Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 26 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope the womens are well!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 26 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week: bike at least 60 miles nope, swim at least 15k nope, day off from running yes!, and total mileage less than or equal to 50 nope. And no eating issues, though I must say (hopefully I am not jinxing myself here) I have sooo been doing a good job with all of that :-) issues one day. tired + overwhelming amount of schoolwork = issues. But I am doing well again!

M: 11.5 mi run (2 x 5k @ 7:35 pace) + 1800 yd swim
T: 6.5 mi run + 4200 yd swim+ 6 mi bike
W: 20 min. stairmaster + 4200 yd swim + 6 mi bike
T: 12 mi run + 1600 yd swim + 6 mi bike
F: 8 mi run
S: 9.5 mi run
S: 6 mi run + 5 mi bike

totals 11,800 yd swim + 23 mi bike + 53.5 mi run

goals for this week: same as last, 15k swim/60 mi bike/ less than 50 mi run, day off from running.
I signed up for a half marathon on Feb. 14 in Salt Lake on an indoor track, pretty excited!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 4: WIN
Bike x 3: WIN
Run x 6: WIN
Core/strength x 4: WIN

Threw my back out putting on my running tights on Saturday - still sore, though the only interference with SBR is that it hurts when I do flip turns. Spent most of yesterday in bed with a horrible headache (though did get a swim, run & bike in) which has carried over to today, and now my right trapezius is sore and glitchy.

Meh. Whatevs.

This week's goals:
Swim x 4
Bike x 3
Run x 6
Core/strength x 4

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I was doing well until Friday night/Saturday morning when I got some sort of bug - since then my main accomplishment has been watching old movies on Netflix. Before I got sick I managed run x 5, bike x 2, swim x 3, ski x 1.

Goals for this week: stop coughing up my lungs, try not to stress out about all the exercise I'm not doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. Had a great spin with the club on Saturday. Running was the "meh" part. Got in two okay runs, but no long run yesterday. I know I'm not running enough days in the week, but I also don't feel like I'm making any improvements in speed or stamina. I'm not a great runner at all - but the goal is a sub 1hr 10km sometime this summer and it's feeling like a pipe dream at this point.

And my husband suggested I just race bikes instead (cause I'm actually okay at that). Grrrr - I want to do the run/tri thing to prove I CAN be an okay runner and stick with it - not because I have any desire to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing Tour of Sufferlandria this week, it's going well so far.

Just got turned down for my refi, so that really sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad. Failed at biking, only made it once. Got in one swim... which is OK, during this part of the year I shoot for 1-2x per week.
Got in all 6 runs though... Tues. night indoor speed workout was a complete disaster! Not sure what happened. I'm thinking it was two nights of extremely poor sleep and then stopping caffeine... I wasn't sure my iron felt like it was improving so I decided to stop tea (tannins interfere with iron absorption - mostly non-heme like what is found in supplements). Needless to say there's a big black hole in my mornings now.
Hot water, lemon, and honey has been decent.

Killed my long run. I had 16, and a friend joining me for the last 10mi. The first 6mi were definitely slower than the last 10 - proof of something I've suspected, that I run faster WITH someone than when I'm alone. I was quite pleased with my average pace for the duration of the run.

Got bad news on my dog. He very very most likely has lymphoma. Dog chemo would cost $3k and have only a 60% chance of extending his life by one year. He's 10.
So we have started him on prednisone and are going to make him comfortable. The normal/average life span for his suspected breed (he was a rescue) is 10-13 yrs.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 26 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm SO SORRY about your pooch. :(

Sounds like you are making a very well thought out decision & he will get to live out his life with love/treats/snuggles.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 26 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you LIKE running? I think that's the important thing.
You were doing the BarryP plan, right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sounds like you are making a very well thought out decision & he will get to live out his life with love/treats/snuggles.

I don't think it can be said better than this. I am so sorry; it is so hard when our furry family members are ill.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a love/hate relationship with running. I find it hard, but I also like that it's hard. When it finally starts getting easier I have this sense of accomplishment that i don't get from things I'm naturally better at.

I was doing the BarryP thing, but stopped when winter hit and I wasn't running outside anymore. Now that I have a treadmill at home, maybe I should reconsider.

I think I'm just being impatient. I also tend to re beer the bad runs and forget about the good ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever since my lovely flip-flop run, I've been injured with shin splints on one leg and what I think is peroneal tendonitis on the other leg. Gave up trying to get in short runs on January 13th because my ankle started hurting worse and worse although I have still been doing a daily mile on the treadmill to keep my mile streak alive. Proceeded to get surpringsingly depressed in a very short period of time. Went renew my gym membership last week so I can at least elliptical and am already starting to feel better emotionally.

Goal for this week is to keep going to the gym to keep myself sane and go to the doctor's tomorrow with my fingers crossed. I also got a new brace for my ankle which is at least making it much less painful to walk which is exciting because I would love to stop limping around my classroom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As another person who is not a natural runner, I feel the same about running. I work my butt off to be a mediocre runner (all while watching my husband do the same amount of work and run amazing times). It sucks and it's hard but it's also the greatest thing ever because it sucks and it's hard. I found consistency was the biggest thing for me, even if it just meant going out for 1-2 miles if I didn't feel like doing anything more.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 26 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you can do is help him be comfortable and enjoy him while he is still here. I couldn't imagine putting a dog through the pain of chemo (and also putting yourself through the pain of seeing your dog go through chemo).

We put down our 11 year old dog a few months ago after her being diagnosed with a very enlarged heart for a little over a year. It was still terribly hard and felt really sudden even though we knew it was coming but we knew we couldn't leave her in pain anymore. It's almost a relief when you can see them not in pain anymore and be there when they go.

/hugs
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 26 Edition [csikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The good thing is he doesn't seem to be in pain, or much pain. He's doing his normal doggie things. But he wasn't eating well. And then he really wasn't eating well and his neck was swollen, there were two large large swollen glands... so we took him in.
But then he perked up and the neck's swollen glands reduced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well enough, almost 100%. I am still not running, I decided to leave it until after worlds so I don't have a boomerang cough situation. But I did ride twice, skated three times, and walked a LOT.

This week is skate twice, keep walking lots, keep the running on hold, get a massage, get enough rest after flying Friday morning, get food sorted, gear sorted and tested out on Sat (new LT klap blades -- sooooo pretty!), then RACING starts Sunday! (long track first 500 and 1500). I'll try to update as I go, and see if I can get some pics out there too! Sooooo excited!!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a little wake up call from the scale yesterday, so back to calorie counting. Lose It! has upped it's game since the last time I used it. Barcode scanner works great & adding meals/snacks is much more user friendly.

Yesterday was great - today I'm just hungry... I'm much more mindful of what I eat when I'm counting calories, so not only am I eating less, I'm eating healthier & more balanced meals.

I've been getting up early to run before the rest of the house wakes up. This morning I woke up before the alarm. Still working on going to bed earlier, although I'm getting better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met with a swim coach last weekend and we worked on a bunch of little tweaks to my stroke. Having things to work on has been the motivation I needed to get back in the pool regularly. Today will be 4 days of swimming this week, up from 1 day a week at best before. Haven't ridden as much as I'd like this week, but will be working next week on a training groove that will better balance the swimming, cycling, and weight training. I think I'm gaining momentum now though, and for me that's the most important part right now! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 26 Edition [Tx Tri Girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which has carried over to today, and now my right trapezius is sore and glitchy.

http://www.mmovegas.com/
Quote Reply