Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
And in more weight loss news...
Quote | Reply
The FDA recently approved a device that is surgically implanted and controls signals to the stomach, decreasing hunger signals and making people feel full.

http://consumer.healthday.com/...-obesity-695504.html

Thoughts? Do people seriously have so little self control that they need a remote control implanted in them to tell them not to eat? Also, since many people overeat due to emotional reasons will they eventually link this to the brain to remove a dopamine response to food?
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [David B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David B wrote:
The FDA recently approved a device that is surgically implanted and controls signals to the stomach, decreasing hunger signals and making people feel full.

Thoughts? Do people seriously have so little self control that they need a remote control implanted in them to tell them not to eat? Also, since many people overeat due to emotional reasons will they eventually link this to the brain to remove a dopamine response to food?

The answer to the self-control question is clearly yes. I think drugs that affect appetite are probably going to be the solution to the obesity epidemic since that's far more practical and easier than changing our modern environment that has led to the obesity epidemic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
The FDA approved the device for use in people 18 and older who have a body-mass index (BMI) of 35 to 45 and at least one other obesity-related condition, such as type 2 diabetes.

Interesting that they would set an upper BMI limit to qualify. I wonder if there's an increased risk during the implant procedure for those over bmi 45

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to mention all these people getting gastric bypass or the sleeve. My Cousin got the sleeve. She has to follow a strict diet and is doing well with it. Make me wonder why you couldn't have followed the same thing before surgery???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Food intake doesn't make people fat.

BarryP told me so and if you disagree you're a heartless jerk and hater of science. He knows people that never at all and they morbidly obese.

It's america's fault because burn too many fossil fuels.

Why are these idiots wasting time trying limit food intake. That clearly doesn't work.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Quote:

The FDA approved the device for use in people 18 and older who have a body-mass index (BMI) of 35 to 45 and at least one other obesity-related condition, such as type 2 diabetes.

Interesting that they would set an upper BMI limit to qualify. I wonder if there's an increased risk during the implant procedure for those over bmi 45[/quote

If they are over BMI 45 they likely can't to anesthetic or even get them onto the table. For a 5'10" man that's 310 pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
decreasing hunger signals and making people feel full.

If I stopped eating when I was full I wouldn't be fat.

Also, since many people overeat due to emotional reasons will they eventually link this to the brain to remove a dopamine response to food?

Now that I could use. I don't generally eat because I'm hungary, in fact I typically don't get hungry and even if I get hungry it goes away pretty quickly. I eat when I'm tired, stressed, anxious, pissed, bored and those all over ride "I'm full". I also eat very fast.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David B wrote:
Do people seriously have so little self control that they need a remote control implanted in them to tell them not to eat?

Yes. I wish I could control my need to post/reply to the LR.
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
BarryP told me so and if you disagree you're a heartless jerk and hater of science. He knows people that never at all and they morbidly obese.

Are you 12? That's not even close to what I said.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have figured out how to lose weight. The past 36 hours I have been puking out both ends. I am down 8 lbs.

Best diet ever.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that the Tijuana Diet?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I have figured out how to lose weight. The past 36 hours I have been puking out both ends. I am down 8 lbs.

Best diet ever.

When I had my first daughter I forgot to eat for about two weeks and lost 12 pounds. This time around it was only 3.
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
decreasing hunger signals and making people feel full.

If I stopped eating when I was full I wouldn't be fat.

Also, since many people overeat due to emotional reasons will they eventually link this to the brain to remove a dopamine response to food?

Now that I could use. I don't generally eat because I'm hungary, in fact I typically don't get hungry and even if I get hungry it goes away pretty quickly. I eat when I'm tired, stressed, anxious, pissed, bored and those all over ride "I'm full". I also eat very fast.

~Matt

The problem with your 1st response is people eat faster than their body tells them they are full. So essentially they over eat before they get the feeling of being full.
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just reporting the news.

My sources say that was a direct quote.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Similar, yes.

I puked in the shower today. Thats a first for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Similar, yes.

Have you had to sit on the tub so you could puke in the toilet and shit in the tub?

We left a very big tip at that hotel.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only prescription drugs that do that will be allowed. Something like ephedra that is cheap and over the counter must be banned.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I have control over when the bum leaks. It's just the mouth that I can't control when it erupts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Similar, yes.

My ex girlfriend drank too much tequila one night and I had to go pick her up from a friend's house. When I got her she barfed on the lawn and made quite a mess of herself. I put her in the shower where she barfed again.

I cleaned her up real good and then scored me some non-consensual anal.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Quote:

Interesting that they would set an upper BMI limit to qualify. I wonder if there's an increased risk during the implant procedure for those over bmi 45

That's to be expected. BMI over 45 typically has a bunch of other comorbidities associated and it makes many treatments very difficult. For instance many of the drugs approved to deal with obesity lately also require that blood pressure is under control, and not too high, so it actually prevents those who are very obese to use them as they often have out of control BP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a neighbor that had the bypass about 2 yrs ago. Lost about 150 lbs. You couldn't even recognize him. Fast forward to present and he has gained maybe 100 of it back. Amazing.

Quote | Reply
David B wrote:

It goes well beyond self-control. You can look at the book mindless eating by Brian Wansik at Cornell to get an idea of how pernicious this all is.
Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with your 1st response is people eat faster than their body tells them they are full

Well that's certainly part of the problem...but then I don't stop eating when I feel full either.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: And in more weight loss news... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh God, I think I just pulled a muscle laughing so hard picturing that scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David B wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Best diet ever.

When I had my first daughter I forgot to eat for about two weeks and lost 12 pounds. This time around it was only 3.

For some reason, with the name David, I thought you were male.
Quote Reply

Prev Next