Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may not impact the production costs, but it could potentially lower the (included) support costs with all of the complaints about power readings being askew.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
geetee wrote:
I use an indoor-only beater bike without a powermeter on my Kickr. Do I correctly understand that in order for this fix to work, I need to install and constantly use a separate powermeter on my bike to drive the Kickr?

The fact that this fix exists is awesome, and I'm sincerely not trying to criticize, but isn't it further masking the underlying issue rather than fixing it?

Good point but it's likely the folks most irritated by the Kickr's load regulating "idiosyncrasies" are those that already have a power meter on their bike and it's the difference between what that reads and the Kickr reads that drives them bonkers. Since the Kickr has temperature sensing capability I bet they will eventually get a handle on more effective real time load sensing.

That's my hope. I didn't think this was an either/or thing, but I haven't heard anything regarding parallel development on fixing the load-sensing issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting to make everyone aware of this update. I've been waiting for this firmware update for quite some time now. Can't wait to see how it works, but since it sounds like it is basically in beta stage right now I may hold off so as to not impact my early season training.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
So does anyone have any useful information as to whether this fix works or not?
Also, if it works for the Wahoo app, does it also work with Trainer Road?
Thx

Yes. Works.

We have 2 kickrs. The first one works great. Power matches quarq almost perfectly. Minimal drift.

The second was a trainwreck. power read 10-20% high, but not predictable enough to correct by changing FTP or %intensity. Tried several fixes that didn't help. Was planning on returning until I heard about this possibility. When I saw this thread, I set it up last night.

Worked great. Set up was easy (although, as already mentioned, the firmware is x.x.23 not .22). Green dot. Controlled perfectly from the wahoo fitness app, the beta wahooligan app. Did a trainer road workout and there seems to be a difference in how trainer road smooths power and how the quarq/kickr combo smooths power. They were always just a bit different. At the end of the workout, average power was identical (quarq/garmin vs quarq/kickr/iphone/trainerroad) but NP was 4 watts higher on the quarq/garmin.

Overall, much improved. Going to do a workout with shorter intervals tonight, so we'll see how much the smoothing difference messes with things.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gave this a go tonight.

First off, big thanks to Wahoo for enabling a speed only ANT+ data stream, I've been hoping for this since getting my Kickr and am very grateful for its addition.

Had a play with the Kickr/PM control. I see most of you folks are using a Quark (seem very popular in the States). I'm using a Stages PM, worked pretty well, certainly much closer than it ever has been before. Still a bit of a gap but I wonder if this is more or a function of smoothing being required to settle down the jumpy power output from the Stages. The gap between the two values seemed constant across a wattage range rather than increasing as power increased.

Will try and get hold of a set of Vectors for comparison, defiantly heading in the right direction though.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Jon208] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Kickr is already on the newest firmware which doesn't seem to work for this. Is there any way to download the older version?

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [mopshiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uhhgggg, I have tried everything, twice. Both on an iPhone and iPad. I can not get a green dot. I have a SRM PM so maybe that is the difference.
Any suggestions, please let me know.
Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a comment on wattage that it wasn't working for SRM yet, but only that one comment so I don't know for sure.

I got mine going with Quarq controlling the Kickr in TrainerRoad ERG. It ran really smooth from the Quarq and post ride quick look at the data looks good. I will take a closer look later at the data recorded on TR and the Garmin Edge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just can't get a green dot with my SRM, either.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [PSJoyce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am excited for this to work - I wanted to add my name to the list of not working SRM's. Red dot that is.

The ID I use is what my pc7\garmin 810 head unit picks up.

Question however: Do I need an ant+ dongle on my iPhone for the SRM? Or will the trainer with the proper ID pickup my SRM ....
Last edited by: trisport4all: Jan 13, 15 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [trisport4all] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trisport4all - The SRM ID is the ID that your garmin picks up. It is also on the backside of the SRM.
It was my understanding that you don't need a dongle. You simply input your SRM ID in the Wahooligan App when you setup your Kickr BT sensor.
But what do I know…I still get a red dot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok - just wanted to make sure I did it correctly - I'm hopefully this is pretty much all a software update away though - this will make my kickr everything I could ask for if I get this working :)
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also posted on my blog this morning. Seems to work well and I am a very happy Kickr user. I was before, but after checking the Quarq's recorded data from the Garmin Edge and from TrainerRoad it is good enough for me. Now I can set my FTP inside TrainerRoad correctly and use the data from TrainerRoad to upload to WKO+, Strava and other places instead of having two data sources.

http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/...ower-meter-beta.html
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Commented early on in this thread but the more rides I do with this set-up, the more satisfied I am with the Kickr. This works and solves the drift and variance between my Vectors and the Kickr during TR workouts. That being said, I did have a hiccup today where the Kickr and Vectors were NOT on the same page, or in the same universe for that matter, for part of the 3rd and 4th intervals in the Rogers TR workout. Things straightened themselves out half way through the third and never quite did during the fourth. This seems to be a somewhat undercover beta by Wahoo and I can appreciate their efforts. A hiccup here and there is ok as long as it leads to a solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cmeeks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmeeks wrote:
geetee wrote:
The fact that this fix exists is awesome, and I'm sincerely not trying to criticize, but isn't it further masking the underlying issue rather than fixing it?

BINGO!!! I don't understand why they didn't implement some sort of temperature compensation first. I will concede that it is a great fix for those of us with a power meter and perhaps it's just a temporary solution while they work on something more permanent.

As someone who owns a CT but has considered a Kickr, I'd sure like to know that this issue has been fixed at the heart of the problem. I see several advantages of the Kickr, but they all are moot if power isn't isn't stable. Inter-meter differences are fine, but significant drift is unacceptable.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
cmeeks wrote:
geetee wrote:

BINGO!!! I don't understand why they didn't implement some sort of temperature compensation first. I will concede that it is a great fix for those of us with a power meter and perhaps it's just a temporary solution while they work on something more permanent.

As someone who owns a CT but has considered a Kickr, I'd sure like to know that this issue has been fixed at the heart of the problem. I see several advantages of the Kickr, but they all are moot if power isn't isn't stable. Inter-meter differences are fine, but significant drift is unacceptable.

Kickr sounds great, Just buy it as a non power trainer and then have to buy power meters for the bike. Sure makes it a lot more expensive to have a trainer that works correctly with power than just buying
the old dependable CT from the start.

Amazing to me so many beat up on the CT just because it works but does not have lots of non value fluff stuff, but the Kickr which does not seem to be able to do the basic power correctly, gets a pass.
Par for the course.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I do like two features though (which matter not if power control is not stable) : wireless control and direct drive. I am disappointed that Racermate doesn't address the former. If someone really wants spin scan, they can stay fully wired. I think they'd find that to not be the majority.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H2oFool: you didn't get the memo. no one cares about you and your CT
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Agree. I do like two features though (which matter not if power control is not stable) : wireless control and direct drive. I am disappointed that Racermate doesn't address the former. If someone really wants spin scan, they can stay fully wired. I think they'd find that to not be the majority.

I would just say, why assume things are not going to change. :)

Direct drive, pro and cons. I would not want the hassle of taking my wheel off, but this clearly is a personal preference for folks.

Wireless, personally, I never use it in anything if I can avoid. Just not as reliable as a wired setup.

But, clearly, if folks want, folks should be able to buy. Will CT have wireless in the future from someone? I see no reason why not.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Set all this up last night with my Vectors, took about 5 minutes and works flawlessly.

My KICKR was about 13 watts lower than my Vectors and now they are pretty spot on, I initially thought they would report the exact same numbers but they are always within a few watts of each other (That being my Edge 510 and TrainerRoad). Looking at the ride files side by side they look identical.

I was very satisfied with my KICKR before, but with this new feature... I'm blown away.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:

You should care. Why on earth would you buy a Kickr if you essentially need to use another PM to get proper load. CT comment aside, these are the very reasons to go with tried and true solutions.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
BrianB wrote:

You should care. Why on earth would you buy a Kickr if you essentially need to use another PM to get proper load. CT comment aside, these are the very reasons to go with tried and true solutions.

But these threads make it seem like every KICKR ever produced has this problem when the reality is it's the very vocal minority.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
BrianB wrote:

But these threads make it seem like every KICKR ever produced has this problem when the reality is it's the very vocal minority.

This is the part I think gets missed. This will be my first post about the KICKR, although I picked one up several months ago. Why? Because I plugged it in, did a spindown, found the accuracy was very close to my PM, haven't experienced any drift, and haven't looked back.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone getting this to work with a SRM?
Quote Reply

Prev Next