Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [kokketiel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi
Where did you buy a Specialized Shiv seat post battery mount?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Racing Yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just happened to me prepping for a race tomorrow...any words of advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [der.kommissar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also in for how people are mounting the internal battery with the Shiv seat post.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [akiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is nothing you can do. I drilled the cap to create a hole to remove it. But it has to be sent to Specialized for them to fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
I'm also in for how people are mounting the internal battery with the Shiv seat post.

I just shoved the battery in the seat post with some bubble wrap.

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the specialized guys, my wishlist for the shiv:
- integrated di2 shift solution for the magura brake levers
- BTA cage mount support on the bars, preferably with a computer mount too
- hidden di2 cabling
- integrated speed/cadence magnet (eg duotrap)

i think these are all things that a large proportion of riders use so would make sense to provide on what is aiming to be a very integrated, user friendly tri bike - i don't know what the plan is for next years model but it would be great to see these incorporated, whether or not there is any other significant change planned.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I admit I haven't read all 100+ pages to see if this is buried somewhere in there. When I travel with my shiv to and from races I put the little cap over the bladder/fuelselage opening. Something has gone amiss along the lines of the inside bolt being loose or stripped or something and now I cannot get the cover to come off. The screw just spins and spins and spins. Has anybody ever had this happen or have any suggestions of how I might get it opened?

Suggestions or thoughts welcome - thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same happened to me last week 24hrs prior to a race. As per racing yoda, nike now with specialized to get fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, had the same thing happen. My LBS drilled out the bolt and replaced both it and the cap. They said they had to break the cap in the process. They didn't charge me, and my assumption was that it was warrantied from Specialized, but I could be wrong. My LBS is great about free service for minor things that take little time for repeat customers.

Since most of the corrosion was caused by sweat on the trainer, I now tape over the entire opening to prevent the same thing in the future. Obviously I remove the tape to race.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep it closed off season, and use tape as others have mentioned and so far so good. I really don't use the bladder other than racing.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chokebait wrote:
Damen wrote:
The front end is a bit of a mess, but I'm hesitant to tear it all apart and cut the tube, adjust cable length, etc. Maybe I'll be braver when it isn't so new; this is my first tri bike.

COMMIT!!!!

Like Houston commented, with the top cap that far from the stem clamp, it's "less than ideal" at best. Not to mention it just doesn't look as clean.

I had guys warning me about cutting my stem, but I hated the look of the spacers on top, and wanted the least garbage up top as I could get.

I had to special order a minimum height "control tower," and of course, cut my cables, but I'm VERY happy with having my stem "slammed".

I've been running this same exact set up for a year with zero issues.....and my LBS who is an authorized Specialized dealer says it's not an issue. Care to elaborate where you are getting your information regards to cracks, and what data you have to support your claim? Thanks for the heads up!

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which basebar. An I get the lowest on the shiv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
Chokebait wrote:
Damen wrote:
The front end is a bit of a mess, but I'm hesitant to tear it all apart and cut the tube, adjust cable length, etc. Maybe I'll be braver when it isn't so new; this is my first tri bike.

COMMIT!!!!

Like Houston commented, with the top cap that far from the stem clamp, it's "less than ideal" at best. Not to mention it just doesn't look as clean.

I had guys warning me about cutting my stem, but I hated the look of the spacers on top, and wanted the least garbage up top as I could get.

I had to special order a minimum height "control tower," and of course, cut my cables, but I'm VERY happy with having my stem "slammed".

I've been running this same exact set up for a year with zero issues.....and my LBS who is an authorized Specialized dealer says it's not an issue. Care to elaborate where you are getting your information regards to cracks, and what data you have to support your claim? Thanks for the heads up!

Since you're apparently asking ME to elaborate about cracks in the steering tube - which I never mentioned - I'll happily oblige. I assembled my bike myself then took it into my LBS to get the cables trimmed down, and see about getting the steering tube cut - simply for looks. The LBS warned me that it would limit my resale market to cut it off minimum height, but I wasn't very concerned about it. I asked if there was any functional reason to cut it, and they mentioned that it takes some stress off of the steering tube to cut it down, and it's best to have the top cap inside the stem clamp for extra support. My LBS is also a Spec dealer and service shop.

Their comment was this: The steering tube is designed to take exactly the torque that's specified for the stem bolts. Over torquing can crack the steering tube. Having the cap inside the tube within the stem clamp helps prevent that - so when you're on a long ride and use a bike tool to tighten a loose stem instead of a torque wrench, you're more apt to damage it.

I even had them call specialized to see how much it would cost me to replace the steering tube and front fork, such that I could order a second one to have on hand to help it resell faster if I ever get rid of it. At $650, I decided NOT to buy a spare and just deal with the limited resale market should I ever sell it rather than simply hanging it in the rafters when it retires. THE SHOP ALSO ASKED SPEC if having 2" on top was a problem. Spec said the same thing - harder to resell, but takes some of the pressure off of the steering tube to shorten it and have the cap inside the stem clamp.

Knowing what I know about carbon, I wouldn't expect to ever see PROBLEMS from having the spacers on top, but it'd have an advantage not having them, and it's certainly a lot cleaner to look at!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you for the clarification!

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Everyone I'll take it to the lbs today to see what they can do. I do use the bladder even for training - but I don't use this bike on the trainer and I only close the top and bolt it for travel. But either way this seems like a normal wear and tear situation which is kind of a drag. Admittedly I don't have a race around the corner ... that would be more stressful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding my Shiv for over a year with the stem below the two spacers. I have no cracking or any other issues, and I do not plan on cutting it down.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Studd Muffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is what the discussion is about. If the Spez Rep gives it the thumbs up then I suppose it's ok on the SHIV.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is exactly how I have mine (the one with the X). The two aluminum spacers are above the stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Hey does anyone have any experience with the low stack pad clamps that was found on the Hoff's Shiv(http://www.slowtwitch.com/...f_The_Hoff_4682.html)

I went with the Uberhund S-bend extensions. Awesome shit. Very low stack, very badass looks. Negative stem and no spacers, cut the tube as well. Might upload a pic of this sooner or later.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found out the hard way that a 3t stem using a 5nM torque wrench will crack the steerer. I cut off the cracked portion and have used it with no spacers on top (no room) for about a year with no trouble.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience running the Enve SES bar on the shiv? I think Tim Don does it. If the base bar adapters don't get me low enough, I think that's going to be my best option.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking to a fellow shiv owner the other day and he ordered the shiv cockpit from specialized and was telling me how he will mount it.
He has a similar stack as me but told me he will accomplish the same height but a different way. A more aero way according to him.
I have a 1" riser under the stem and a 1" riser on the basebar. He told me that he will drop the basebar completely on the frame and use 2" on the basebar.
This would leave the pads and aerobars on the same height, 2" above top of frame, and according to him, would be more aero. so....

Would dropping the stem all the way to the frame be more aero?
How would making these changes affect my current position? which by the way is super comfy right now.

PS: I am getting a new frame, exact same size etc. I would not tamper with my setup normally, but as I need to replace the frame, might as well. if the benefits are there.
PS2: Some people say the SHIV looks more beast when the stem is dropped all the way. I didnt notice the lacking level of beast in my ride, but yea. More beast is better right?

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by blue605 [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walked into my LBS and picked up my spare bike today, equipped with 9070 I think there are only 99 of these in the world.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Hotshottriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That bike is so fast the picture is blurrred!
Quote Reply

Prev Next