Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice
Quote | Reply
Had a call from LBS here in OZ. Told me not to ride my Shiv until this matter is resolved. Any one else had a call? Not sure if old news
Last edited by: Badger2501: Feb 21, 15 13:42
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [Badger2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New news. Potential bolt issue that holds aerobar clamps in place. I just swapped out my old aero set up for the Specialized. Shop forwarded me the email today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard from my LBS but have seen a pic of the message on FB and now trying to figure out if my Shiv is affected (and with IMNZ in a fortnight...!). Did they give you any timeline for a fix? Potentially a few unhappy Shiv owners with NZ/Aus IM season kicking into gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Applies to Shivs from 2012-2015
Both Carbon and Aluminum Aerobars.
So far no timeline for fix

Last edited by: Domal: Feb 21, 15 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very recent news and I can only share the information we have at this time.

We have identified a potential problem with the aerobar extension mounting hardware on Carbon Aerobars with Aero Stem and Hydroformed Alloy Aerobars. We’ve sold these aerobars separately and as original equipment on the following bike models: 2012-2015 Shiv models (excluding the Shiv TT and Shiv framesets); 2013 Specialized Transition Apex.

Our concern is the extension clamp bolt may break, which could result in the rider losing control. We initiated a voluntary report with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (“CPSC”) and we will work closely with them on approval of a new extension clamp kit which solves the concern. For safety reasons, we want all riders who have these Aerobars to stop riding. All affected Shivs and Transitions, and aftermarket Aerobars have stopped shipping worldwide and retailers have been informed that they should stop selling and notify current owners.

Our team is working closely with the CPSC on approval of the new extension clamp kit and we will keep you posted on our progress. We are working hard at keeping everyone informed, and we are planning on a new announcement by March 2nd.

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on a Shiv with alloy bar and have installed the low-stack clamps. This makes the bars OK to use, correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mark -

This happened to me, but my bolts were fairly rusted (too much trainer time) which I assumed was the cause of the clap failure. It broke when I hit a bump while descending @ 40mph, but I kept the rubber down! Thanks for trying to get the word out.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my stock 2014 Experts falls into this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Title fixed now. Apologies just a newbie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update Mark. If it's as serious as you are suggesting you might want to organise a repair line at the Ironman New Zealand expo next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Badger2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey.... I've had issues with those bolts and with the aerobar clamps. Stripped threads in the clamps lead to bolt failing to tighten, and yes I use a torque wrench (before anyone asks). It failed in my garage after reassembly as opposed to snapping while riding. I had the right clamp replaced last year but the new one is identical and probably also affected. Left clamp is original and seems okay. Thanks! I'll call the LBS and see what they can do.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what are the options for us southern hemisphere riders racing in the coming days and weeks? Buy a non-specialized aerobar?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Badger2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I guess its a good thing I have a road bike. Is this anything to do with the fact that my bars won't stay level? I wonder? I just have to adjust them so often. I'm not a bike mechanic.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep us posted. Hopefully a fix is released very soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS said March 2nd for a fix to be released to dealers. Nothing can be done prior to that date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,
I saw this pretty much at the same time i was told the shop i worked at(and bought the shiv) is closing....

Are there specific bolts that need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Ryan

Last edited by: malfara: Feb 22, 15 17:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thread title says "carbon aerobar", but it includes the the aluminum version as well. I think we are talking all stock shiv bars. The way the notice is written is a little confusing if you stop reading after "carbon aerobar with....". Mark's comments make it clear, but I thought it was worth pointing out again.

I assume the "problem bolt" is the single bolt that adjusts the angle of the bars? I've always thought that the single bolt design seems like a weak link. I've hit a hard bump once and it caused the bar to slip down a bit, but the bolt didn't break. It seems like an awful lot to ask for a single small bolt to clamp the bar like that. If that's the problem bolt, then it seems that anyone who has installed the low stack kit would not be affected since it eliminates the adjustment pivot.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [rowancbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rowancbrown wrote:
So what are the options for us southern hemisphere riders racing in the coming days and weeks? Buy a non-specialized aerobar?

This really impacts hugely on us in the southern hemisphere. While half of the US is snowed in we have 3 of the country's 4 Ironman races coming within about 3 months.

My wife doesn't have another bike to fall back on. For her, this needs to be sorted NOW. If Specialized can't come up with a fix they need to allow Shiv owners to buy a replacement set of bars in the knowledge they'll be reimbursed fully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I purchased a SHIV Expert last spring and the left aero-bar snapped at the worst possible time. During Ironman Wi.

I have a great local bike shop that is super strong with the Specialized line. We chalked the bolt snapping up to me being a bigger rider 217 the day of IMOO. I hit a serious bump in the road, the left bar melted under me, almost went over the front of the bike, stained my shorts, then tried to ride with the left bar hanging from my hand, couldn't chuck the bar assembly because of shifter cable, ended up stopping and waiting for support, after long delay got new bolt put in and finished the race.

At least now I know I was not crazy.

I love my SHIV and my Roubaix, looking forward to eliminating my concerns with the aero bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mark,

if i changed the bolts to titanium, will this help to resolve the issue in the meantime? looking forward to your reply. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluto wrote:
The thread title says "carbon aerobar", but it includes the the aluminum version as well. I think we are talking all stock shiv bars. The way the notice is written is a little confusing if you stop reading after "carbon aerobar with....". Mark's comments make it clear, but I thought it was worth pointing out again.

I assume the "problem bolt" is the single bolt that adjusts the angle of the bars? I've always thought that the single bolt design seems like a weak link. I've hit a hard bump once and it caused the bar to slip down a bit, but the bolt didn't break. It seems like an awful lot to ask for a single small bolt to clamp the bar like that. If that's the problem bolt, then it seems that anyone who has installed the low stack kit would not be affected since it eliminates the adjustment pivot.

That would be the problem I have.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, what a mess.
doesn't matter how aero a broken bike is...
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS hadn't heard about this when I called them this morning but later advised me that I was ok to keep riding. I don't think that is official specialized advice given the information in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slidecontrol wrote:

well played, slidecontrol, well played.
Quote Reply

Prev Next