Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
BrianB wrote:
H2oFool: you didn't get the memo. no one cares about you and your CT

You should care. Why on earth would you buy a Kickr if you essentially need to use another PM to get proper load. CT comment aside, these are the very reasons to go with tried and true solutions.

This is false, you don't need another power meter. I bought a KICKR it was well within spec, I have since recommended the KICKR to 5 other people and train 4 of those people. Their KICKRS are all within spec, they took no time to setup and every single one of them think the KICKR is the cats ass. Now, they don't know what a Computrainer is so to be fair this isn't saying the KICKR is better than a CompuTrainer. Just that I strongly believe the majority of users don't have any issues with a KICKR and that it is reliable and is within spec in most cases. I've spent 170 hours on my KICKR in the last year, while pale in comparison to the years the CT has been around mine's been rock solid and showing no signs of wear.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ieknox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ieknox wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
BrianB wrote:
H2oFool: you didn't get the memo. no one cares about you and your CT

You should care. Why on earth would you buy a Kickr if you essentially need to use another PM to get proper load. CT comment aside, these are the very reasons to go with tried and true solutions.

But these threads make it seem like every KICKR ever produced has this problem when the reality is it's the very vocal minority.

This is the part I think gets missed. This will be my first post about the KICKR, although I picked one up several months ago. Why? Because I plugged it in, did a spindown, found the accuracy was very close to my PM, haven't experienced any drift, and haven't looked back.

I've had the KICKR since it was first released and mine has also tracked well with a Quarq PM. It was off a little bit initially but that's because I had never down a spindown calibration but once I figured that out it has been fine... within 1-3% of the PM at any given moment.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Jan 14, 15 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I submitted a support\comment ticket to the wahooligan app - I'm perfectly fine with the kickr the way it is but if they could get the beta functionality working with SRM that would be great. Not sure if sciguy or any developers know of this thread but +1 for asking if anyone has gotten this particular function working with an SRM.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone been successful in getting this to work with a Stages PM and no Ant + dongel for the iad or Iphone?

I did not add the Stages as a new PM to the Wahooligan app, but typed in the Ant + ID, and the connection keeps spinning....when trying to move forward with the steps i am getting the red dot since the two are not synched.

Do I need an ANt +dongle to make this connection successful?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why buy a CT and then race without power? Most people who own a CT or a Kickr will eventually buy a Power Meter because not everyone is a sociopath who only rides indoors (like me).
When you do buy a PM you will want them to match 1:1. I doubt that a CT will match numbers 1:1 with any power meter but it looks like the Kickr + PM solution does exactly that which is a plus for me.... Anyway, a CT will run you $1700 new which is pretty much what a Kickr + entry level PM will cost you.

On another note, does anyone see the need to do spindowns anymore when using a PM to drive the Kickr?

h2ofun wrote:
Kickr sounds great, Just buy it as a non power trainer and then have to buy power meters for the bike. Sure makes it a lot more expensive to have a trainer that works correctly with power than just buying
the old dependable CT from the start.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [mcollins0605] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcollins0605 wrote:
Has anyone been successful in getting this to work with a Stages PM and no Ant + dongel for the iad or Iphone?

I did not add the Stages as a new PM to the Wahooligan app, but typed in the Ant + ID, and the connection keeps spinning....when trying to move forward with the steps i am getting the red dot since the two are not synched.

Do I need an ANt +dongle to make this connection successful?

you do not need the dongle for the IOS device, if you know the PM ID as you do. However, I don't know if the stages is supported or not. I know manually entering my Vector PM ID without the dongle worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if I was not able to switch over to using my Quarq for control I was still extremely happy using the Kickr. I have eMotion rollers that I really like, but still feel drawn to using the Kickr. Even with the difference (no significant drift experienced) between the Kickr and my power meters it still provided me with good training. The only difference IMO with using my Quarq as the controller is that my data will be the same and I no longer need to use a FTP offset in TrainerRoad to line up for setting my interval targets. Now when InsideRide adds the option for wireless controller for eMotion rollers that will give ERG mode it could be a tough choice on which I use daily.

I got my butt kicked on the Kickr under its control and I got my butt kicked last night with the Quarq in control. Either way I finished feeling like something got done. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Why buy a CT and then race without power? Most people who own a CT or a Kickr will eventually buy a Power Meter because not everyone is a sociopath who only rides indoors (like me).
When you do buy a PM you will want them to match 1:1. I doubt that a CT will match numbers 1:1 with any power meter but it looks like the Kickr + PM solution does exactly that which is a plus for me.... Anyway, a CT will run you $1700 new which is pretty much what a Kickr + entry level PM will cost you.

On another note, does anyone see the need to do spindowns anymore when using a PM to drive the Kickr?

h2ofun wrote:
Kickr sounds great, Just buy it as a non power trainer and then have to buy power meters for the bike. Sure makes it a lot more expensive to have a trainer that works correctly with power than just buying

I rarely do a spin down, after 20 minutes at 300 watts my KICKR as always been about 13 watts lower than my vectors. I think the last spindown I did was 6 months ago and I started my training a couple weeks ago and it is the same. But now that I have my Vectors controlling the KICKR I don't think twice about a spin down. So no, I don't do a spindown. Now, if I were to move my trainer (it has been in the same spot for the last 6 months) I would do a spindown.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:

I wouldn't think it would be necessary now, but I am not an authority on the subject.
Did my setup last night and just zero the offset of the Quarq once the Garmin picked up the sensor and got going in the workout without extra equipment warmup. However, my trainer bike with the Quarq stays in the same room so there is barely a temperature difference day to day.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Jan 14, 15 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Even if I was not able to switch over to using my Quarq for control I was still extremely happy using the Kickr. I have eMotion rollers that I really like, but still feel drawn to using the Kickr. Even with the difference (no significant drift experienced) between the Kickr and my power meters it still provided me with good training. The only difference IMO with using my Quarq as the controller is that my data will be the same and I no longer need to use a FTP offset in TrainerRoad to line up for setting my interval targets. Now when InsideRide adds the option for wireless controller for eMotion rollers that will give ERG mode it could be a tough choice on which I use daily.

I got my butt kicked on the Kickr under its control and I got my butt kicked last night with the Quarq in control. Either way I finished feeling like something got done. :-)

+1 on the no longer needing an offset on the FTP!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:

h2ofun wrote:

I do all my structured training indoors (I don't use a CT but that isn't relevant to the why). It's impossible where I live to find a place to do uninterrupted intervals of any sort outdoors. Let alone to be able to look down and make sure I'm keeping it at the proper wattage. For that very reason, I don't use a PM outdoors anymore and didn't bother to get one for my new bike.

At the end of the day, it's not about matching 1:1 with anything (as someone else said if you have 6 PMs you will have 6 FTPs), it's about consistency. I just need to know that if I test on a particular device and do my workouts based on the results of that test that it's not fluctuating in it's readings or settings.

Now perhaps this thread represented an issue for only a handful of people and the majority of users aren't experiencing these issues, but we really don't have any statistics. Unless you ride with a PM on your trainer, you really wouldn't know.

With that said, the very first post in this thread implied that Kickr's measurement often seems to drift. That didn't sound very good to me.

Quote:
My apology if I missed any earlier post but thought the Kickr crew might really appreciate this information regarding regulating their Kickr via their separate power meter output rather then the Kickr's measurement that often seems to drift.

Last edited by: mcmetal: Jan 14, 15 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anyway to get this working with the newest Kickr firmware? I can't see anyway to downgrade and desperately want this to work. Have tried everything but can't get the green light

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [jmuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank jmuise for replying.

Odd did absolutely nothing different tonight but was successful in getting the green dot. Confirmed no ant + dongle needed for Stages PM folks.

I then hooked up my Garmin 500 and the power is almost 1:1. I bet if I changed my garmin display to 3s and not ever it would be even closer. There appears to be a slight lag on the iPhone, but overall the numbers are much much better.

Before kickr was 30-50w high.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
J_R wrote:

Amazing to me so many beat up on the CT just because it works but does not have lots of non value fluff stuff, but the Kickr which does not seem to be able to do the basic power correctly, gets a pass.
Par for the course.

No need for 2 periods.

Where are you getting this idea that people are trashing the CT. Another option on the market doesn't mean people are pissed with CT. I think the market needs another viable option, CT is very complacent with software and interface options.

And, many people with a CT also own a power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [mopshiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopshiv wrote:
Is there anyway to get this working with the newest Kickr firmware? I can't see anyway to downgrade and desperately want this to work. Have tried everything but can't get the green light

You need v1.1.3.23, not the latest version. You should be able to downgrade using the Wahoo Utility app (I had to do this after mistakenly thinking I should take the latest v1.1.3.8 - this is what in the software world is called a "regression"). You should probably then set up the Wahooligan app from scratch again. Maybe even delete it and reinstall.

It does work with Trainerroad, btw - I've done two TR sessions with this, and it is like night and day. I was one of the unlucky ones whose Kickr read 30-40W too high, and that was on my second one (first had the same problem so I exchanged it). I also have the calibration kit, which I can now happily return to Wahoo. You do have to be careful with the interplay between the Wahooligan app and TR - basically, start the Wahooligan app to establish the setting that the PM controls the Kickr, make sure it's in Erg mode on the app, and then start TR. It works like a charm.

I'm glad I got the beta to work; I had pretty much given up on the Kickr ever being remotely close to my PM, and for me that was a big enough deal that I would have just returned it.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, finally figured it out. For some reason my iPad mini wouldn't bring up the secret swipe, tried on the iPhone 5 and was able to install 1.1.3.23. Turned it all off and on again loaded up the iPad and got the green dot straight away.

After a quick and dirty test seems to be tracking within a watt or so of the vectors! Very very happy right now. Hopefully this is the first stage in being able to calibrate the Kickr to control resistance properly without a separate power input...

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Krispy2014 [ In reply to ]
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
You do have to be careful with the interplay between the Wahooligan app and TR - basically, start the Wahooligan app to establish the setting that the PM controls the Kickr, make sure it's in Erg mode on the app, and then start TR. It works like a charm.

Ian--Would you mind clarifying this? I got the beta all set up today (green dot!) and am planning on doing a TR workout tomorrow. Do you mean put TR or the Wahoo app in Erg mode? (And you can only put the Wahoo app in Erg mode once you've starting using it to drive the workout, right?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
It does work with Trainerroad, btw - I've done two TR sessions with this, and it is like night and day. I was one of the unlucky ones whose Kickr read 30-40W too high, and that was on my second one (first had the same problem so I exchanged it). I also have the calibration kit, which I can now happily return to Wahoo. You do have to be careful with the interplay between the Wahooligan app and TR - basically, start the Wahooligan app to establish the setting that the PM controls the Kickr, make sure it's in Erg mode on the app, and then start TR. It works like a charm.

Has anybody got it work with TR on a laptop or PC?
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cmeeks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmeeks wrote:

Yes
I've only used it on a PC laptop so far with just two TR workouts. First night worked perfectly. Last night it started strange in the initial warm up as if it was not working. Before the warm up was finished the power meter started controlling the ERG. By the time it was into the training intervals it worked perfectly all the way through. I am going to play it careful for the next couple of weeks and use my Garmin Edge to also record the training just in case. I want to remember that this is still a Beta solution.
I want to get a better understanding to what is required for this to work properly.

With only two sessions my practice to setup has been
1. Wake up the Quarq and cadence sensor
2. Zero the Quarq offset on the Garmin Edge
3. Open the Wahooligan App
4. Start a workout to see if the signal is green
5. Start up TrainerRoad on the laptop
6. Stop and discard the Wahooligan workout because it is running in order to see if it is green, but leave the app open
7. Start the TrainerRoad workout
8. Compare the Garmin display to the TR display especially when it jumps in intensity to see if they are tracking together
9. Continue and finish the workout

The part I am not clear is if the Wahooligan app can be completely closed once initialized and so far I have not checked to see if the Wahooligan app was in ERG mode by default. However, it has been working without me checking.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Jan 15, 15 5:02
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
cmeeks wrote:

Yes
I've only used it on a PC laptop so far with just two TR workouts. First night worked perfectly. Last night it started strange in the initial warm up as if it was not working. Before the warm up was finished the power meter started controlling the ERG. By the time it was into the training intervals it worked perfectly all the way through. I am going to play it careful for the next couple of weeks and use my Garmin Edge to also record the training just in case. I want to remember that this is still a Beta solution.

+1

Also, I only import ride data into Golden Cheetah from my Edge 510, never from Trainer road. (Can't bring TR outside) so you miswell export all of your data from the same device to ensure consistency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is your PC/Laptop using Ant+ usb or BT ? - thanks.........i want to try in Perf Pro

Felt_Rider wrote:
cmeeks wrote:

Yes
I want to get a better understanding to what is required for this to work properly.

With only two sessions my practice to setup has been
1. Wake up the Quarq and cadence sensor
2. Zero the Quarq offset on the Garmin Edge
3. Open the Wahooligan App
4. Start a workout to see if the signal is green
5. Start up TrainerRoad on the laptop
6. Stop and discard the Wahooligan workout because it is running in order to see if it is green, but leave the app open
7. Start the TrainerRoad workout
8. Compare the Garmin display to the TR display especially when it jumps in intensity to see if they are tracking together
9. Continue and finish the workout

The part I am not clear is if the Wahooligan app can be completely closed once initialized and so far I have not checked to see if the Wahooligan app was in ERG mode by default. However, it has been working without me checking.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [gormleyflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gormleyflyer wrote:
is your PC/Laptop using Ant+ usb or BT ? - thanks.........i want to try in Perf Pro

Oops.....forgot to add that it is with an Ant+ usb adapter.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
sneeuwaap wrote:
You do have to be careful with the interplay between the Wahooligan app and TR - basically, start the Wahooligan app to establish the setting that the PM controls the Kickr, make sure it's in Erg mode on the app, and then start TR. It works like a charm.

Ian--Would you mind clarifying this? I got the beta all set up today (green dot!) and am planning on doing a TR workout tomorrow. Do you mean put TR or the Wahoo app in Erg mode? (And you can only put the Wahoo app in Erg mode once you've starting using it to drive the workout, right?)

I run both the app and TR in erg mode. I've killed the app midway thru an interval on TR, and that sometimes results in the Quarq power being lower than the target power; once the next interval starts, though, it seems that TR takes back control, and then everything is fine. I guess it wouldn't hurt to just leave the Wahoo app running.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cmeeks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmeeks wrote:
sneeuwaap wrote:

Yes, I run the Wahoo app on my iPad and TR on an iMac that has an ANT+ USB dongle.

Ian
Quote Reply

Prev Next