Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
you might want to do 10 min max per run in zero drop initially before going back to 12 mm for the rest of your run UNLESS you grew up in track spikes and zero drop soccer cleats (which is not that many of us).

I did grow up in track spikes and still trashed my calf/Achilles going from 10mm to 6mm shoes too quickly. Damn to getting older. And I was only 30 when it started... I finally just scrapped the nike frees for anything over 4 miles and stick to Pegasus or LunarFly's. My legs are thanking me. But it feels awful dropping to flats for a road race without any speed work in them.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [BrotherTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrotherTri wrote:
Really great point Paul. Thanks for the reminder. Now who's going to tell me to HTF when its -20 out and I got to get my run on.

What's this -20 you're talking about? I saw 85 on the thermometer today (yes, Dec 5, and in the US). I hate running in Houston.

My grievances:
1) I still can't wear a shirt when running. Seriously. I was used to training in 0 deg weather throughout school in the winters. I want that back. Running in snow is so peaceful.
2) Oil at $70/barrel is cutting down my job opportunities outside of Houston. Was going to be Denver, but that's out now since margins are too tight. I wanna be in CO for the winter, damn it!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xc800runner wrote:

My grievances:
2) Oil at $70/barrel ![/quote

Yeah. Terrible. I can fill my truck without restarting the pump.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally don't see the problem with lowering the minimum to 20 minutes. Those that want the challenge to stay the same (and can handle the 30 minutes/day) can carry on with that standard and rack up some extra credit. This challenge is about frequency. If dropping the minimum by ten minutes get some people out when they otherwise wouldn't (or shouldn't), I don't see how it's a bad thing.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
xc800runner wrote:

My grievances:

Give it 6 months and look at your 401k. Will probably be off 10-15% from the current level. That is tied in somewhat with oil prices (lower futures = less manufacturing = less consumption, blah blah). People have a lite extra money now, but that will be short-lived if prices stay at this level or go much lower. Think 2009 but slightly muted scale.

I'd rather spend an extra $10 on a tank and have 10% returns. Oh, and not driving a truck with a 30 gal tank makes a big difference. My mini just cost me $33 for a full tank of premium. And I still get 400 miles/tank.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xc800runner wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
xc800runner wrote:

My grievances:

Give it 6 months and look at your 401k. Will probably be off 10-15% from the current level. That is tied in somewhat with oil prices (lower futures = less manufacturing = less consumption, blah blah). People have a lite extra money now, but that will be short-lived if prices stay at this level or go much lower. Think 2009 but slightly muted scale.

I'd rather spend an extra $10 on a tank and have 10% returns. Oh, and not driving a truck with a 30 gal tank makes a big difference. My mini just cost me $33 for a full tank of premium. And I still get 400 miles/tank.

Fortunately is more than a 30 gallon tank and I don't mind filling it as I enjoy driving it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xc800runner wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
xc800runner wrote:

My grievances:
2) Oil at $70/barrel !

$2.50 a gallon at Wawa ... almost pre-Katrina price

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grievance......this thread convinced me that I needed another pair of running shoes so that I can rotate the two pairs I now own so this thread has already cost me another pair of running shoes.

To be fair I do now own an awesome pair of bright yellow, orange, green, and other colours, Asics Noosa Tri's....... so swings and roundabouts
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I found out a long time ago that rotating shoes actually save me money. It basically allows me to get more mileage per shoe. Not really sure how this is, but I think it has something to do with allowing the rubber to rest and/or just my feet resting by before going into different shoe. Yeah you got to buy more but that can be done once a quarter. Then twice a year but really depends on the shoe, conditions and mileage. Good luck

James - est. as a Triathlete 1983
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx Dev for hosting the upcoming annual Carnie Freak festival (CarnieCon?). Look forward to getting jiggy with my OCD and addictive behavior. Was able to grab 50 runs last year and am targeting 67 runs this year. Not setting the world on fire......certainly enjoy the buffoonery out here on ST. Good luck folks, train smart!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdraegerpnw wrote:
I personally don't see the problem with lowering the minimum to 20 minutes. Those that want the challenge to stay the same (and can handle the 30 minutes/day) can carry on with that standard and rack up some extra credit. This challenge is about frequency. If dropping the minimum by ten minutes get some people out when they otherwise wouldn't (or shouldn't), I don't see how it's a bad thing.

Michelle

If it's 20, I'll excitedly participate. But I'm a new runner and won't be up to 30 in time.
Last edited by: JSully: Dec 9, 14 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can still participate, its just that the 20 min runs won't count in the challenge, but that really does not matter as long as you are getting fitter. Just use the challenge for motivation when you want to run longer than 20 min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the grievances been aired and shall the 100/100 Challenge kick off on time? I've prepared a meatloaf to appropriately kick off the Feats of Strength. I think it shall give me the strength of 10 men and I shall be running a double on day 1.

The Running Squatch
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [SasquatchRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great question. I haven't seen the challenge posted yet. Hopefully tonight.

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [davetheharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is bragging and does not count as a grievance.

Here's an option.

Do it on one leg each way (that has to slow you down to my speed).
That way you can count it as two runs.
Bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you have missed the point.

Triathletes are, by inclination, supposed to suffer.
They have "pain caves" and sufferfests, bricks, hypoxic nonsense, you name it.
As a reward they talk interminably about "the rules", until their friends offer euthanasia.

While wussification is reasonable, I believe it should entail a certain amount of punishment (not too kinky or someone will write a book).

So, if you do a 15 minute run, the following day you would be required (do not use the word allowed, it's not allowed) to run 30 +15+ penalty.
Running, of any kind, is a penalty for me, but not for all. And the penalty should be equal for all. There's a rule about that somewhere.

You might require a percentage 30+15+5% of previous 3 days (that way the long weekend run may enter the picture...ha! fie on you runners!).
As with any rule change, there has to be rules about this.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is doing two 15 minute runs acceptable? I don't remember.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.....

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [SasquatchRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SasquatchRuns wrote:
Have the grievances been aired and shall the 100/100 Challenge kick off on time? I've prepared a meatloaf to appropriately kick off the Feats of Strength. I think it shall give me the strength of 10 men and I shall be running a double on day 1.

The Running Squatch

Unfortunately I did not taper to start this stupid thing...I ran 130K in the last 8 days. I really should take a day off tomorrow, but I am too stupid to let the spreadsheet go on day 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wooohooo, I topped the challenge chart....the advantages of being in Oz....now for a rapid decline through the ranks as everyones day catches up :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting for the clock to strike midnight. I am going to kick this off with style. Is there going to be an official thread for this or shall we continue on the Grievances thread?

The Running Squatch
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shep wrote:
wooohooo, I topped the challenge chart....the advantages of being in Oz....now for a rapid decline through the ranks as everyones day catches up :-)

LOL...now you guys have people chasing you at 12:01 AM...on the flip side this is like choosing to bat first or last in a 100 day test match. The team that bats last (Midway island on the other side of the international date line for you) has the final say!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't rain on my parade ;-)

i'm sure that someone on Midway sneaking in a last minute run on day 100 will have no effect on my standing on the table :-)

a cricket analogy from your part of the world, that surprised me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shep wrote:
don't rain on my parade ;-)

i'm sure that someone on Midway sneaking in a last minute run on day 100 will have no effect on my standing on the table :-)

a cricket analogy from your part of the world, that surprised me.

Well, I thought that making this into a 100 day test match would be an apt analogy. Hey the ICC World Cup in in Aus+NZ just as the challenge is wrapping up in 2015....don't forget my Indian genetics, we can never get away from that silly sport no matter how many years our families are away from the more British reaches of the British empire...as for Midway Island, that tiny Pacific Atoll essentially brought down the entire Japanese Empire in March of 1944 when the B29's had the empire in their "range". Midway is a powerful place and the winner of this challenge could easily be tapering right now ready for a 100 day burst of action!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by aahydraa [ In reply to ]

Prev Next