Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
So my stock 2014 Experts falls into this?

Yes, these aerobars are affected and should not be ridden until an approved fix is available.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irongirl101 wrote:
Thanks for the update Mark. If it's as serious as you are suggesting you might want to organise a repair line at the Ironman New Zealand expo next week.

The Specialized New Zealand and Australia Rider Care team are here for you. Please contact them through your Specialized retailer. I know the team will be at Ironman New Zealand to help in any way that they can.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [malfara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malfara wrote:
Mark,
I saw this pretty much at the same time i was told the shop i worked at(and bought the shiv) is closing....

Are there specific bolts that need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Replacing the bolts is not an approved solution. For safety reasons, we want all riders who have these affected Aerobars to stop riding them.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [downesy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
downesy wrote:
rowancbrown wrote:
So what are the options for us southern hemisphere riders racing in the coming days and weeks? Buy a non-specialized aerobar?

This really impacts hugely on us in the southern hemisphere. While half of the US is snowed in we have 3 of the country's 4 Ironman races coming within about 3 months.

My wife doesn't have another bike to fall back on. For her, this needs to be sorted NOW. If Specialized can't come up with a fix they need to allow Shiv owners to buy a replacement set of bars in the knowledge they'll be reimbursed fully.

Please work directly with Specialized Rider Care in your country. You can contact them through your Specialized retailer.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulbanday wrote:
Hi Mark,

if i changed the bolts to titanium, will this help to resolve the issue in the meantime? looking forward to your reply. Thanks

Replacing the bolts is not an approved solution. For safety reasons, we want all riders who have these affected Aerobars to stop riding them.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Badger2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well ... this is certainly not good news for me and my shivvie.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shop I bought my shiv from went out of business will I get a notice via e-mail (I registered the bike on the Specialized website) when the fix is available.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we are all clear, we are discussing these bars:

http://www.specialized.com/...robar-with-aero-stem

and

http://www.specialized.com/...formed-alloy-aerobar

and the issue is with the bolts that can be seen proximal to the elbow pads?

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
loutriguy wrote:
So my stock 2014 Experts falls into this?

Yes, these aerobars are affected and should not be ridden until an approved fix is available.

Mark
Thank you. So does this explain the time I was riding and my right aerobar came loose and slid?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you address the low-stack clamp use? Is it OK to use the bars if the user is using the low stack clamps from Specialized instead?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
irongirl101 wrote:
Thanks for the update Mark. If it's as serious as you are suggesting you might want to organise a repair line at the Ironman New Zealand expo next week.

The Specialized New Zealand and Australia Rider Care team are here for you. Please contact them through your Specialized retailer. I know the team will be at Ironman New Zealand to help in any way that they can.

Mark

Thanks Mark - I have just received an email from my LBS advising the following aftermarket solution:

The solution uses a replacement Profile base bar and extension mounting clamp used in conjunction with the existing Aerobar extensions and Aerobar pads.

For riders with carbon aerobars a new stem will also be required.
The bike requires some new cabling and replication of the position will be as close as possible to original.
The cost for this solution is $260 (without stem)

To say I am unhappy about being expected to shell out AU$260 plus a stem just to get to ride at IMNZ next week (and no guarantee of replication of my riding position) would be an understatement. This is a safety problem Specialized has identified and that cost should therefore be borne by Specialized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anxiuosly waiting. Wonder what the solution will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irongirl101 wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:
irongirl101 wrote:

Mark

Thanks Mark - I have just received an email from my LBS advising the following aftermarket solution:

The solution uses a replacement Profile base bar and extension mounting clamp used in conjunction with the existing Aerobar extensions and Aerobar pads.

The bike requires some new cabling and replication of the position will be as close as possible to original.

To say I am unhappy about being expected to shell out AU$260 plus a stem just to get to ride at IMNZ next week (and no guarantee of replication of my riding position) would be an understatement. This is a safety problem Specialized has identified and that cost should therefore be borne by Specialized.

No way will they make us pay. That's ridiculous. On another note, my LBS told me to keep riding until I hear something. Sounds different than what was posted here.

If I have the stock base bar and pads/clamps...but different extensions.....do I still fall under the issue they are having??
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
The shop I bought my shiv from went out of business will I get a notice via e-mail (I registered the bike on the Specialized website) when the fix is available.

Joel

Yes, our Rider Care team is reaching out to all registered owners. We first contacted our retailers as they have the closest contact with many riders who choose not to register their equipment on Specialized.com.

Additionally, all pertinent information is being put onto a page on Specialized.com in the Safety Notices section. This has not been placed yet but will be shortly and will be the go-to for any updates.
http://www.specialized.com/...pport/safety-notices

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irongirl101 wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:
irongirl101 wrote:

Mark

Please contact Rider Care in your country. In New Zealand, they can be reached at Customerservice.nz@specialized.com and in AU the contact is infoau@specialized.com. They will make sure you're taken care of and setup before IMNZ.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark

Thank you for your updates and your support of all of cyclist who use your product. To all those that are effected by this issue trust me Specialized is an extraordinary company compared to the rest of bike brands and if you reach out to them they will do whatever it takes to get you riding. I had some issues with my Shiv and they had replacement parts out to me the moment they found out what the issue was. They truly care about getting folks riding. I have a feeling they will do the same for the IMNZ racers out there. They truly are a good brand and I will never ride another bike other than specialized due to the way they have handled their warranties and support. I am a Shiv owner and I will await the replacement part which I heard is going fix our current set ups. I also heard 3/2/15 is when they are going to communicate what is next. As a fellow Ironman I feel for those IMNZ racers out there but believe me there is not a better bike brand than Specialized to back you up and get you riding.

Eugene
Last edited by: bamatriguy: Apr 30, 15 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
malfara wrote:
Mark,
I saw this pretty much at the same time i was told the shop i worked at(and bought the shiv) is closing....

Are there specific bolts that need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Mark

Here's my documentation, from Vineman 70.3 last year :-).

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Can you confirm whether there will be a major change to aero/base bar set up, as someone mentioned above? I have sworks with carbon bars. I have a bike fit scheduled next week, and will cancel if that is the case, or at least reschedule after bar is fixed/ changed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. This worries me as I have a race next week (March 8) Ironman Subic Bay 70.3.

Hope Specialized Philippines can help provide the solution.
Last edited by: paulbanday: Feb 24, 15 2:01
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone gotten any feedback through their LBS to this at this point? I reached out to mine, and they were super confussed, that's nothing new though, they always are. Wanted me to bring in bike before they could call etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Badger2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well this makes sense I guess. my right aerobar bolt/clamp essentially snapped off in the middle of IMCHOO. I rode 60 miles in aero holding up one of the bars with all my weight on the other arm. I've already bought a new cockpit, which is frustrating because I had to shell out some $$ to do so and it seems it wasn't my fault. Such is life I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [tri_atl12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing the bright side of this. Always wanted a set of carbon aerobars.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I just had a call from someone from Specialized in NZ after my email to them.

They're, as you can expect, working like mad to come up with an appropriate solution and are painfully aware of the timing with IMNZ next weekend. They don't have a 100% confirmed solution at the moment, but are getting close. It doesn't sound like it will be a bar swap as someone has suggested, but rather replacing the bolts that are the culprit.

For IMNZ athletes, as Mark Cote has said, they'll be in Taupo providing the swapout for us there.

That was really the gist of the conversation, so it doesn't sound like there'll be any positional issues to be concerned about if it is just a bolt replacement. They will release more info. about the what and how etc. when they have it confirmed what the final solution will be.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [mickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm keeping the faith Mickey and looking forward to seeing all my fellow Shiv riders in line at Taupo next week, lol :) One way of getting us all together and gives us something to think about other than the race!
Last edited by: irongirl101: Feb 24, 15 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll also be in IMNZ with my Shiv. Emailed Spec NZ and IMNZ to see if they can elaborate, nothing further as yet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next