Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training swimwear for large bust
Quote | Reply
Hello. I'm new. I'm a swimmer, not a triathlete, but I hope you will tolerate me nonetheless. To make it short and sweet, I swam competitively growing up and am now (at 43) getting back to it. Evidently I have a freak-ish body because I cannot find training-wear that fits and it is making me crazy. I'm 5'2", 120 pounds, which is fine, the problem is my 34D bust. The only legitimate swimwear I've found that fits my bust is TYR with bust support, but the smallest size the line makes is a size 6-8, which drowns me all over except my chest. Speedo and other training-wear fits fine in my size (size 32) from the waist down, but I can't get it on over my bust and shoulders. I can't even come close to getting it on. So I train (5-6 hrs/week) in TYR that is way too big, looks and feels like I'm wearing a diaper, and the drag is terrible, or I swim in a civilian tankini with terrible coverage that needs to be adjusted after every flip turn.
I'm totally desperate for advice. I just hope the advice is not "wear a training bikini" because that is totally out of the question. I would wear a TANKini--but the only one I've found is TYR, which comes no smaller than a size 8. Do you wonder what I wore competing growing up? I do too! The club measured us and ordered our suits. I know no more about it than that. Also, having 4 kids has changed my body in weird ways--I'm pretty sure I didn't look like this at 15 yrs old.
Anyway, help please!
Quote Reply
Re: Training swimwear for large bust [kfoxl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very small-chested so I'm brainstorming here, not speaking from experience. What about wearing a bikini top under a swimsuit that fits elsewhere? Layering suits is not all that uncommon anyway, as they provide drag (wearing two suits was totally "in" when I was in HS... LOL...).

I feel like this topic has been discussed on this forum before, so you might try a search :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about your weight, but a few inches taller with 32D. The only suits that fit all of me (particulary the bust) are TYR maxbacks.

Anything else and the straps are digging, too short in the torso, side-boob, top-boob... :-/
Last edited by: katcycles: Feb 9, 15 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Training swimwear for large bust [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a friend of mine in HS was pretty well-endowed and one day during a meet she dove in and had a breast pop out... she was able to laugh it off; I would have been mortified.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Training swimwear for large bust [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I'm very small-chested so I'm brainstorming here, not speaking from experience. What about wearing a bikini top under a swimsuit that fits elsewhere? Layering suits is not all that uncommon anyway, as they provide drag (wearing two suits was totally "in" when I was in HS... LOL...).

I feel like this topic has been discussed on this forum before, so you might try a search :-)
That's what I do, 2-piece under 1 piece, also 34D.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Training swimwear for large bust [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned something today. I have a cute suit that's scandalous. I'll throw on my 2-piece top under!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi- I may be able to connect you with someone who can help. My wife was a competitive synchronized swimmer and had similar problems with finding suits that fit, albeit for different anatomical reasons. Anyhow, her mom, who was (and is) a great seamstress, starting making suits for her daughters. It evolved into a full -time one employee business, with her mom making suits for Cirque du Soleil, and just about every country that had synchronized swimmers. Many of her suits were elaborate, competition suits with amazing designs, sequins, the whole bit. But she has a whole selection of stock and can custom design as well. If you're interested, let me know and I'l provide contact info.

Good luck! and welcome to tri!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YAY! Another swimmer. There's a few of us that lurk around these parts...some of us occasionally dabble in triathlon, but swimming is where my heart is.

I have no good solution for you other than to say keep looking for something that works. I can tell you that Nike suits probably won't work, they tend to have long torsos, but that's about as much as I'm really clear on now. I'm guessing that growing up you wore a team suit that was tight & didn't think much of it other than that.

AW
Quote Reply