Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$1.1 million payday
Quote | Reply
A 9 year old is competing in a barrel racing final today. She is the fastest qualifier(13.9 seconds). If she wins, she will take home $1.1 million. That is quite an hourly rate.

How on earth could there be more money in barrel racing than triathlon?

Real People. Real Coaching. Real Results. http://www.ts2coaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: $1.1 million payday [IndyRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barrel racing (and other rodeo sports) are fun to watch, very popular in the rural segment of the population, there are TV deals, there are probably big sponsors, and it helps attract paying customers to the fair. I'm not even an fan, but I know in my life I've watched far more rodeo competitions than triathlons on TV, because they're pretty fun to watch.

Triathlon is quite niche, not very exciting to watch, and very few people (zero?) that aren't family/friends of the competitors will pay to watch one.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Mar 1, 15 9:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They can sell products to people outside of just the participants. They sell trucks and farm supplies and all sorts of other things through the rodeo, same with NASCAR and other popular events.

What can a triathlon sell to the general public? Only people in the sport care about bikes and wheels. It doesn't fit the gopro or red bull market very well. What is a sponsor buying in a triathlon and how will they get a return on investment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so maybe the question is... how do we make triathlon more like a rodeo to increase spectatorship... ?
Quote Reply
Re: $1.1 million payday [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim: Kayakers who have lasso's, if you get roped you have to tug boat them the rest of the swim

Bike: closed course but bulls chase you down, bikes relegated to 1x11 setup

run: beer 10k, 1 beer for every kilometer, not finishing requires penalty box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We raised cows and roping horses when I was growing up in east Texas. Ropers spend a lot of money, but it pales in comparison to what daddies will spend on their little girls who ride barrels. Without looking, I'd bet her saddle and tack cost more than a lot of the bikes we drool over here. That horse of hers could be a few thousand; it could be in the six-figures. I'll go out on a limb and say at least one parent is driving a $50,000 truck pulling an equally extravagant trailer. There's either land or stable fees in there, too. Probably wearing a cowboy hat that cost a couple hundred and some boots that weren't cheap either. The last time my wife bought some western jeans, they were about $100 bucks. Seems like every girl in my hometown has a pair, too. Lots of money in that 13.9 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: $1.1 million payday [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol the horse a few thousand? If she is running times like that I would bet everything that the horse is well over 40k. People spend much more on rodeo then we ever would in triathlon. that 15k bike we think is crazy expensive will only scratch the surface of what people spend a year in gas, lodging, entry fees and boarding for events for the year
Quote Reply
Re: $1.1 million payday [RN86314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol Thanks for reading the rest of the sentence before making a smartass response. I wrote that it could be a few thousand or it could be six-figures. There are some fast horses out there without the pedigrees that demand the big bucks. Otherwise you repeated my sentiment almost exactly.
Quote Reply