Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

warm morning drink alternatives to tea or coffee?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for suggestions.
In my ongoing struggles with low iron, I know the tannins in tea can interfere with iron absorption. So I decided to give tea the boot this week.
(side note - been on an increased dose of iron supplement since early Dec. under my dr's supervision, not sure I'm improving)

I can't stand coffee.

So far I've tried a bit of hot water with lemon and honey, that wasn't bad.
I also tried the "emergen-c" warmer drink packet - they have a warm apple cider flavor. I didn't even finish half of it, though it wasn't bad. It just wasn't good enough for me to keep drinking it.

I can't see doing hot chocolate either, since I take the one iron supplement dose in the morning and dairy interferes with iron absorption.

So, I have a fairly long commute and it's winter, so a hot drink is just really awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Quote Reply
Re: warm morning drink alternatives to tea or coffee? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have started drinking plain old hot water. I love it. It's a good substitute for the bah-jillion cups of coffee I *used* to drink. If I'm going to drink calories, it better be a good craft beer. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: warm morning drink alternatives to tea or coffee? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
I have started drinking plain old hot water. I love it. It's a good substitute for the bah-jillion cups of coffee I *used* to drink. If I'm going to drink calories, it better be a good craft beer. :-)

AP

My husband makes fun of me for this. BUT - I like having a warm drink while watching tv at night. And if I have something to sip/occupy my hands I'm less likely to think about eating.

My mom makes hot water with a few pieces of real ginger. I imagine that would be pretty tasty if you like ginger.
Quote Reply
Re: warm morning drink alternatives to tea or coffee? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like hot water. That the first thing I drink. Then coffee then hot water w/ tart cherry juice. It makes some people tired, but not me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get herb tea that doesn't have any real tea in it, and it won't interfere with iron absorption. Spark brand makes a Lemon Ginger that I really like. I also like hot water with lemon and honey and cloves or cinnamon, or hot water with fresh ginger slices. There might be some vegan hot chocolate options (to avoid dairy). My mom used to fix hot Tang. Not sure if the still make Tang.
Quote Reply
Re: warm morning drink alternatives to tea or coffee? [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tang thing made me think of Ribena - blackcurrant juice concentrate. It's pretty tasty as a hot drink with a splash of lime. Since it's in concentrate form, you can add as little or as much as you want.
Quote Reply
Re: warm morning drink alternatives to tea or coffee? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never thought of doing that, or the hot water + tart cherry juice.

I will also happily drink plain hot water, but am quite fond of fruit-flavored tea (which may or may not have actual tea in it, don't know)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: warm morning drink alternatives to tea or coffee? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the hot Ribena -- it's especially good if you're congested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
news flash -- I just read it's possible to make a hot carbonated drink in the microwave. I'd love to try this with fizzy lemonade or blackcurrant syrup in sparkling water. Apparently on the stove the fizz boils away, but it stays when you zap it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jello?

For realz. When I was a kid, when I was sick, my grandma would make me hot jello to drink. To this day it's the ultimate comfort drink for me :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: warm morning drink alternatives to tea or coffee? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chai tea with soy milk- just the right amount of protein and sugar and tastes so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second hot Tang. It'll warm you right up. I don't know if they make it, but maybe something similar with less sugar?
Quote Reply