Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A nice day out.
Quote | Reply
Nothing in kathy_caribe's league but I'm happy to report I scored my first monument with a third in my category at Geelong 70.3 on the weekend!

I wish I could say it was a planned 'A' race but it was more a 'I call myself a triathlete so I'd better sign up for something before the season runs out and I hit the trails & XC skis' race. I've also got a skymarathon coming up in a month or so, so my taper week started with a 23km trail run with 1km of elevation. Yeah, whatever...put my feet up & stuck to swimming for the rest of the week. The 3.5k swim day a couple of days out probably wasn't in the ideal plan either but it was too nice not to go swimming over an underwater garden on a hot day..

I discovered after watch & nutrition malfunctions at my last race that I quite like the 'less is more' approach, so I went into this one with no watch, no HRM & minimal nutrition which was still far more than I needed. I also purposefully ignored my bike computer so I had no idea what my bike split was. I have to say I loved the lack of distraction. All I needed to do was race and keep tuned into how I was feeling.

Conditions were great, the field was relatively small and I just had a great day. A good swim for me. I started close to the front of the group, minimal collisions and fast smooth conditions. I've been training in my slower tighter 'B' wettie mostly, so my 'A' wettie just felt super fast & fantastic. As a novel experience I was passing people and finding the space to settle in. I'd had a great conversation with one of the 'real' swimmers at Masters a week or so ago and his words of wisdom were in my head as I swam, helping me get a better stroke.

The bike leg is where I'm most at home & this one was fun. Just enough ups and downs to keep it fresh and I was also purposefully ignored my bike computer so it was just me & Fuji. The whole road was closed, my bike felt sweet and we just cruised along, steadily picking off those 'P' branded calves. The last leg I was playing cat & mouse with a category competitor but I trusted my legs, stuck to the feel of my pace and ground her down. Hit T2 in front with enough time to get my bike shoes off & get in a discrete pee (thick grass - who's to know?) Bonus! No piss on my bike shoes!

I have to admit, the run is always where I start asking myself 'why am I doing this? It hurts!' Nevertheless, I was conscious I'd left a surprisingly empty T2 and I generally hold my place on the run. Focused on form, tuned in to getting as comfortable as I could and got on with it. Got passed by one gun runner in my age group but otherwise kept it steady, pretended I was enjoying myself and committed to running all the aid stations. Hit the magic coke around the 12km mark which gave me a bit more spring.

Made an effort to run tall past the photographers, high fived every kid I saw on the course and went down the chute happy in the knowledge that I had absolutely no idea what my time was. Hearing the words 'podium' as I crossed the line was icing on the cake, closely followed by the large cold (non-alcoholic) recovery beer. A nice day out!

One of my favourite pics here - Yeah, I ride like a girl...

Quote Reply
Re: A nice day out. [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Sounds like an awesome day! (And I wish I looked half as good as you do on the bike.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is just an awesome day! GREAT job.

I'm becoming more & more a fan of going to events without watches & not paying too much attention to clocks. Our bodies are finely tuned machines & it's amazing what we're capable of when we listen to them & empower them to take us higher. The flip side, of course, could be disastrous....but I think when we pay so much damn attention to numbers & paces & goal times & all that other crap we wind up selling ourselves short & missing SO much of the enjoyment that this sport is supposed to bring us. Also, I think if we DO limit ourselves to relying on the clocks & the numbers, we never hone in on that ability to listen to our bodies well enough to know when to dial it back or empty the tank.

GREAT job on having a great day & going with it! Be so, so, so very proud of it. That race is why we're all hooked on it! Because the first one we did, when we didn't know any better, was so much damn fun.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE this!!! You are a total badass in that picture too!!!

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! How exciting!

Agree - that photo is badass.
Quote Reply
Re: A nice day out. [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Congratulations!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: A nice day out. [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much, all you womens, the support is much appreciated.

AWARE, I think you're so right. Luckily I've not had a melt down in a race as yet, and I do wonder sometimes if it's because I do train on feel more than numbers, so I've got confidence to go with that.

Would I be faster, stronger, better if I paid more attention to the numbers and the 'seriousness' of racing? Who knows... I might miss out on the best moment of a sunrise or the smile on the face of the kid I've just slapped palms with on the side of the road.

Next adventure is heading up a filthy great big mountain on foot. Guaranteed I'll be stopping along the way to smell the views:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome and inspirational!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do especially love this bit of wisdom. I am in the middle of moving to a smaller home (that I actually OWN) and amid all the renovating work and general mayhem I took 4 days "OFF" from working out and have been eating WHATEVER. Yesterday I did a run on the treadmill followed by a little indoor brick this morning and I felt AWESOME. No HR monitor, no real data except a general idea of how long I did each activity. I actually felt a little of the "spark" that got me hooked on triathlon again. It is FUN to just do it!!! I'm going to hang on to this for my 50th year and make it my mantra!!!

Thank you and again, you are a badass!!!

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply