Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 8 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 8 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goal for this week: swim 16k nope... goal of 63,000 yards this month and I want to do a bunch this week as I have easier pool access. I fly home next week :-) bike goal at least 60 miles didn't bike at all, busy w studying and so tired, and TAKE AT LEAST A DAY OFF FROM RUNNING nope will take tomorrow, and no food issues

M: 9 mi run (3 x 1 mi fast) + 2500 yd swim
T: 6 mi run + 3600 yd swim
W: 8.2 mi run + 30 min stairmaster
T: 6 mi run + 2800 yd swim
F: 5 mi run + 4000 yd swim
S: 8 mi run
S: 11 mi run

totals 12,900 yd swim + 53.2 mi run

Busy and stressful week. Food issues two days. I was so absolutely exhausted by the weekend that I decided to stick to just one workout a day, needed time to study of course too. Final exam this afternoon and I fly home overnight!!! Goal for this week = not binge.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running was derailed last week due to an injury - I made my PF all angry. I think I just got carried away and sprinted too hard.
Got in the 3 bike rides and two swims, but no strength training - the foot wasn't happy about that either.

This week -
Ease back into some running. See how it goes. Be cautious so I can keep going rather than fall into complete despair and the pit of injury.
Last CX race of the season is on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

Oh, and start to figure out Christmas gifts. EEeeekkk!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A virus laid me out most of the week. Taking the rest day on Monday didn't seem to help - when I tried to run on Tuesday I felt all lightheaded and pukey. Grand total for the week: 1 aborted run and three hour long trainer rides. But I totally win the prize for napping.

For the coming week, hoping for 4 trainer rides, 6 runs (positive temperatures are predicted, I am so excited), 3 swims and 1 ski racing session. Also hoping for patience to get me through the Christmas parties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
- big audit week so super busy at work UGH it was very stressful and I ate garbage the whole week but it's OVER!
- skate 4x including my next ST meet in Kelowna with K ;-) Awesome fun and two more PBs! Yeah! K totally rocked it even the dreaded 1200m (that's a long skate for 10yo)
- run 3x DONE
- ride 2x DONE

This week:
- Get back on the good food train
- Run 4x
- Ride 2x
- Skate 4x
- Drills/weights 2x

No more racing until mid-Jan. Gotta get my klap blades for Long Track sorted tho.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 8 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Napping is a sport that should not be taken lightly...

I just drew up yet ANOTHER run plan - culminating in a (with a?) 10km in March. The plan is a 7week plan that I stretched to 14. We'll see how it goes. It seems more doeable than running everyday. I also think I'm not giving myself enough credit - ie I'm too scared of getting hurt to actually do the longer workouts. Mind over matter (in a sensible fashion) for that one.

This week: 4 runs & a day of cross training (either XC ski or more likely basement biking). A couple runs will have to be outside as I'm on a course out of the office the rest of the week. I like running outside but since I can't get out of the house till 8:30pm - it's easy to skip. I'm hoping the forecast for warm weather will make me want to get out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 6: WIN
Bike x 3: WIN with 4, though 2 were pretty short/easy
Swim x 4: WIN
Core/strength x 4: WIN

Finally got a really solid run week in, just in time to have to cut back this week. Oh well - next race isn't until mid-January so I have some time. Also got the last of our Christmas shopping done, the Christmas lights put up & a couple of overstuffed closets mostly cleared out!

This week's goals:
Run x 5
Bike x 3
Swim x 3
Core/strength x 4

Going to a concert tonight (GWAR - fuck yeah!) so will miss a run & swim - don't know how much I'll be capable of tomorrow, either, as the siren song of the pit is always strong & we'll be very late home. Will most likely be exhausted & tenderized when I awake..

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
GWAR! Luckee! Hope it was awesome and you two are relatively unscathed ;-) AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 8 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing show - never thought it would be as good after Brockie (Oderus) passed away in March, but bringing back Blothar and adding Vulvatron really works and they did a nice memorial during the encore.

As anticipated - hosed, pummelled & operating on 3hrs of sleep after getting home & trying to shower all this off:

Problem is the fake blood still doesn't wash completely out of my hair, so I look like a kid that made a half-assed try at dying their hair pink with Kool Aid. If history is any indication, it'll last a few weeks before it's completely gone.

Totally worth it.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Bumped my personal training up to 2x/week so I'm getting off my butt on Saturday mornings and getting in a workout. Shocker!

Last week was:

2x/personal trainer
2x cardio

I'm trying to get into a rhythm of Mon = Trainer, Tuesday = cardio or rest depending on knee, Wed = barre, Thurs = swim, Fri = barre, Sat = Trainer.

Saw my PT today and he put the nail in the coffin on my running career. PT, shots, rest, ice, stretching, etc and my knee still bothers me when I get too active. I almost burst out crying but held it in. He is a really good guy and I've seen him in the past so we have history. He really felt terrible that we can't get me healed up. It really is time to move on but I'd hoped I could get into hiking. Right now even that is bothering me. I think I'll just have to resign myself to living with a certain amount of pain if I want to be active. It's too early for a knee replacement. He recommended dry needling for more immediate pain relief. I've never done it or acupuncture and he said it can be affective for temporary relief. I'll give it a shot. He has a student who does practice clinics on Tues and Thurs so there won't be a charge. If I can ease the day to day pain I'd be happy.

He's also going to send me info on an anti-inflammatory diet. He doesn't think it will make a huge difference but his philosophy is why not try and and see? I agree and I'm open to anything that isn't harmful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 8 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He has a student who does practice clinics on Tues and Thurs so there won't be a charge.

nice! fingers crossed that it provides some relief for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Saw my PT today and he put the nail in the coffin on my running career. PT, shots, rest, ice, stretching, etc and my knee still bothers me when I get too active. I almost burst out crying but held it in. He is a really good guy and I've seen him in the past so we have history. He really felt terrible that we can't get me healed up. It really is time to move on but I'd hoped I could get into hiking. Right now even that is bothering me. I think I'll just have to resign myself to living with a certain amount of pain if I want to be active.

I'm so, so sorry Jen. I know how much running means to you, and I really had my fingers crossed for you that you'd find some way to keep at it.

I hope you find some relief with the new approach, and I'm sending all kinds of sympathetic hugs.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
JenSW,

I've been taking acupuncture 1-2 times a week for over a year to help manage chronic (and sometimes acute) back pain. It really has helped quite a bit. I now know that the best I'll feel all week will be the first couple of hours after I've finished acupuncture. So this is encouragement to give it a try.

Must have been the week for "nails." My PCP finally came out and told me that my life will never be like "before" (the back injury). The hope he could offer was that the bad days won't be as bad and the good days will get better. On some level I think I knew that, because I had already decided that the pain was not improving any more, and it was time to resume some training to see what I'm able to tolerate (instead of hoping to train pain free).

I don't know about you, but I just can't comprehend the enormity of this is how my life will be. It's just too overwhelming. The only way I keep going is by focusing on what's on deck for today, instead of the rest of my life.

All of this is a long winded way of saying that I have some understanding of what you're grappling with upon hearing this news. Best to you, and feel free to pm.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 8 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I got talking to friends last night and reminded myself, and my trainer on Wednesday, of everything I had accomplished. I need to be proud of what I've done and try not to focus on what I haven't done. I have a pretty solid resume of endurance events that most people would be proud of and I did it all within 12 years, coming from never being an athlete.

I'm still left with the "now what?" question. I have a friend who is a personal trainer and she and I talked through some options at a get together last night. It will be hard to come up with cardio workouts that don't have high impact or large range of motion in my knee. I had originally thought Spin classes would work but I think that's off the list too. I just need to decide how much day to day discomfort am I willing to live with and come up with activities that I can do within that. I'm hopeful I can do some conditioning on the treadmill and start hiking in the spring.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I need to be proud of what I've done and try not to focus on what I haven't done.

Exactly!

Have you considered water-based sports/exercise? ranging from pool workouts to kayaking?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masters swimming? rock climbing (even indoors) is a good workout, and you can do "laps" and make that cardio.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rock climbing and my fear of heights don't co-exist :-)

I will be doing more swimming but the knee flexion bothers me right now. I will be using the pull buoy. I've also been sporadically going to barre classes.

I appreciate everyone's support.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen, it occurred to me today as a cardio option - do stairs hurt? Stairmaster? Not quite running, but I get a way better workout on the stair master than I do the elliptical.

Quote Reply