Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Joel Filliol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many hours per week do your athletes work out? is there a range?

Also, how many times per day do your athletes train?

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
Did you know that women were granted the right to vote in Bahrain way back in.....wait for it....2002?
That said, take the money and run!

Men also were granted the right to vote in 2002, that's because parliament was set up in Bahrain in 2002 by the then new King Hamad, as he wanted Bahrain to become a Kingdom with a democratic government - just like the British system. Prior to that, no one voted as the Kingdom was ruled by the late Sheikh Isa - a much loved King by all.
Last edited by: The Customer: Dec 22, 14 22:16
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for replying, made my day :)
What are your gels of choice? I'm still trying to experiment with them, finding one that doesn't give me an upset stomach.

Also, how many treadmill sessions do you do per week?
Last edited by: shannonc: Dec 22, 14 16:27
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thread Helle and Joel. Have enjoyed following along.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [shannonc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are very welcome.

Gels is an interesting one. I've tried many, I only use gels when in racing. Currently I am using Etixx. It isn't such a thick gu like gel which I find helps the intake. I use both Isotonic Gel and a caffeine gel.

A point to note about the upset stomach, it may not solely be the gel that causes the issue. It could for sure trigger an upset stomach but there can be other contributing factors such as artificial intakes in an every day diet.

Treadmill running: my time spent on a TM varies. It depends what type of training block I am in, what environment is around me, how fatigued I am or how 'fresh' I need to be in the days ahead. Usually 1 x per week when in a heavy training block. This link explains why we use the treadmill - https://www.facebook.com/...hp?v=831112480262179

London 2012 Olympian : 6 x IRONMAN 70.3 Winner : 2014 Challenge Bahrain Champion : 2014 Hy-Vee 5150 Champion : Master of Human Nutrition - Twitter: @helle_f Facebook: /helletri Web: hellefrederiksen.com

Sponsors: Uplace-BMC Pro Triathlon - Nike - Sands Beach Active - NormaTec - Bragi - Hotbox Roasters
Last edited by: helle_f: Dec 23, 14 0:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of interest, I clicked on the link and have several questions:

1. How fast do you run 1K repeats for ITU racing versus Half IM and how many
  2. What percent grade
  3. Do you ever do hill work on the treadmill in a big training block for the cardio load while taking out the downhill pounding?
  4. In your ITU days did you ever to back and forth intensity bike to fast treadmill to get used to sub 3:30 per kilometer immediately out of T2 (or faster)
  5. In that video what shoes are you running in and what drop
  6. Do you ever use a fan for cooling on the treadmill to keep the intensity up (as one might on a trainer)

Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Joel Filliol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joel Filliol wrote:
marcag - the pic of David is just a profile picture - we don't actually do any lab testing or indeed performance testing of any type with our athletes.

By "performance testing of any type", does that include Coggan-style FTP tests? If so, do you instead extrapolate figures from races and hard workouts, or another method to determine zones and goals?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype - no performance tests of any type, no time trials, no lab tests, no field tests. The only performance testing that is relevant is racing performance. I don't worry too much about labelling zones - really they don't change that much over time, and when they do it's obvious from general sessions we are doing. Goals are simply the next step forward from where we are now. Can only move one step at a time.

J.

>>>>
JoelFilliol.com - check out the Real Coaching Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Joel, I've really enjoyed yours and Helle's feedback and appreciate your time. I have a couple quick questions.
1. A lot of athletes on this site talk about the importance of doing 4 to 6 reps of strides (about :20 each) at the end of every easy run. Is that something you recommend for athletes or is that a waste of energy?
2. I have noticed that there are a lot of athletes who have a big engine and a lot of power and can ride the wheels off most people, but when they get on the run they are well below the level of the competition (Tom Davison comes to mind). If they aren't over-biking would you think this is most likely due to training habits or something about their specific physiology that limits them?

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulkas - 1- yes I recommend strides regularly, for neuromuscular coordination. 2- The 'big bikers' are sometimes legitimately stronger than others, sometimes not. Those who believe they are stronger on the bike often ride harder relatively than others, so there is a psychology element in play. What limits big riders at the sharp end is a combination of how they train (putting more emphasis on riding in training, less on running), and physiology / economy (due to heavier weight, body type / shape, and biomechanics), and psychology.

J.

>>>>
JoelFilliol.com - check out the Real Coaching Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply!

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. It's not often I run 1km repeats actually, not now or then. I had maybe one or two specific "1km rep sessions" all year. I am fortunate enough that I can still access the same type of top end speed. But as a reference I am running to date 1 - 5 minute intervals where the 1 min pace could hover around 3'00" per km and the 5 min around 3'25" per km. These are often conducted numerous times within a longer session. However my treadmill is primarily longer steady workouts up to an hour. I try as much as I can to run the really top end stuff outdoors.
2. 1%
3. Yes. For the exact reasons you state.
4. No specifically on a treadmill. We did and still do some hard bike session with a brick that contains some fast get out pace (between 5 - 15 minutes). I did do swim to bike bricks quite often to tolerate and teach the mind to handle what was needed immediately exiting an ITU T1.
5. Nike Lunarfly, I believe it has a 9mm heel-to-toe drop but honestly it is not something I pay much attention to.
6. Yes I always try to have a fan close by.

London 2012 Olympian : 6 x IRONMAN 70.3 Winner : 2014 Challenge Bahrain Champion : 2014 Hy-Vee 5150 Champion : Master of Human Nutrition - Twitter: @helle_f Facebook: /helletri Web: hellefrederiksen.com

Sponsors: Uplace-BMC Pro Triathlon - Nike - Sands Beach Active - NormaTec - Bragi - Hotbox Roasters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. I have really enjoyed being a part of it. For now I will log off and enjoy the rest of the Christmas festivities at home with my family. I leave my family again on the 26th for many months away from Denmark as I chase the wants of my 2015 year.

Have a fantastic Christmas. Enjoy the celebrations. I'll check back when settled back on Sands Beach Resort, Lanzarote should there be further interaction

Always feel that you can interact and ask your questions via my social platforms.

Make 2015 an awesome one.

H

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joel Filliol wrote:
tessartype - no performance tests of any type, no time trials, no lab tests, no field tests. The only performance testing that is relevant is racing performance. I don't worry too much about labelling zones - really they don't change that much over time, and when they do it's obvious from general sessions we are doing. Goals are simply the next step forward from where we are now. Can only move one step at a time.

J.

^^^this. 100% perfect. I do have a Powertap admittedly, but it really is used for shits and giggles mapping out local climbs and doing W/kg math in my head to give me the "psychological" I am fit mentality. Never do I do a workout to power. I just ride. I do not run with a HR monitor anymore. 3 paces: base, tempo, hard. I've done ok as an aging AG hack who loves wine and cookies with this program. #DOTHEWORK

Joel your mentality above is so true. Do the work. Do it again. Repeat.

THIS HAS BEEN A GREAT THREAD. thanks for the contributions.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just put up a nearly hour-long interview with Helle, Joel, and Ben Powell that covers lots of this thread at ZenTriathlon.com Tone of voice adds even more depth to what's been said. Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this has been posted yet so here's a great summary from Joel: http://joelfilliol.com/...ning-and-performance
Quote Reply

Prev Next