Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [PSJoyce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just given this beta a try with the Vectors and TR. Overall very good, most of time the Vector power (on my Garmin) was very close to the target power but wasn't the same as the actual power shown on TR. In some of the intervals it was still holding me a bit high, target was 308 but I was seeing a fair bit of 320 - 340 on the Garmin and not much below 308 to suggest this was the result of averaging.

What settings are others using on TR. Do you have the "Use power from electronic trainer" check box selected? Are you using and power smoothing on TR?

Thanks
Jon
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Jon208] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't do anything. My numbers are still off some while riding but I'm thinking that is a delay between TR and the garmin because once the ride is over and I check my average and NP against what TR says I have been off only 1 watt for each of my 3 rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Fork-Um] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fork-Um wrote:
I didn't do anything. My numbers are still off some while riding but I'm thinking that is a delay between TR and the garmin because once the ride is over and I check my average and NP against what TR says I have been off only 1 watt for each of my 3 rides.

My Garmin shows higher power than TR/Wahooligan do..Yesterday I did 3x10 min threshold (330 watt), where TR and Wahoo showed 328-329-329, and my Garmin gave me 329-331-335. The power are also 5-8 higher on the rest intervals (165 w) on my Garmin. Strange..Anyone else have this experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
Dude, thanks so much for the detailed info on the tensioning hack. Here is my brief report I sent a friend experiencing similar issues with his kickr on giving it a try and having what seems like some nice initial success:

On my off day, I took off the little plastic cover (couple of screws on each side) to reveal the belt and make it easy to see the two screws involved in retensioning the belt. The larger screw on the side loosens to allow you to make an adjustment to the screw in back (retightening after each adjustment). Clockwise makes the kickr harder (raises watts compared to quarq) counter-clockwise makes it easier. You set it easy first, do a spindown and then never spindown again. You then adjust till it matches. I confirmed on Monday that adjusting things indeed changed the way the kickr read, but didn't try to dial it in (I was just holding 150 watts to test).

Last night I setup a longer ride (picked quasi-randomly from TR for ~90 minutes Z2), with TR showing my quarq wattage. The first long interval the kickr was 10ish watts low (previously was more like 25 watts), so during the short rest, I got off, adjusted the tension by 1/2 turn and got back on (~30 seconds). The next long interval read ~4 watts low, so same story at the end of the interval adjusted another 1/4 turn. The next interval read 1 watt low (!!), so I adjusted another smidge and the last interval the power seemed to line up perfectly. So at this point I'm cautiously optimistic and very happy to at least have some ability to adjust things if/when they get out of whack. The next test will be to see if the settings stay stable across multiple days of workouts.

Here was what the TR ride looked like. You can see the yellow line (the quarq reading) getting closer to the green (kickr target wattage) in each interval.

http://www.trainerroad.com/...es/1521716-Holt-Hill

Looks like good results. But then I guess your friend didn't have any drift in his kickr unit? That's my biggest concern, and I can't see this helps anything at all correcting the drift..
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [larssr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't seem to get drift in my kickr. Mine just seems to be offset by a fairly fixed amount and doesn't seem to change over the course of my rides. I could see why the drift problem is a bit more problematic and why an active feedback loop like connecting to a PM would help. I would consider doing that myself, but I don't have any iOS devices in my stable to try it out the beta with and frankly am not that excited about test driving beta SW. Also, if I can just get them to match as is, that would be much nicer.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [larssr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an SRM - Loaded new beta software. Linked SRM to BT Kicker. Started up Wahooligan. No green dot on first try but I did get a green light on 2nd try.
Going for a TR workout. Hope it works
Since Wahoo now knows these betas are out there and everybody is spending a huge amount of time trying to get them to work, why can't Wahoo post some instructions on how to properly set this up and answer the questions like do you need wahooligan app open, how do you set up TR, what kind of averaging does wahoo do, etc., etc
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have also updated firmware and now I have the green dot with my SRM in Wahooligan app.

However, I am wondering how data could be accurate if we never enter SRM offset value in wahooligan app ...

Indeed, either with pc control or garmin unit, you have to calibrate and set the offset value before each ride ...
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [bixente] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bixente wrote:
I have also updated firmware and now I have the green dot with my SRM in Wahooligan app.

However, I am wondering how data could be accurate if we never enter SRM offset value in wahooligan app ...

Indeed, either with pc control or garmin unit, you have to calibrate and set the offset value before each ride ...
It'd need both the slope and the zero offset.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [bixente] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI - PerfPro now have Kickr beta firmware and works perfect with my Kickr/Vector pedals. No need for an iDevice after firmware is installed on Kickr
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [gormleyflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did a test workout with my SRM, Kickr and TR. It did not work.
I had a green dot in Wahooligan, started up TR and rode a 1.5 workout in ERG at 210 watts.
As always, the Kickr started out about 8 watts low in the first 30 minutes, drifted up to about even for next 30 minutes, and then was higher by about 8 watts for the last 30 minutes. The SRM was definitely not controlling the Kickr…… :((
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Power2Max and was using the 1.3.23 beta. I ran the Wahooligan app which prompted me to upgrade to to version 1.2.2. I looked at the notes it said misc bugs + ant control. I thought... awesome, they released the final version. I updated, no more green light... The settings were there, I restarted the app, BT on/off, Kickr unplugged and nothing... I installed the .24 beta which added SRM control, everything is fine again...
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does it get the slope? How does a Garmin head unit get the slope? Is that something that SRM just publishes and all manufacturers pre-program or is it transmitted?

Presumably the need to zero the PM and 'obtain a slope'(?) would be inherent in using any power meter to control the Kickr?

Am more comfortable than ever at waiting for this to be released.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a brief test with my SRM tonight. The Kickr - SRM numbers seemed further apart than before. I disabled this in Wahooligan after about 5 minutes and got on with training.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [iSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iSam wrote:
How does it get the slope? How does a Garmin head unit get the slope? Is that something that SRM just publishes and all manufacturers pre-program or is it transmitted?
RTFM usually works well.

Either:
1. the Garmin (or SRM Powercontrol) can be set to auto enquire and use the slope value stored in the power meter, or
2. you can (and should) manually set the slope in your Garmin or Powercontrol, especially if the value stored in your SRM is not the actual slope of the power meter.

If you haven't validated your power meter's slope calibration then I suggest you do.

iSam wrote:
Presumably the need to zero the PM and 'obtain a slope'(?) would be inherent in using any power meter to control the Kickr?
Presumably, but I don't like to presume, rather I prefer to know what actually happens.

We should expect any device displaying power data from an SRM to enable the user to adjust the slope setting used to convert the data transmitted from the power meter into accurate power numbers to be displayed/recorded, and in the case of this application, augment the resistance controller.

If the application is using the wrong slope, well all you have done is introduce an inaccuracy feedback loop.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [PSJoyce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the last version .24 is broken. I upgraded yesterday and did a workout this morning... started with a 5W discrepancy, by the time I was done it was closer to 16W... The light is green but I don't think the Power2Max is controlling the kickr anymore.

I want my .23 firmware back please :) it used to work fine and I was within 1-2W from the P2M.
Last edited by: sp1ke: Jan 22, 15 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the note about the firmware update. I saw the note for the app and the Kickr updates as I was setting up to train last night and was too skittish to mess up the current versions. Glad I didn't update.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
It looks like the last version .24 is broken. I upgraded yesterday and did a workout this morning... started with a 5W discrepancy, by the time I was done it was closer to 16W... The light is green but I don't think the Power2Max is controlling the kickr anymore.

I want my .23 firmware back please :) it used to work fine and I was within 1-2W from the P2M.

I did a workout this evening, and got the same issues. It startet lower, but when I was around 190 watt it alligned perfectly, before it was 10-12 watt too low again at 250 watt. After 1,5 hour I was down again, and from 200 watt and the rest of the cooldown it was correct again.

I know I have very low battery on my Vectors, and today it dropped a lot, and I hope that caused todays negative numbers. Going to change them now and hope it's back again on tomorrows harder workout..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This just all sucks and is a waste of time. Does anyone know how to reinstall the original/current wahoo software (not the beta's). What is the current software version (not beta)?
Thx
p.s. did another workout with the .24 firmware today. TR was 10 - 15 watts less the entire workout than my SRM…...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Companies do call SW alpha or beta for a reason. They are to play with, never to be used in "production".

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The stable version 1.1.2.2 (listed as Current: YES) is available in the same place and installed in the same way as the beta versions.

Just did 90 minutes on TR -- the Kickr and my SRM were very close using 1.1.3.24 with the new features turned off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PSJoyce wrote:
The stable version 1.1.2.2 (listed as Current: YES) is available in the same place and installed in the same way as the beta versions.

Just did 90 minutes on TR -- the Kickr and my SRM were very close using 1.1.3.24 with the new features turned off.

To get anywhere near matching I've raised my FTP in TrainerRoad and during the ride today had to bump it up to 125%. Then the load was getting into the appropriate ranges. VERY ready for the release of the real update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought an SRM and played with it tonight in comparison to the KICKR.

The KICKR was just calibrated tonight as well... using the calibration tool they sold for a short time. The SRM zero offest was set right before the ride too.

I did an easy ERG mode workout on Trainerroad...

Results: Ave Power KICKR: 165 Ave Power SRM: 141

AVE HR and Cadence... exactly the same on both PC7 and Trainerroad 119/ 91

As I looked at instantaneous power I saw discrepancies any where from 15-30 watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do the belt retensioning described earlier, it is a workable fudge.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [SpeedyChix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedyChix wrote:
PSJoyce wrote:

To get anywhere near matching I've raised my FTP in TrainerRoad and during the ride today had to bump it up to 125%. Then the load was getting into the appropriate ranges. VERY ready for the release of the real update.

My P2M was always this way too. I had to have my FTP in TR bumped way up to get it to match. And now they pulled the Beta app etc. so stuck until they release a production version.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbrnut wrote:
SpeedyChix wrote:
PSJoyce wrote:

My P2M was always this way too. I had to have my FTP in TR bumped way up to get it to match. And now they pulled the Beta app etc. so stuck until they release a production version.

Just had a great workout with 3x20 min intervals on the new beta (24), and it worked great. Much better today than yesterday. Actually it was much better today compared to my last 3x10 min threshold on tuesday, when it was to low.
Quote Reply

Prev Next