Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Velobuild build
Quote | Reply
Hi
I recently received my VB-TT-001 and have been having a few problems setting up the fork and headset,
does anybody have experience of building this or the similar bike FM086.

http://www.velobuildmall.com/...et-includes-tt-bars/

I received the headset which contained: Headset: top 1-1/8" - down 1-1/2", plus a few other bits but these look like they are for a normal road bike.

At present the bike is unridable due to movement in the fork, I've looked online but no luck and Velobuild have no interest in offering instructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Velobuild build [chealy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably just need to set it up and adjust it properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Velobuild build [OlTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an FM086. The headset came installed, with the fork in frame out of the box. The only funky thing to me is the set of 4 bolts hidden by the stem set the preload for the headset. You also have the single bolt that attaches the stem to the fork which also applies load to the headset. Overconstrained design technically.

These bikes are an incredible value IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chealy74 wrote:
At present the bike is unridable due to movement in the fork, I've looked online but no luck and Velobuild have no interest in offering instructions.
An image of the headtube/fork in its current condition might help forum members offer suggestions to help resolve the issue.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had some issues in the beginning but everything turned out ok in the end.
The trick is to cut the fork to exact length in order to install the top part of the stem.
Also, all parts of the headset are used (only the top cap isn't).

Please have a look at the image below, you also have to put the seal on the fork (it seems odd but it's true). The top part of the stem serves as the top cap so that's the only part you don't need. Good luck, it's a great bike!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you lock the front brake and rock the bike back and forth is there movement in the headset? (Top cap is tight but headset is still loose.) If so, then the headset does not have proper tension. Was the steerer tube cut when you received it? I built one before that came with a pre-cut steerer tube and I still needed to take off 1/8". By the time I added the fork plug, the top cap was bottoming out on the steerer tube and preventing it from compressing the headset. I also am assuming that the fork plug was tightened properly and it hasn't pulled up out of the steerer tube during build. If the headset seems bound against the frame/stem/handlebar then it may need a couple thin spacers added to the top, just under the top cap. I hope some of this is helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for replying
The parts that came with the bike are not like the ones listed.
Included:
Split ring and bottom bearing
Split ring and top bearing
Then I have expander\ star nut for carbon forks
Then top cap and seal

As stem seals the fork and clamps it together with the expander\ star nut you cannot use the end cap, the seal still goes in to lock the fork?

I've changed bearings before on a Giant Trance with no problem, but this!! the stem itself locks down the bearing and seal as in the pictures
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the seal goes in to lock the fork (there's a cavity so you need something to push it down), then the stem goes on top, holding the seal and the fork in place. The top part of the stem serves as a top cap and the top bolt goes through this stem part, right into the expander. After this, everything should be stable. I don't have the bike with me now but I could take a picture one of the coming weeks if you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Velobuild build [datomakin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I wanted to change the stem to say an adjustable one, is there something you can buy to extend the fork tube.
I can buy another one but Velobuild are basically ignoring all my emails at this stage, awful company to deal with if something goes wrong.

There is nothing ling a quil stem you could insert inside the fork extending it's length?

Thanks in advance for your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not change the stem simply because it will look very strange and also, you won't be able to use the fork properly because of the fairing interfering with a normal stem. Also, the fork pipe would probably be too short as you state.
You just need to get aerobars that are adjustable in stack. I use the PRO missile EVO's but you have plenty of other options from Profile Design to Tririg to Zipp etc.

Here is my set-up:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did it ever work out for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Velobuild build [datomakin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks datomakin for responding to chealy74.

I have the same problem he had. I wish I knew what his final outcome was. Your bike looks very good by the way. My z TT 001 looks a little different than yours but what you said about not using the supplied headset cap since the stem will be used as integrated cap made sense. I even cut the fork down to a 5 mm gap . It feels like it holds it together great but there is still play when I apply front brake and rock the bike. It is not ridable at this point. I will try to send pictures of what i've done. Any other ideas in the meantime?
Thanks,
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am having your same problem with velobuild. Did you find a solution?
I appreciate your help
Mjoh090
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ir sounds like they sent you parts for an integrated headset but maybe your frame doesn't have one? Does your frame have built in cups for those bearing cartridges to sit in?
Quote Reply
Re: Velobuild build [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Sorry always meant to reply but could'nt upload the pics of the completed bike to my pc.
So have been riding it for at least 4 months, alot of training during the winter then a couple of sprints and one half ironman.
A huge amount of problems after I decided to try and use an adjustable stem, as I had already cut the fork I used a stem extender and the an
adjustable Ritchie stem.

Not as clean looking but as I have built up the training I can raise or drop the stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear your bike worked out and it looks great even with a different headset. Did you ever get rubbing on your fork and frame where they meet? When I finally get my headset tight it rubs between the fork and frame and wears down the carbon. I'm hoping it is just extra thick gloss buildup. But it makes it hard to ride.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Velobuild build [mjoh090] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://oi58.tinypic.com/16ii1w4.jpg
Sorry I can't figure this out but I guess you need to select the link to see my bike. I will add more pictures when I get it back to show where it is rubbing. Many will say my position is not right and that's OK because it's not right. I should raise the pads another three inches if I can figure it out. Hope it works out. Also as pictured this bike is 21lbs. Heavier than I dreamed it would be. I bought mine through velobuildmall. Chris was my guy but I can tell he has little experience with this bike. He tries to help but he is vague and doesn't know anything about this bike. He sent me some diagrams that were worthless. I aplod his efforts for pretending to know.
Last edited by: mjoh090: Jun 26, 15 19:00
Quote Reply
Re: Velobuild build [mjoh090] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first built mine there was a certain amount of rubbing around the back of the fork and frame.
I fully built the bike and tested it, any time I ran over small kerb or such there was creaking, took it to a bike shop and the guy said it scared the crap out of him.
That's when I decided I was'nt willing to risk it coming loose while I was racing, I'm happy enough with it now and my bike pace has been upped by around 3 to 5 kph
so can't complain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chealy74 wrote:
Hi,

Wow! That's my bike design! I created that, how did you get that on your bike?!

On topic: I've got the same issues with the head set (disturbing creaking sounds, movement, rubbing). When tightening the bolts and 'top cap' too strong, it hinders the steering. Leaving it with a bit of space it started to whobble in the headset... Quite hard to fix.
Last edited by: TJG_NL: Sep 28, 15 7:13
Quote Reply