Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro issue
Quote | Reply
So I've had my CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro for 2 years now. I've gotten, maybe, 50-70 hours of riding time on it as I also have rollers that I use quite often.

This year I noticed this on the surface of the resistance roller https://www.youtube.com/...uU1bLLVcQdneD2OYubpQ

That strip in the middle is very rough and isn't treating my tires nicely.

I called up CycleOps and they told me, since I haven't used a trainer specific tire It's not covered under their lifetime warranty and the only solution would be to purchase a new resistance unit for $199 msrp. The representative said they would give it to me for 150$........

Does anyone have any input? Does this happen normally on the roller surface?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro issue [Eshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you off center the tire so that it sits on a fresh spot? Some trainers have screw type skewer holders. You can open one and close the other to slide your contact point over a couple cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Fluid 2 and have a similar wear pattern on mine, I've used the same tire for 4 winters, it's an old road tire and now completely slick. I'm on my second resistance unit, the first one began to leak oil. this second unit is entering it's third winter and I haven't noticed any additional wear on the tire, just figured I'll ride it until it blows.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro issue [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I can't off-center it :(
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro issue [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I had a second wheel for trainer use only. It sounds to me like that's what you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, just a cheap Shimano wheel that came on another bike. But if you're not riding outside until the spring thaw then it should be a problem to use the same wheel with a different tire.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clean my Fluid2 roller with Goo Gone every once in a while. Removes the tire debris and returns the roller to a smooth surface.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eshaw wrote:
So I've had my CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro for 2 years now. I've gotten, maybe, 50-70 hours of riding time on it as I also have rollers that I use quite often.

This year I noticed this on the surface of the resistance roller https://www.youtube.com/...uU1bLLVcQdneD2OYubpQ

That strip in the middle is very rough and isn't treating my tires nicely.

I called up CycleOps and they told me, since I haven't used a trainer specific tire It's not covered under their lifetime warranty and the only solution would be to purchase a new resistance unit for $199 msrp. The representative said they would give it to me for 150$........

Does anyone have any input? Does this happen normally on the roller surface?

Thanks in advance!

That looks like a manufacture defect in the coating of the roller. Look at the owner's manual, from what I can recall there is no mention that a trainer tire must be used.

I'd push it up a level or two with CS.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro issue [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I don't recall ever reading that a trainer tire is required. Rather, it's recommend in order to prolong the life of your racing tired. I'll do some research. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, if it's simply a build up, then just take it off with a solvent. If the metal is actually pitted; that's another story, but one I've never heard of. I use a trainer tire, as it is quieter, ;sat much longer, and does not slip at all, allowing less resistance on the tire. Mine is going on 4 years. Any tire, as it is used builds up heat, which releases compounds in the rubber that adhere to the roller. Many people recommend, and I always do this, simply wipe your tire with alcohol on a rag before riding to clear the tire of the residue left from previous rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro issue [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It most certainly isn't buildup. I tried wiping it. The roller is rough as if I would have used sand paper on it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, never heard of that. Can you scrape it with a blade? Got any photos? I'm sure the wizards here can find the issue. If it doesn't come off by either scraping or using sandpaper, then I'd send photos to CycleOps. They are quite good with solving and fixing issues with their products.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro issue [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took that little video that's in the post. I actually emailed it to the representative at Cycleops while we were talking. Like someone else pointed out, I've never seen a requirement to use trainer tires......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, sorry I missed that before. I think I'd get back in touch with CycleOps. Maybe heat buildup caused the metal to pit. Maybe that CS rep was having a bad day. Their service is so incredibly good that I would think they'd give you a better remedy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone experience the yellow know locking the trainer to the rear tyre skewers cannot be untighten? It slipping to only one direction. This is sad because I just got this 2 weeks ago.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it makes you feel any better, I have (don't use anymore) a Fluid2 from Cycleops.

At one point, i started riding Gatorskins on my back wheel since it could withstand both indoor/outdoor use without swapping out the tire.

The Gatorskins held up fine, but turns out that small bits of road debris that get embedded into the Gatorskin act as abrasives, and I literally started to wear a groove into my trainer, very noticeable. (I didn't notice for awhile since I leave the bike on the trainer over the winter while using it, but when I took it off, I was like, 'wow!'.)

I didn't have this problem at all when I used indoor-limited tires. It did look somewhat like you pics, but at least mine wiped off at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the same issue with the same trainer. I can actually feel a dip in the roller surface too. Since moving back to NZ from Scotland I haven't had to use it but I'm sorely tempted to offload it and get a Kickr or possibly a Tacx Bushido. In general I've had a decent experience with the Cycleops but wouldn't buy another.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro issue [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the lock knob on my jet fluid gave up. It cannot un-tighten anymore. this is sad. anyone experience?

[url=http://uploads.im/vTjZG.jpg][/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone from cycleops here in slow twitch?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue. Cyclops replaced at no charge after owning for 6 years. It was a simple install.
Quote Reply