Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I look at November, I ran 28 days out of 30. It just worked out that way. However, if I look more closely, there were around 5 days where the run was 15-25 min range. That was the right amount of running on those days. If the challenge was on, I would get credit for 23/30 days and that is fine. If it was during the challenge, the days that were closer to 25 would turn into 30. The days that were closer to 15 would remain 15...so maybe I end up with 25/30. There is a lot of value in 10-15 min runs for sure, and nothing wrong with doing those for the sake of training even though they may not be additive to challenge totals (at least based on feedback, most past participants are saying NO to the 15+45 option proposed in my first post).
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
If I look at November, I ran 28 days out of 30. It just worked out that way. However, if I look more closely, there were around 5 days where the run was 15-25 min range. That was the right amount of running on those days. If the challenge was on, I would get credit for 23/30 days and that is fine. If it was during the challenge, the days that were closer to 25 would turn into 30. The days that were closer to 15 would remain 15...so maybe I end up with 25/30. There is a lot of value in 10-15 min runs for sure, and nothing wrong with doing those for the sake of training even though they may not be additive to challenge totals (at least based on feedback, most past participants are saying NO to the 15+45 option proposed in my first post).

So, this begs the question...what is the purpose of the 30 minute minimum, then? If the overall goal is consistency, then establishing an arbitrary minimum time that may discourage runners from the challenge that need to work on consistent running would seem to be contradictory, no?

And I'm not a fan of the 15+45 option. I just think that the min should be less than 30, for the exact reason you state in bold above.

Spot

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

So, this begs the question...what is the purpose of the 30 minute minimum, then? If the overall goal is consistency, then establishing an arbitrary minimum time that may discourage runners from the challenge that need to work on consistent running would seem to be contradictory, no?

And I'm not a fan of the 15+45 option. I just think that the min should be less than 30, for the exact reason you state in bold above.

Spot

One problem Dev has discussed in the past is the system that "tracks" this challenge. I believe it is hardwired to only recognize runs 30 min or more. This is why Dev for example is saying to log a 15+45 as 30+30.

One solution may be to allow some walking in that 30min. Say something like minimum 30min, with a max of 10 minutes walking. People wanting to build up slowly could do 5x4min with 2 minute walking in between, slowly decreasing the walk until they are at 30minutes of running.
Last edited by: marcag: Dec 3, 14 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a participant for the last three years, I vote to keep the challenge the same....
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
Staz wrote:
Does 8 hours of skiing count as 30 minutes of running?

No

Skiing is skiing; running is running

No substitutions

You may want to consider the Big Kahuna Challenge for that kinda thing

How about 6000 steps on my step counter? Is that running? I also used the stairs to go to the second floor of my office instead of the elevator. Is that running? Would that count?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
How about 6000 steps on my step counter? Is that running? I also used the stairs to go to the second floor of my office instead of the elevator. Is that running? Would that count?

Maybe if you read the rules linked in the first post of the thread, you could answer your own questions. In short, no.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
One problem Dev has discussed in the past is the system that "tracks" this challenge. I believe it is hardwired to only recognize runs 30 min or more. This is why Dev for example is saying to log a 15+45 as 30+30.

One solution may be to allow some walking in that 30min. Say something like minimum 30min, with a max of 10 minutes walking. People wanting to build up slowly could do 5x4min with 2 minute walking in between, slowly decreasing the walk until they are at 30minutes of running.

Not quite. It can be set up initially to recognized any number of minutes as valid. It just can't be changed after the fact. So my progression suggestion would not work, as once it gets changed, all runs that don't meet that standard "disappear" from the tracker.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you adjust your biking and swimming during this challenge?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [pad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pad wrote:
How do you adjust your biking and swimming during this challenge?

Me personally? Or in general?

In general, it depends on what your goals are if you do the challenge, when your first race is, current state of swim/bike, etc.

As far as me personally, I'm planning on biking 4x week, 1-3 hours with a lot of short intense workouts, as I have a new kid at home. Swimming, I burned out on swimming after 17ish competitive years, so I don't swim. If I plan on doing an early season tri, I'll add in the Ruth Kazez 0-1650 program sometime in early March.

Edit: I also generally only do sprints, I don't have the time to train properly for long events.

John

Last edited by: Devlin: Dec 3, 14 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [tower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second year for me in the challenge and my vote would be to keep it the same.

TEAM ZOOT 2020
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay shoe rotation gurus. Do I pick shoes with similar heel to toe drop? Does it matter? Am I going to injure my Achilles going from a 12mm drop to a zero drop altra?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [rvogt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rvogt wrote:
Okay shoe rotation gurus. Do I pick shoes with similar heel to toe drop? Does it matter? Am I going to injure my Achilles going from a 12mm drop to a zero drop altra?

Pretty sure you will injure your achilles, calf of plantar fascia going from 12 mm drop to zero drop unless you rotate in and out to the lower drop....and I would not start with any runs exclusively on zero drop...you might want to do 10 min max per run in zero drop initially before going back to 12 mm for the rest of your run UNLESS you grew up in track spikes and zero drop soccer cleats (which is not that many of us). You definitely need a rotation. Personally I rotate between 4 mm and zero drop. I can't use more than that, any more. It just does not feel right. You might also benefit from wearing zero drop shoes in the rest of your life outside of running (like flip flops, bare foot walking around the house, zero drop casual shoes at work etc).
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grievances:
1. This thread seems to have dropped the airing of grievances.
2. I saw my last day above freezing until likely well after the end of the 100/100 challenge.
3. My yaktrax have already exploded and the next pair of shoes in my rotation were made by Brunswick.
4. Joe Buck is not commentating on this challenge

It's my first year joining the party, but I would vote for keeping with the 30 minute tradition that has made this running holiday so magical. I would hate to miss out on the opportunity to test my own personal resolve in the fight of good judgment vs. bone-headed competitiveness.

Cheers

The Running Squatch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so I am a "run one pair of shoes into the ground" guy normally but willing to mix it up to try and minimise getting injured in this challenge.

I've just bought a pair of Brooks Ghost 7, is the idea to buy for example a pair of Asics that are similar and rotate those?

Any ideas on shoes that are similar to the Brooks I have?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [SasquatchRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SasquatchRuns wrote:
Grievances:
2. I saw my last day above freezing until likely well after the end of the 100/100 challenge.
3. My yaktrax have already exploded and the next pair of shoes in my rotation were made by Brunswick.

It's my first year joining the party, but I would vote for keeping with the 30 minute tradition that has made this running holiday so magical. I would hate to miss out on the opportunity to test my own personal resolve in the fight of good judgment vs. bone-headed competitiveness.

Cheers

The Running Squatch
Haha. This bit in bold is me down to a T. Its gonna be an interesting contest.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
SasquatchRuns wrote:
Grievances:

Cheers

The Running Squatch
Haha. This bit in bold is me down to a T. Its gonna be an interesting contest.

My grievance: My "A" race marathon for the year is that weekend. Why can't this start later after I get past the requisite two week post-race binge on junk food and sloth? And yes I really do have a block of cheese in the fridge to go with my whine... ;-)

I love/hate these challenges. At work we started a holiday season fitness challenge, suddenly my carefully constructed training plan became "how do I maximize my points and stay in the lead?" I can already see myself thinking "forget all the advice about resting and healing after the race, I need my 30 minutes so the day counts!" Ha!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [SasquatchRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SasquatchRuns wrote:
Grievances:

Cheers

The Running Squatch

The first year I did it (winter of 2006-2007) it was part of a stupid "training streak" that started 2 days after Kona 2006 where I worked out at least 30 min every day, then starting Jan 1 it morphed into running every day at least 30 min, then after the 50 day point, I upped it to running minimum of 10K every day. That year I had a few 50K ski ski race and even a 100K XC ski race and I still ran 30 min either before or after (there was no concept of splitting up my quota)....dumb dumb but I actually was not doing it because I was trying to make any particular fitness gains, rather I was relishing the challenge of seeing if I could get to 1000 kilometers in 100 day without taking a day off. My friend Ray Zahab was running across the Sahara Desert running pretty well 1 marathon per day. I figure if he was going to run around 4200K in 100 days, I should aim for 1000K around real life, so there was no judgement involved, just bone headed stubbornness.

My grievance is that my body can no longer cash checks that my stupidity writes. Stupidity works much better at 49 than 41. In any case, from 2 days after Kona 2006 to December 31 2007, I did not miss a single day of exercising at least 30 minutes. On Jan 1 2008, I forced myself to take a day off because the streak had taken on a life of its own. I remember one particular day when I got up at 4 am in Ottawa Canada to run before going to the airport to catch a flight Tokyo.....then travel to Tokyo took me from Monday morning to Tuesday night. I finally got to my hotel in Yokohama and it was Tuesday at 11:15 PM and I had time (after 23 hours of door to door travel) to cram in a run before midnight. Then the next day (Wed), up at 5 am for a "normal" 70 min run before breakfast a ton of caffeine and a day of work that was supported by the entire supply of caffeine that the island of Japan had on hand....then of course the next night I was up at 4 am on account of too much caffeine so took the opportunity to do a long run on the ITU Yokohama run course.....then fortunately Japan had restocked its caffeine supply and I proceeded to clean it out and that's quite the challenge because that nation has to be the most caffeinated nation on the planet....and so the cycle repeated itself.

....and this is why I had to take Jan 1, 2008 OFF even though it was in the middle of the next year's 100/100 challenge that by then we had expanded to 100+ victims. In that year, we added the concept of days off and doubles being allowed. In the first year, I had zero days off. Sometimes the biggest achievement is getting through the entire gig without getting sick....so I have another grievance....why does flu season always strike during the 100/100 season? Why can't they just schedule flu season at another time of year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More grievances

1) Running is hard, and tiring..
2) Running 100X is 100 days is 100X hard and tiring
3) I have a couple half marathons and a full scheduled during this timeframe.. Those too will be hard and tiring.

I am tired of writing. Its hard!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
Ok so I am a "run one pair of shoes into the ground" guy normally but willing to mix it up to try and minimise getting injured in this challenge.

I've just bought a pair of Brooks Ghost 7, is the idea to buy for example a pair of Asics that are similar and rotate those?

Any ideas on shoes that are similar to the Brooks I have?

Also don't rotate my shoes, but I do think that is the idea. Get shoes with similar characteristics to your main shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant in general, thanks for replying!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first year I did it (winter of 2006-2007) it was part of a stupid "training streak" that started 2 days after Kona 2006 where I worked out at least 30 min every day, then starting Jan 1 it morphed into running every day at least 30 min, then after the 50 day point, I upped it to running minimum of 10K every day. That year I had a few 50K ski ski race and even a 100K XC ski race and I still ran 30 min either before or after (there was no concept of splitting up my quota)....dumb dumb but I actually was not doing it because I was trying to make any particular fitness gains, rather I was relishing the challenge of seeing if I could get to 1000 kilometers in 100 day without taking a day off. My friend Ray Zahab was running across the Sahara Desert running pretty well 1 marathon per day. I figure if he was going to run around 4200K in 100 days, I should aim for 1000K around real life, so there was no judgement involved, just bone headed stubbornness.

My grievance is that my body can no longer cash checks that my stupidity writes. Stupidity works much better at 49 than 41. In any case, from 2 days after Kona 2006 to December 31 2007, I did not miss a single day of exercising at least 30 minutes. On Jan 1 2008, I forced myself to take a day off because the streak had taken on a life of its own. I remember one particular day when I got up at 4 am in Ottawa Canada to run before going to the airport to catch a flight Tokyo.....then travel to Tokyo took me from Monday morning to Tuesday night. I finally got to my hotel in Yokohama and it was Tuesday at 11:15 PM and I had time (after 23 hours of door to door travel) to cram in a run before midnight. Then the next day (Wed), up at 5 am for a "normal" 70 min run before breakfast a ton of caffeine and a day of work that was supported by the entire supply of caffeine that the island of Japan had on hand....then of course the next night I was up at 4 am on account of too much caffeine so took the opportunity to do a long run on the ITU Yokohama run course.....then fortunately Japan had restocked its caffeine supply and I proceeded to clean it out and that's quite the challenge because that nation has to be the most caffeinated nation on the planet....and so the cycle repeated itself.

....and this is why I had to take Jan 1, 2008 OFF even though it was in the middle of the next year's 100/100 challenge that by then we had expanded to 100+ victims. In that year, we added the concept of days off and doubles being allowed. In the first year, I had zero days off. Sometimes the biggest achievement is getting through the entire gig without getting sick....so I have another grievance....why does flu season always strike during the 100/100 season? Why can't they just schedule flu season at another time of year?

I am fairly new to this forum, and triathlon…but this post might be the best post I have read on ANY forum that I frequent. You are a BEAST! I too will be accepting the challenge. I just hope that it does not interfere with the Marathon I am running in January.

Good luck to all. When is the challenge actually posted in the challenge link?
Last edited by: avion2001: Dec 4, 14 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [avion2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a fine line between courage, being a beast and being in the injury stretcher of stupidity :-). My next grievance is my inablity to determine the fine line. But what does not break us apparently CAN make us stronger.

The challenge link will be up Dec 12th or so....will start on Dec 15th.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [avion2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avion2001 wrote:
I am fairly new to this forum, and triathlon…but this post might be the best post I have read on ANY forum that I frequent. You are a BEAST! I too will be accepting the challenge. I just hope that it does not interfere with the Marathon I am running in January.

If it interferes with your marathon, then you are a) not doing it right and b) missing the point.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
endosch2 wrote:

Maybe if you read the rules linked in the first post of the thread, you could answer your own questions. In short, no.

What about 2000 steps on day 1, and 10000 steps on day 2 so that I can combine them and have 6000 steps on both days?

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SasquatchRuns wrote:
Grievances:

That's an upside, actually

Joe Buck is a hack; he bugs the shit out of me

On the other hand, it could be worse; could be TroutFace

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next