Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
My next grievance is my inablity to determine the fine line.

:) My grievance is the same. I'm waffling, but I think it is time for me to retire from the challenge, as much fun as it has been the last few years. I can't resist chasing the top of the chart, and my training balance has been completely out of whack and I went beyond what my body can handle. My body was pretty much worn out by the end of May.

This year, I need to get more balance, stick to my plan, and also incorporate more bricks with short runs that won't meet the minimum time. Gotta resist the temptation to turn those into 30 minute runs or skip swims because a run on the treadmill in the basement is so convenient...

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gamebofh wrote:
Devlin wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
How about 6000 steps on my step counter? Is that running? I also used the stairs to go to the second floor of my office instead of the elevator. Is that running? Would that count?

Maybe if you read the rules linked in the first post of the thread, you could answer your own questions. In short, no.

What about 2000 steps on day 1, and 10000 steps on day 2 so that I can combine them and have 6000 steps on both days?

-Jot

Oh...my....god. Look who is back from the dead!

Johjn

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gamebofh wrote:
Devlin wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
How about 6000 steps on my step counter? Is that running? I also used the stairs to go to the second floor of my office instead of the elevator. Is that running? Would that count?

Maybe if you read the rules linked in the first post of the thread, you could answer your own questions. In short, no.

What about 2000 steps on day 1, and 10000 steps on day 2 so that I can combine them and have 6000 steps on both days?

-Jot

https://what-if.xkcd.com/58/

Quote:

The ISS moves so quickly that if you fired a rifle bullet from one end of a football field. ] the International Space Station could cross the length of the field before the bullet traveled 10 yards.

Let's imagine what it would look like if you were speed-walking across the Earth's surface at 8 km/s.

To get a better sense of the pace at which you're traveling, let's use the beat of a song to mark the passage of time. Suppose you started playing the 1988 song by The Proclaimers, I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles). That song is about 131.9 beats per minute, so imagine that with every beat of the song, you move forward more than two miles.

In the time it took to sing the first line of the chorus, you could walk from the Statue of Liberty all the way to the Bronx:

It would take you about two lines of the chorus (16 beats of the song) to cross the English Channel between London and France.

The song's length leads to an odd coincidence. The interval between the start and the end of I'm Gonna Be is 3 minutes and 30 seconds, and the ISS is moving is 7.66 km/s.

This means that if an astronaut on the ISS listens to I'm Gonna Be, in the time between the first beat of the song and the final lines ...

... they will have traveled just about exactly 1,000 miles.

But it STILL doesn't count as Running

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just mostly dead.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about we log all miles on strava? Have them create us a challenge to track there? Does that count as a grievance?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
How about we log all miles on strava? Have them create us a challenge to track there? Does that count as a grievance?

That's a no brain'er for me. At least the gps data upload would work. ST upload is broken and no support. Then again a few of us have mentioned it.

James - est. as a Triathlete 1983
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
That would be awesome. No way I'm doing the challenge on the ST training log. In fact I'll open a ticket to suggest that.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
mvenneta wrote:
That would be awesome. No way I'm doing the challenge on the ST training log. In fact I'll open a ticket to suggest that.
I don't know about a Strava challenge. I was thinking of just a private group. That way only the ST people that sign up for the 100/100 are allowed. I highly doubt Strava would do a challenge just for ST.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would create a Strava group and administrate the access to it as long as Paul gives me his blessings. What do you say Paul?

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [BrotherTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrotherTri wrote:
I would create a Strava group and administrate the access to it as long as Paul gives me his blessings. What do you say Paul?

Dude! Seriously? How the hell am I supposed to exaggerate my mileage if it is tracked by GPS?!? This is slowtwitch.. We MUST be able to pufferize our results.

NO GPS

NO STRAVA

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [BrotherTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrotherTri wrote:
nchristi wrote:
mvenneta wrote:

I don't know about a Strava challenge. I was thinking of just a private group. That way only the ST people that sign up for the 100/100 are allowed. I highly doubt Strava would do a challenge just for ST.

I think we are stuck with the ST log. It is imperfect, but what it does is it forces us to come to ST and go through the forum to get to the log. As a result of having to do this, people actually stop in on the forum and share what they are doing. Any group training is largely useless unless people talk to each other about the training they doing. In real life group training, it is the social aspect that makes a group ride more interesting than just going to the basement and getting on the trainer and riding at 95% FTP. The entire idea of a virtual training camp is to virtually bring us together as a community.

So on that note, my biggest grievance is people who participate in the challenge but post NOTHING about what they are doing. No pictures from run, no stories about feats of strength, no challenging their buddies to get off the couch etc etc. That's around 90% of what makes a virtual training camp more interesting than doing it solo. So unfortunately, we're going to force you to come through the forum to get to the ST training log....yeah sure, slowman will get some extra eyeballs on his website and that is fine too.....I'm here to contribute to this community and not stava's or garmin connects or training peaks, even though most of us happen to also use one or more of those. It's not about the tools, its about the community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But does posting in a ST log really encourage you to come to the forum? I come here everyday and don't log here. Put something in the header on the Strava group training page that says "hey, remember to come to ST to share stories, pics, etc". It's just so inefficient to log workouts on ST compared to the other sites where Itake off my watch next to the computer, pick up my phone and see the stats from my workout

This is your thing so I'll do it however you decide. Just my
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last thought on the mileage threshold and the desire not to "dilute" the challenge.

Last year the top 10 people averaged 3.46 miles per 1/2 hour.

Top 30 averaged 3.55

100-109 averaged 3.43.

Seems like a 3.5 mile or 30 minute threshold would make a lot of sense to allow short course people to participate (who average closer to 4.4 (or more) miles per 1/2 hour, but rarely run that far). Stretching from a 20/21 minute run to 24 minutes (15%) is a lot more realistic than 20/21 to 30 (30%).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really great point Paul. Thanks for the reminder. Now who's going to tell me to HTF when its -20 out and I got to get my run on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly here you. My Garmin, BT and Strava account are all synchronized. Makes it so much easer. I have never been a big blogger but before my BT account was synchronized I visited the site much more often. I did laot more reading and inspiring my friends. So Paul's points are true for me. So out of respect for Paul and ST I will just manually log my 100/100 as I out run you guys though winter. Let the smack talk begin. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrotherTri wrote:
mvenneta wrote:

That's a no brain'er for me. At least the gps data upload would work. ST upload is broken and no support. Then again a few of us have mentioned it.

As I understand it, the original developer for the training log is inaccessible.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My foot still hurts from IMFL. Dang it. Been running 10 minutes every day, so I think it's on the mend. I *think* I stepped in a pothole and rolled my ankle, and my cuboid has been pissed off every since.

Ok, I have aired my grief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the challenge is coming just at the right time. And I'm grateful for it.

My son (23) was 210LBS in July and made a big effort to work out with me (56). I've hoped to get him involved in Triathlon for years. His dedication was good motivation for me and did him a ton of good. Not to mention spending more time together and sharing something really positive. He lost 45 LBS and is in the best shape of his life. The last few weeks he has wanted to maintain his weight "stop working out" which is ok as far as taking a break. I mentioned the challenge and I think its just the right motivation to get him participating in a healthy activity again. Even, for him, if its a few days a week its' a great motivator.

Either way I'm in.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear. I would have stopped running for a bit. I jacked up my metatarsals in the fall of 2012 took time off to heal. 1st race Black Bear half jacked them back up going down that Damn dam. I keep running the rest of season. While I did well at Mont Tremblant 70.3, IMLP turned into a disaster. So I pulled the plug from running for 3 months to heal. When I started running again I was on Hoka's and 1400 miles later going strong but not fast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, 3 weeks NO running at all. I've very very slowly eased back in to it. Foot feels better every day though, so I'm hoping to be on the tail end of this injury.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
BrotherTri wrote:
mvenneta wrote:

As I understand it, the original developer for the training log is inaccessible.

John

Hey guys, yes, the original developer is not available. Dan and Rapp have a plan in the works to overhaul the log utility at some point in the future (I don't know when). In the mean time, let's keep it in this community and see what evolves over time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrotherTri wrote:
I certainly here you. My Garmin, BT and Strava account are all synchronized. Makes it so much easer. I have never been a big blogger but before my BT account was synchronized I visited the site much more often. I did laot more reading and inspiring my friends. So Paul's points are true for me. So out of respect for Paul and ST I will just manually log my 100/100 as I out run you guys though winter. Let the smack talk begin. :)

FYI, it's not Paul, it's Dev short for Devashish. Paul is his last name. But that's ok, he calls me Marcel sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When will this years Challenge show up on the Challenges tab?

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
BrotherTri wrote:

FYI, it's not Paul, it's Dev short for Devashish. Paul is his last name. But that's ok, he calls me Marcel sometimes.

Thank's Marc. I only meat Dev one time @ MT 70.3. I feel like such a ST newbie.......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My greivance is that I had every intention of being part of the challenge this year. Alas - some serious back problems last spring followed by summer (biking season - duh) have set me back to where I was this time last year.

Time to yet again get my $hit together enough to knock some (small) stuff off my bucket list next year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next