Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure he noticed he hadn't shut the door completely.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So as it turns out, the doors were unlocked as the guy drove by 1 minute prior to the posted video.

This is probably where he got the device: http://www.keyprogtools.com/
Last edited by: ajthomas: Feb 27, 15 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
So as it turns out, the doors were unlocked as the guy drove by 1 minute prior to the posted video.

If you don't open the door, I'd have to walk outside and double check the time, they relock automatically.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Don't want to get anyone's hopes up but I may have a lead....

Notice the roof rails above... and then look at the vehicle in the back lot of Rector Audi below. Right color, right size, distinct roof rails. Dealership is close by and it explains being able to access the vehicle and being familiar with the trunk close button. I'm pretty certain that's a roof rack in the pic below. I just spent 20mins looking at GoogleEarth... because I can't sleep... and those silver lines/bars aren't the outline of a sunroof. I'm pretty certain it's a roof rack.

Look at the freeze frame you used and look at the pic you posted. From that angle a Q5 and the Golf would appear virtually the same.

I do agree there is familiarity with the vehicle though, the button press was too quick and natural
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
415brian wrote:
Re car: i think fog light were only available on the TDI (2.0L diesel). Also, those look like the VW "Porto" wheels, available on the 2010 or 2011, but not a 2012. The TDI was available as an automatic or manual. When the driver reverses, it behaves more like an automatic to my eye. Lastly, the rack looks like the VW factory basebar option.

Summary: 2010 or 2011 VW Golf TDI automatic with factory rack.

Definitely mk6, I think you are right with the foglights being TDI only.

Rack is absolutely VW factory

I wouldn't count on the wheels pinning down a year especially if this is a VW employee, take offs/swaps would be readily available to someone. Not that the year matters.

In regards to the transmission, it would be a DSG if an auto so at those speeds basically behave like a manual in regards to roll back, delays that sort of thing in those conditions. Too hard to say there.

checking to see if this is on any of the VW forums and posting it up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
So I called my audi dealer (I have an sq5) and a service tech looked at the video and said the car was left unlocked. The factory default is that the lights turn on when you unlock the doors and that doesn't happen. You can set it for that not to happen, but she would have had to manually turned off that feature and that is not likely. Possible, but not likely.

Ah, good catch
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are other Q5s and Q7s on the lot. The largest SUVs are Q7s, the slightly smaller ones are Q5s, and then there are a few vehicles that are Golf/A3 sized including the vehicle I outlined. I'm quite certain the vehicle I outlined is a black Golf/A3 with a roof rack which makes it eerily similar to the vehicle pictured in the bike theft.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
There are other Q5s and Q7s on the lot. The largest SUVs are Q7s, the slightly smaller ones are Q5s, and then there are a few vehicles that are Golf/A3 sized including the vehicle I outlined. I'm quite certain the vehicle I outlined is a black Golf/A3 with a roof rack which makes it eerily similar to the vehicle pictured in the bike theft.

Again not saying it isn't.

But look at the still you took.. the cars are the same size from above, the Q5 is tiny.. I had to carry lumber in one of our company a4s one time because it wouldn't fit in the Q5. We don't have the Q5 any more but still have the A4, if our new trailer wasn't in the shop I'd pull my jetta wagon around to show the footprint is the same from the angle you are trying to show.

Point being for all you know that is Sarah's car at the dealer.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anton84 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
So I called my audi dealer (I have an sq5) and a service tech looked at the video and said the car was left unlocked. The factory default is that the lights turn on when you unlock the doors and that doesn't happen. You can set it for that not to happen, but she would have had to manually turned off that feature and that is not likely. Possible, but not likely.

That stuff is generally either dealer programmable or user programmable (on zee german cars it tends to be dealer only), but it's fairly common for dealers to go through those options with owners on delivery. Fair point though, equally possible that it was unlocked!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sarah is saying on YouTube that she thinks the person used some sort of signal booster or transmitter, implying that it was locked.

renorider wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

That stuff is generally either dealer programmable or user programmable (on zee german cars it tends to be dealer only), but it's fairly common for dealers to go through those options with owners on delivery. Fair point though, equally possible that it was unlocked!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone read The Circle? This exact thing happens tracking down a criminal --- but it only takes them 11 minutes.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Sarah is saying on YouTube that she thinks the person used some sort of signal booster or transmitter, implying that it was locked.

renorider wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

She also has to say that if she is trying to file a claim with her insurance company. If its unlocked, they will not pay the claim. The first time I watched the video, it appeared to me that front door was locked, but the rear was not.

It looks to me that he has something in his left hand when he is standing in the street looking around before he approaches here vehicle. Does anyone know is the lights of turn signals blink when the vehicle is unlocked with a remote? Also, is there a light that blinks inside the vehicle if its locked and alarm is on? It also looks like he was looking at something in the front seat\dash area before he went to the back door and opened it.

I also believe it is a manual transmission.
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Feb 27, 15 16:17
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 100% sure that the lights blink when you unlock the door but that is irrelevant because Sarah is saying the car was unlocked by the guy prior to the video.

Here is what I would do: it is a really big deal that someone has an audi key amplification device. That is extremely news worthy. If Sarah has the video showing him unlocking the car she can get the video on the news because every audi owner in the city will be like wtf? I am saying wtf and my car is 2200 miles away. The guy will get caught - quickly - if this makes it to the news.

Oh and if the guy gets caught I predict he is lebanese.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I am 100% sure that the lights blink when you unlock the door but that is irrelevant because Sarah is saying the car was unlocked by the guy prior to the video.

Here is what I would do: it is a really big deal that someone has an audi key amplification device. That is extremely news worthy. If Sarah has the video showing him unlocking the car she can get the video on the news because every audi owner in the city will be like wtf? I am saying wtf and my car is 2200 miles away. The guy will get caught - quickly - if this makes it to the news.

Oh and if the guy gets caught I predict he is lebanese.

Is there any reason to believe that there is not video going all the way back to when Sarah parked her car? IOW, the video exists. If there are any light blinking features associated with her car locks, then she could provide not only the video showing that her car was unlocked remotely...but also that she did indeed lock her car after she parked it.

Whether or not Sarah is willing to release that video...either to the public or to her insurance company...could be a different story.

ETA: Is this her personal security video, or a security system that belongs to someone else? Sorry...I didn't spend a lot of time looking into this whole story.
Last edited by: Jason N: Feb 27, 15 17:34
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
The first time I watched the video, it appeared to me that front door was locked, but the rear was not.

That isn't possible, you can unlock the driver only, all or pop the trunk.

If you do not open any door in 30-60 seconds they relock.

Edit: the only way that this would be possible in the Audi system that I can think of is if there was a driver and a rear passenger but no front passenger (if I'm recalling it right). This would essentially unlock the driver door upon turning the car off but not the front passenger if no occupancy was detected. The rear does not have occupancy sensors that I"m aware of so the rear would remain unlocked, that single door would be unlocked upon pulling the inside handle. BUT that then would mean that the doors were then not locked in order for that scenario to occur later on.

Quote:

Does anyone know is the lights of turn signals blink when the vehicle is unlocked with a remote?

They do via the button, I don't recall if they do or not if you approach them with the completely hands free key. You can program it to turn off the beep but I don't recall if you can program it to not blink the lights upon unlocking.

Quote:

Also, is there a light that blinks inside the vehicle if its locked and alarm is on?

Blanking on the q5s but there is an led where the old style lock pop up thing would be on door on the driverside or center dash.. too many audis/vws in my head to remember right now.

Quote:

It also looks like he was looking at something in the front seat\dash area before he went to the back door and opened it.

This may have been to trigger the keyless unlocking, he fiddles with the handle, I believe triggering the front passenger if the key is detected on that side unlocks the rears as well.

Quote:

I also believe it is a manual transmission.

The DSG is an automated dual clutch with actual gears like a manual and will go into a true neutral allow the car to rock and roll like a manual, imho impossible to tell in this video.
Last edited by: mrtopher1980: Feb 27, 15 19:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
JayZ wrote:

It would be very sad if you can't query something like:

SELECT Volkswagen, Black, Compact, WHERE Year BETWEEN 2009 AND 2011

...and then see the corresponding driver's license numbers, go over to the driver's license database, set a height, gender, age range, and the license number range (hash?)

I would be blown away if the police couldn't do something like that. You may not be able to specify "Golf, four door" but that's not a deal breaker by any means. If you really wanted to narrow that down you should be able to query the VINs with the manufacturer.

Forgive my shit SQL, it's been a very long time.

geez as soon as you guys get into upper management you forget everything..

select sri.first_name,sri.last_name,vrl.vehicle_plate,sri.sri_no as 'drivers_license_number'
from vehicle_registration_list vrl right outer join state_resident_id sri on (vrl.sri_no = sri.sri_no)
where vrl.vehicle_make = 'Volkswagen'
and vrl.vehicle_color like '%black%'
and vrl.vehicle_model like '%golf%'
and vrl.model_year between '2009' and '2011'
and sri.IS_A_DOUCHE_BAG = 'Y'

should be just 1 row most likely.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if the DB had no credit so it is financed under his moms name and registered to her as well for cheaper insurance it won't get you anything.

When I worked at VW in the early 2000s they sent out some stats on the average buyers of vehicles.

The average GTI buyer (~21k at the time) was about 55 years old and household income of well over 100k... as in the average buyer was someone buying it for their kid, that is the information the police would have on file from registration not necessarily the driver.

Can't hurt to look but it often won't tell you a thing
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SQL police here... You don't need an outer join as you really don't care about cars that are not registered to a person in the residents list. Regular/inner join is what you want. Also the model year column is more likely a number so no single quotes there.
:) no single quotes for column aliases either

BorrachoMatador wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
JayZ wrote:

It would be very sad if you can't query something like:

SELECT Volkswagen, Black, Compact, WHERE Year BETWEEN 2009 AND 2011

...and then see the corresponding driver's license numbers, go over to the driver's license database, set a height, gender, age range, and the license number range (hash?)

I would be blown away if the police couldn't do something like that. You may not be able to specify "Golf, four door" but that's not a deal breaker by any means. If you really wanted to narrow that down you should be able to query the VINs with the manufacturer.

Forgive my shit SQL, it's been a very long time.

geez as soon as you guys get into upper management you forget everything..

select sri.first_name,sri.last_name,vrl.vehicle_plate,sri.sri_no as 'drivers_license_number'
from vehicle_registration_list vrl right outer join state_resident_id sri on (vrl.sri_no = sri.sri_no)
where vrl.vehicle_make = 'Volkswagen'
and vrl.vehicle_color like '%black%'
and vrl.vehicle_model like '%golf%'
and vrl.model_year between '2009' and '2011'
and sri.IS_A_DOUCHE_BAG = 'Y'

should be just 1 row most likely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video is a bit of puzzle for me, more questions than answers of course.

- looks up at the condos first, so that is his first priority before moving in, so there is a bit of pre-mediated plan here.
-also looks comfortable in that area, so likely has been there before
- knows how to handle a bike in/out just by the way he moved with it
- fitness/technical top - but shoes? Has funky lower leg/feet
-why does he walk and cover his breast pocket area? - that is curious
- glasses look strange too
- papers on the car dash - defining item and why?

- The crime doesn't make sense to me. What do you do with a small size P5-6?? It may go beyond just a bike theft, but more of a theft of personal items, that would be my concern.

I would show a pix/ask at the local area Starbucks or gym see if they know this guy.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are all better detectives than me.

A few questions though, why is the video edited?

Is there an uncut version. It seems to pause here and there. When he walks around to the drivers side 10 seconds of video is cut out. When he opens the rear door and reaches his arm up front the video pauses and then resumes 6 seconds or so ahead of time. Also he puts it into his vehicle pretty fast. I guess it could be done to include closing rear and getting in in 45 seconds, but like others have said he has probably done this before, either because he is a biker, or just a thief.

I know when I put my bike in the back of an SUV it takes me longer than that.

You guys may be right about the re-lock time, but for reference when I had my Mercedes ML430 it was more like 2 minutes or so before it would re-lock.

I'm not familiar with Audi's but I have reprogrammed many factory unlock features on my Chevy's over the years, and programmed my after market alarm system's to do certain things like roll up windows etc. so I don't think its too far out of line to think people re-program things to be set up how they want them. Again not an Audi owner so I don't know how hard it is with them, but other brands it doesn't take long, you just have to read the manual or look online and follow a certain order of button pushes with a key in the ignition to do so. But then again I am a car guy and that crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [cstoulil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this guy unlocks the doors with some sort of device why does he try the back first, the other side back second, the front passenger, then the back passenger.

Maybe I'm off base here but isn't he looking for an open door?

And, as the previous poster stated, why is the video edited. Something is not right here.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [martind28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martind28 wrote:
If this guy unlocks the doors with some sort of device why does he try the back first, the other side back second, the front passenger, then the back passenger.

Maybe I'm off base here but isn't he looking for an open door?

And, as the previous poster stated, why is the video edited. Something is not right here.

As for video being edited. It could just be motion controlled video or could just be editing to remove downtime - people have short attention spans, they don't want to be bothered by anything but action.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True.

As others have stated, he looks like he's been there before.

As he walks up to the car he doesn't even really look in the car before he starts scoping the building. It's as if he knows what's in the car and he's just checking things out before he moves. It's weird that he doesn't go to the back, passenger door first. Why does he waste time checking the other doors?

And, when he drives back, it doesn't look like he's shutting the door, it's pretty clear the door is shut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be helpful to know the context for why her $10K P5 was in the back of her car in the afternoon. I am sure she doesn't leave it in there overnight - was she coming back from a race or a training ride? Living in a house, both my cars and bikes go in my garage, so I don't really have the issue with leaving my bike in my car on the street, but when I lived in a condo, the bike never stayed in the car on the street any longer than it had to. Was the bike there for a long time for some reason? Or was she inside about about to go get it? If the latter, did the thief know this and know he had limited time? I know I am not offering up much help here, but when I think of someone getting their bike stolen from inside their car, I would expect that person to be on the road or not in front of their own home, since I don't think most people leave their bike unattended in the back of their car while parked right in front of their condo.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply

Prev Next