Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

We can't be 100% sure that's the car but there's a good chance that's it. Two things stood out to me: he gained access to a locked car and he knew right where the trunk close button was instinctively so there's a good chance he's a salesman or a service technician. I figured I'd check the Audi lots in the surrounding area.

Also, I was stuck in New Orleans, couldn't sleep, and had nothing else to do :p

So we are thinking he works at the shop? Why don't we just email the shop, tell them we are looking for a stolen bike, and ask them if they recognize the guy from the video.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Feb 26, 15 19:51
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
I assure you, there are no databases existing that function in this way.

I just looked at my vehicle registration. It has:
-make
-year
-color
-vehicle classification
-VIN #
-driver's license #

My license has my:
-license #
-birth date

It would be very sad if you can't query something like:

SELECT Volkswagen, Black, Compact, WHERE Year BETWEEN 2009 AND 2011

...and then see the corresponding driver's license numbers, go over to the driver's license database, set a height, gender, age range, and the license number range (hash?)

I would be blown away if the police couldn't do something like that. You may not be able to specify "Golf, four door" but that's not a deal breaker by any means. If you really wanted to narrow that down you should be able to query the VINs with the manufacturer.

Forgive my shit SQL, it's been a very long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

We can't be 100% sure that's the car but there's a good chance that's it. Two things stood out to me: he gained access to a locked car and he knew right where the trunk close button was instinctively so there's a good chance he's a salesman or a service technician. I figured I'd check the Audi lots in the surrounding area.

Also, I was stuck in New Orleans, couldn't sleep, and had nothing else to do :p

So we are thinking he works at the shop? Why don't we just email the shop, tell them we are looking for a stolen pick, and ask them if they recognize the guy from the video.

I wouldn't email the shop in case he does work there and he sees the email. If I were Sarah I'd just drive over there (find an excuse... maybe there's a nice restaurant in the area for lunch) see if his car is there. Bring a print out from the security feed and the satellite image and talk to the sales and service managers. They should be accommodative if they're responsible.

It's a long-shot admittedly but it's worth a shot. When the managers see the satellite image of what looks to be the same car in their lot they'll try to figure out a way to help her... unless they're total asses (possible).
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I think should be done. You cannot just get into the car that easily so, to me, the technician /employee angle is more logical than he was targeting Sarah specifically.

When the cerbral cortex is overloaded with information rubbing the lower mandible provides relief ( this only applies to males). That is what he does when he sees the bike in the back of the car. Sometimes you see what you expect to see but I think he was stunned to see the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The flip side is that it appears that his rear seats were already down which tells me he was expecting a bike.

There's a 51cm P5-3 with a P5-6 cockpit and Di2 for sale in Grand Junction. It's another long shot but if this guy knew his way around a bike he might've just swapped the fork and the crank. Wheels appear similar to what I could make out in the video and the Xlab is on there as well. Fly in the ointment is the name tag and what appears to be the Mexican flag :/

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item2c9784b660
I have a used 2014 Cevelo P5-3 with Dura Ace Di2 9070 up for sale. the bike has less than 100 miles on it. I thought it was a great idea to order it prior to being sized on it. I can't get it to fit me.
Here's the build sheet-
51cm Frame
Shimano Dura Ace Di2 9070 components
RT8 brake set with Di2 rear derailleur satellite shifter on right brake lever .
Both High V mount and low mount for the handle bar mounts
Rotor 3d TT crankset 172.5 with QXL 54/44 chainrings
Choice of Fizik saddle or ISM Adamo
Mavic CXR 60 C wheels with wheel bags and additional set of Brake Pads
X-lab stealth pocket 300
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would doubt this one as being the bike. Not likely he just had another one of those forks and the adition aduro riser on hand.

This thread is amazing though. If this does catch the guy, Slowtwitch will again impress me with it ability to uncover the truth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you know the seats were down?. It took him 40 seconds to load the bike. I think they were not down but you may have seen something I missed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
How do you know the seats were down?. It took him 40 seconds to load the bike. I think they were not down but you may have seen something I missed.

I don't think everyone knows that there is a timeshift in the video after he walks off screen with the bike.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

I didn't notice the time shift. Just saw that now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Sausalito and am on my bike around town nearly every day. Video is helpful as well regarding vehicle. Will surely keep an eye out. Guessing its now south of here now though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
JayZ wrote:

I just looked at my vehicle registration. It has:
-make
-year
-color
-vehicle classification
-VIN #
-driver's license #

My license has my:
-license #
-birth date

It would be very sad if you can't query something like:

SELECT Volkswagen, Black, Compact, WHERE Year BETWEEN 2009 AND 2011

...and then see the corresponding driver's license numbers, go over to the driver's license database, set a height, gender, age range, and the license number range (hash?)

I would be blown away if the police couldn't do something like that. You may not be able to specify "Golf, four door" but that's not a deal breaker by any means. If you really wanted to narrow that down you should be able to query the VINs with the manufacturer.

Forgive my shit SQL, it's been a very long time.

Prepare to be blown away. You can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, the thief may have backed up at the end to wipe his prints off the door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:

My emotions are currently oscillating between this

and this

Edit: you mean to tell me that we can put rovers on Mars but we can't reverse lookup a vehicle's driver? This is why we haven't made contact with intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. Nobody wants to talk to us.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Feb 26, 15 21:02
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmacandcheese wrote:
No front plate, it's either been removed (unlikely, police attention grabber), registered in AZ or NM for the SW/W, or a dealer plate is stuck on the back.

States Requiring Only 1 Plate:
AL, AZ, AR, CT (1 OR 2), DE, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MS, NM, NC, OK, PA, SC, TN, WV
States Requiring 2 Plates:
AK, CA, CO, DC, HI, ID, IL, IA, ME, MD, MA, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NY, ND, OH, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY

No front plate in CA is very common. Very very rarely will that be cited. Used to be you could not be pulled over for an equipment violation, but I'm pretty sure that has changed. Some plate cites have increased due to red light cameras and tolling by plate (both bring revenue)

California state agency computer systems are absolute crap. All waste millions on systems that do not work.

Most agencies will not bother to investigate a lowly bike theft. If a bike is recovered, they might try to find an owner; don't hold your breath.

I'd wager that Slowtwitch has spent a hundred times the hours that most CA agencies would ever spend on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Cyronman wrote:
Nice.

Also, it's on the opposite side but the white thing in the dash is still there. Which may or may not be some sort of SF thing that's common but he still has that there. In the screen shot from the video it seems to be paper but it may be something to allow him in and out of the dealership.

I'm not sure of the laws in California, but the other cars on the street have front license plates, but the VW from the video does not. Maybe it has dealer plates and he gets away with not suing a front plate? I may be just running with the theory you've proposed but that's a lot of information in it's favor.

I'd also agree that the lines are a roof rack, and you can clearly see that there is a sunroof between so just another few pieces that add to the distinctiveness of the car.

A few things to check are when is that Google image taken? If it's recent it may still be on the lot and in fact be a salesman at the dealership - if it's older it would probably be an older car. I quick checked the inventory of their lot at it doesn't seem that they have and VW's for sale - But i'm going to keep searching to see if i can find a "SOLD" listing.

I just checked, the image was dated February 2nd of this year. It's very recent. Also, I'm now 99% sure it's a Mk6 (wiki) as there's a difference in fog lights between the Mk6 and Mk7 (the Mk6 are round whereas the Mk7 the fog lights are almost "hidden" in an air intake). This is really really good news as the Mk6 had an unusually short production run which should further narrow vehicle registrations (manufactured between 2009 and 2011).

I´m pretty sure it is a mk6. i had the same car in red. Front of mk7 is slightly different
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:

Sorry to burst your naive bubble, but databases like this absolutely exist. I work with a database that has this capability, and much much more, every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:

I don't know if you are saying that, no free and publicly available system exists for the general public to do this

or if you are saying that this can't be done period.

If you are saying the latter, you are wrong.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posted this video on our fb and twitter and let Sarah know.

I too am doubtful that state agencies will find the bike, but I bet that the ST mind meld will. I can think of at least 5 ways this bike can be disposed of:
1) sell to a pawn shop
2) sell on a local tri club website
3) sell via a bike shop
4) sell on ebay (link to all P5s on ebay)
5) sell on craiglist (link to all P5s on all craiglist sites).

Keep your eyes peeled ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [electrolytextc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
electrolytextc wrote:
JayZ wrote:

Sorry to burst your naive bubble, but databases like this absolutely exist. I work with a database that has this capability, and much much more, every day.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be possible, I'm saying that cops don't have access to search DMV records by metrics like height and weight.

I'm honestly about 50/50 whether or not courts would even allow it or decide it was a 4th amendment violation to cull data this way.

I've been a cop for 8 years and an investigator for 5 of that. It doesn't work that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
JayZ wrote:

My emotions are currently oscillating between this

and this

Edit: you mean to tell me that we can put rovers on Mars but we can't reverse lookup a vehicle's driver? This is why we haven't made contact with intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. Nobody wants to talk to us.

I literally had coffee come out my nose.

Quote | Reply
I don't think it was a manual, there was absolutely no roll back when he was going back and forth to the car. I speculated too and watched it in half speed and didn't see anything to suggest. If you look at his arms it just doesn't look like a motion of putting a manual transmission in reverse/first.
Quote Reply
Re: Come'on ST Sleuths, Find Sarah Piampiano's Bike [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 1:47/:48 when he goes from Reverse to first it looks like a manual shift to me. And he shifts while the car is still rolling back, which you can do in an auto but is really clunky.

I wouldn't stake anything on any if that, though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I called my audi dealer (I have an sq5) and a service tech looked at the video and said the car was left unlocked. The factory default is that the lights turn on when you unlock the doors and that doesn't happen. You can set it for that not to happen, but she would have had to manually turned off that feature and that is not likely. Possible, but not likely.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Feb 27, 15 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh yes, you're right. Watching it in half time actually hurt me there because I couldn't see it continue to move while shifting.
Quote Reply

Prev Next