhood or poor, "people" (notice the quotes) will steal anything. As for the work the detective / pd has done, I would be willing to bet it is more than most cases get. I imagine like every other PD around they are doing what they can with very little resources. THe detective probably has several other open cases with leads he / she needs to work on, and just becuase Sarah is somewhat famous does not mean she jumps to the front of the line. If your stuff was stolen, your house was broken into etc, would you feel it was fair that the detective put you on the back burner so he / she could work on this simply because the other person is more famous than you? It sounds like they are doing what they can. It's great that this forum is trying to help get her bike back but just because some of you have the time to twitch hunt does not mean the police do. I wish her the best of luck in getting the stuff back and I hope the guy gets what he deserves but glass half empty here, it is highly unlikely.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Spiampiano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiampiano wrote:
Hey Thomas - thanks...And yeh - My specific street is a one way, so there is no possibility he went the other direction. And with the placement of the camera, there isn't really a way to capture the rear plate. That is why I'm trying to find other cameras that may have been positioned differently. Thank you again!

There must be other cameras somewhere in your surrounding area, either street cams, business security cams, residential cameras, etc.

Think about not only where he was likely going when he left, but what was the likely path he took to get to your condo in the first place.

----------------------------------------------------------------
my strava
Last edited by: lschmidt: Mar 3, 15 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
Spiampiano wrote:
Hey Thomas - thanks...And yeh - My specific street is a one way, so there is no possibility he went the other direction. And with the placement of the camera, there isn't really a way to capture the rear plate. That is why I'm trying to find other cameras that may have been positioned differently. Thank you again!

There must be other cameras somewhere in your surrounding area, either street cams, business security cams, residential cameras, etc.

Think about not only where he was likely going when he left, but what was the likely path he took to get to your condo in the first place.

So it looks like you have to register your security cam with the sausalito PD ---- so they DO have a list of who has cams set up. Can you get that list?

http://www.ci.sausalito.ca.us/...spx?documentid=15425

http://ci.sausalito.ca.us/index.aspx?page=2088

Last edited by: jeremyb: Mar 3, 15 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There might not be a rear plate on the car, and the reason for the "paperwork" on the dash.

The guy's shoes are weird they look like some sort of martial arts training shoe - thin flat sole. Pretty sure he's wearing an Under-Armour shirt as well.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey All!

Quick update from my end and a few advancements here!

1. I spoke with the detective today assigned to my case and he is arranging to have my car taken in to Audi where they are going to pull the memory from my car during the 15-20 minute period around the theft. They think the thief may have used some sort of specific app, and if he did, they can trace that back t his cell hone, get his number and then identify who he is. FINGERS CROSSED!

2. One of the things stolen from my bag was something called an "intelliskin". I had just received it from the company founder when I was down in LA. I've thought that because of the new/press that perhaps my bike and/or components wouldn't be listed yet, but the intelliskin is expensive and is an pretty random thing. I checked on ebay and found someone in Oakland selling a "women's small, brand new, in package, without tags". When I checked, the ebay seller also had a ton of random other things for sale....like sunglasses, and a go pro, etc etc...I sent this off to the police to look into....if they can indentify who the seller is and cross check that with the DMV, it may be the person

3. I got a call today from VW/Audi and they have hired their own private investigator on the case! I think they are getting so much bad PR for this, they are wanting to get this sorted...so I am meeting with him later this week!

4. The police still haven't received the records/videos from the golden gate bridge authority, so we haven't been able to check that potential lead yet.

That is all from my end..Thanks again for all the support.. Stay tuned

Sarah-
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Spiampiano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, great to hear some excellent news.
And clever move on the ebay search. You've probably thought of it, but of course look for anything else for sale on ebay that is distinctive and/or unusual that was stolen from your bag/car.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiampiano wrote:
hey All!

Quick update from my end and a few advancements here!

1. I spoke with the detective today assigned to my case and he is arranging to have my car taken in to Audi where they are going to pull the memory from my car during the 15-20 minute period around the theft. They think the thief may have used some sort of specific app, and if he did, they can trace that back t his cell hone, get his number and then identify who he is. FINGERS CROSSED!

2. One of the things stolen from my bag was something called an "intelliskin". I had just received it from the company founder when I was down in LA. I've thought that because of the new/press that perhaps my bike and/or components wouldn't be listed yet, but the intelliskin is expensive and is an pretty random thing. I checked on ebay and found someone in Oakland selling a "women's small, brand new, in package, without tags". When I checked, the ebay seller also had a ton of random other things for sale....like sunglasses, and a go pro, etc etc...I sent this off to the police to look into....if they can indentify who the seller is and cross check that with the DMV, it may be the person

3. I got a call today from VW/Audi and they have hired their own private investigator on the case! I think they are getting so much bad PR for this, they are wanting to get this sorted...so I am meeting with him later this week!

4. The police still haven't received the records/videos from the golden gate bridge authority, so we haven't been able to check that potential lead yet.

That is all from my end..Thanks again for all the support.. Stay tuned

Sarah-

So fishy it almost has to be your guy. They have a ton of radar detectors that have been sold used as well. I wouldn't bother with the police and dealing with eBay. Someone needs to buy and item, and then immediately "request personal information". There is a chance the info could be fake but probably not.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now this is more like it! This sounds promising. At least they are doing something. It seems like they are invested in getting to the bottom of this now!
Quote Reply

Prev Next