Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this on the dreadmill at lunch today, and had a thought.

What is the purpose of the challenge? Basically, for those that are not runners to be able to build a solid base. Obviously, those that are uber runners or already have base are not going to be worried about the 30 minute rule, what we want to do is safely challenge and build those that are at the lower end of the scale.

Here is what I was thinking (Although I don't know if the log supports this without a bit of jiggering):

1. Week 1 - All runs must be 20 minutes. For an 8:00/mile pace, that is 2.5 miles, or 15 miles/week.
2. Weeks 2 - 5: All runs bump up by 2 minutes. So in week 2, that would add 12 minutes, or 1.5 miles, etc etc. So by week 5, our person has increased to the accepted :30 per run, and is now running 22.5 miles per week. (Possibly more, as speed may naturally increase with fitness).
3. Optional - Weeks 6-10, repeat so that now minimum runs are :40.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: Dec 1, 14 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
I was thinking about this on the dreadmill at lunch today, and had a thought.

What is the purpose of the challenge? Basically, for the MOP and worse or those that are not runners to be able to build a solid base. Obviously, those that are uber runners or already have base are not going to be worried about the 30 minute rule, what we want to do is safely challenge and build those that are at the lower end of the scale.

Here is what I was thinking (Although I don't know if the log supports this without a bit of jiggering):

1. Week 1 - All runs must be 20 minutes. For an 8:00/mile pace, that is 2.5 miles, or 15 miles/week.
2. Weeks 2 - 5: All runs bump up by 2 minutes. So in week 2, that would add 12 minutes, or 1.5 miles, etc etc. So by week 5, our person has increased to the accepted :30 per week, and is now running 22.5 miles per week. (Possibly more, as speed may naturally increase with fitness).
3. Optional - Weeks 6-10, repeat so that now minimum runs are :40.

John

Yeah, but now when Galen Rupp and Mo Farah get their 10K run done, they have to go out and do another 5000m run to get over the 40 min minimum :-). All kidding aside, there is nothing forcing anyone from doing what you said, it's just that they may not get credit for it. There is no means to change the threshold on a week by week basis. My biggest grievance is people not taking days off when they should. No one is forcing anyone to run 100 times. 50-60 runs may be plenty anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who injured himself running for the first time this autumn, I still vote "no" on the challenge's wussification. I was aiming for 500 miles in 100 days, including time off after a marathon, and I got shin splints for the first time in my life when I started running again. I will not get to 500. I deserve to not get there because I got injured. I don't deserve to count my walking as running just to get there.

I am rehabbing and almost done. I aim to arrive at the starting line of 100/100 ready to go, and angry after missing 500/100.

Don't make this easy on me, Dev. Make me run smart so I can get all 100.

Grievances:

Winter's dark mornings
One hour later mid-week opening times by ski resorts
Ice

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
davetheharris wrote:
considering the challenge but I'm not sure my runs really qualify. I run twice a day 3.5 miles to and from work. Takes me about ~21 minutes each way so I get about ~42 min per day each weekday coupled with longer 10 mile runs on the weekend. From a volume perspective I get a ton of mileage in but from a continuous running time perspective not so much. Can I combine the two 3.5 mile runs/times for a single run?

Historically, yes this has been allowed. You may combine any two runs is one day to count as one. You cannot combine 2 runs into one AND run a third time for a double run day. If you combine one you combine them all.

got it thank you for the clear explanation, makes perfect sense.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
I don't deserve to count my walking as running just to get there.

Why not? As an ultrarunning friend of mine says: "Hundred Milers are all Gallowalking festivals"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
:30 rule should stand.. But there should be a distance equivelant, 4 miles? Mo Farrah deserves his 10K to count!

Grievances

1) I am still hungover from all the drinking this weekend
2) I am still suffering food coma withdrawl.
3) Running hurts my biking
4) Biking hurts my running
5) Running and biking hurts my swimming
6) Working takes too much time
7) I have no idea what the hell I am saying....

BTW, I am in.. Shooting for 90 runs.

Have to agree on the mileage threshold.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Aust1227 wrote:
:30 rule should stand.. But there should be a distance equivelant, 4 miles? Mo Farrah deserves his 10K to count!

Grievances

1) I am still hungover from all the drinking this weekend
2) I am still suffering food coma withdrawl.
3) Running hurts my biking
4) Biking hurts my running
5) Running and biking hurts my swimming
6) Working takes too much time
7) I have no idea what the hell I am saying....

BTW, I am in.. Shooting for 90 runs.

Have to agree on the mileage threshold.

I think we deferred the grievance to Rupp/Farah. If those guys give up their victory laps in protest that their 10,000m runs don't qualify, who am I to argue with the reigning Olympic Gold and Silver guys. Or if anyone pulls off an equivalent feat of strength (or should I say endurance) and does a sub 30 min 10K and protests the requirement for a victory lap, then we will be forced to change the rules. But with no feat of strength on display from the tri community, it seems like extra laps are needed. Our only chance is the Brownlees or Gomez sign up, and do a fresh 29.xx 10K and refuse to run one further step. They have three olympic medals between them and thus have even higher bargaining power than Farah+Rupp....for the rest of us, we can celebrate festivus with a few laps around the parking lot since we are not in a packed stadium with 60,000 adoring fans commending us on our feats of strength..rather we have our spouses, kids and employers wondering where heck we are and why are we shuffling up and down the driveway, neighbourhood street or company parking lot aimlessly to get to a random number that happens to be exactly 1/48th of a day....oh, the things grown adults will do to enter a stupid number on spreadsheet!

All kidding aside, after my run commute (all of 8 minutes) from the pool back to the office, I was doing a set of 8x50 m accelerations/strides in the parking lot. It can actually be useful miles :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave the rule as is. 15+15 works.

No on the distance idea. Or just tell us fat, slow and out of shape people you don't want us up front.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this challenge is dumb I could run 30 minutes a day but I would rather have more volume on less days
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Leave the rule as is. 15+15 works.

No on the distance idea. Or just tell us fat, slow and out of shape people you don't want us up front.

I think the fast guys were saying either 30 min or 4 miles...whichever comes first. They were just grieving about their fast-ness being a penalty. Hey, everyone is allowed to complain on this thread. Next thing you know Bjorn Anderson will come on here and complain why we can't count his Norseman win retroactively given that it is one of the ultimate feats of strength in triathlon, to which we would need to respond, "sorry Bjorn, wrong month, you are welcome to do a winter Norseman and count the run leg provided that both feet leave the ground on each stride...."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, Dev, Dev.

Don't call it wussification, call it adapting and learning. Call it doing something for the greater good. Call it improvement. Doing something just bc that's how it has always been done has undone many a doer.

I for one am proud of you for proposing this change. (insert golf clap) It brings a tear to my eye, half a tear of happiness mixed with half of tear of thankfulness that you are willing to consider change. Not many people get a whole tear from me.

It mostly makes sense from a training perspective. Although the whole 45 min thing the next day might confuse people

I think if i were to have my druthers and you may agree with my HOA that I may not have things my way, I'd make the rule state that if you run only 1x per day, it must be at least 20 min in duration. Any second run for the day must be at least 15 min in duration.

This allows a smarter build up for many people, with less risk of repercussions for not thinking things through before they start.

but being the planner I am, I might suggest a different modification to the rule, after I dab my eye dry.

I might suggest changing the rule to a minimal of 20 min duration if only running 1x per day and a minimal of 15 for the second run for the first 4 weeks. After the initial 28d period moving that first run minimal threshold to 30 min while keeping the second run threshold at 15min. record total running duration for that day on that day no matter what though.

This should hopefully allow for people to adapt and not die during the challenge.

I implore you to put this rule change up for a vote, to not mimic my HOA which is more scared of change than you are of wussification. Embrace change like a just released prisoner embraces a woman for the first time in 10 years. Adapt, learn, grow and also develop more neural pathways to defeat the ravages of time. Be brave, be bold, proclaim change for the betterment of all instead of sticking to the path that has lead many to destruction. Embrace change Dev, wrap your arms around it like you would your child after their first bike crash when they come to you crying in pain, the pain that many here on ST suffered and that you can make better by accepting my proposal Dev. YOU. You have that power. I'm asking you to do something for the good of the men and the women's of ST instead of being a cruel dicktator (no that is not misspelled ST spelling police even though you think it is) sending many to their ruin.

Tell us Dev how are you going to use that power? For the collective good or to send us to a running hell filled with frustration and injury?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any way to put a sanity check on what people log, to make the log reject obviously ridiculous entries?

Either way, keep it the same. If you can't do a 30 minute run one day, then you can't do it. The end.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
this challenge is dumb I could run 30 minutes a day but I would rather have more volume on less days

Not at all dumb.......You still can run volume. Just make the next run slow and ez until you 30min

James - est. as a Triathlete 1983
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I myself find the 30min run totally acceptable. If you want to add 4 mile minimal distance that's fine as well. So the advocates of less than 30 minutes I proposed you just run slower. That may alleviate any concern of injury.

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [BrotherTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to run at least 9-15 miles every time I go out
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for adding nothing of value to the thread.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
Thank you for adding nothing of value to the thread.

Hey, it is a thread about nothing....we're only supposed to add value starting on Dec 15th when the running starts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the spirit of making a post that doesnt actually add any value....

I'm in for this challenge although in terrible shape. A month ago I was consistently running 40km - 50km a week so on track to hammer the 100/100 challenge. Then I got flu, which turned into pneumonia and meant 3 days in hospital and 3 weeks of absolutely no swim/bike/run at all.

I'm starting from scratch here but looking forward to it. Positives from my side....its summer here in the southern hemisphere so my runs will be outside in great weather!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any extra points for running through colored chalk dust?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has he added value to any thread? Other than him getting jacked on bananas which makes me lol/facepalm everytime he says it.

I think I'm out this year for the attempt, unless jonnyo says otherwise. Last year ended with shinsplints so bad I figured I had stress fractures and I was coming of an IM build hitting 50mpw.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmao they are confusing me i'm fuckin jacked rn bro loollolol toasted off these bananas 24/7 hunnit thou all day bruh u no just a lil bit turnt up off these carbs ya feel me lolllol. but I thought this was silly cause I prefer the volume over frequency approach my post would've made more sense if I quoted but running 12 miles for example takes longer than 30min and 30min/day is very difficult to do everyday so pretty much 9 miles one day then 15 another per week is better/easier for me than 30min per day and is polly just as effective if not more with less stress

owen. wrote:
Has he added value to any thread? Other than him getting jacked on bananas which makes me lol/facepalm everytime he says it.

I think I'm out this year for the attempt, unless jonnyo says otherwise. Last year ended with shinsplints so bad I figured I had stress fractures and I was coming of an IM build hitting 50mpw.
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Dec 1, 14 23:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, I think those bananas you are eating have fermented......

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:

My complaint is that you are listening to someone like Jonnyo that will lead you to PB's and podiums rather than doing stupid things driven by a spreadsheet that slowman hosts that we have to visit each day and see ads for Cobb Cycling, Cervelo, Triathlon Business internations, Holy Shiv and other assorted businesses that make slowman rich. My second beef is that all revenue from this challenge associated click throughs should go into providing each challenger with Hokas so can do even more stupid mileage that they really should not be doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul, two questions;

1. If this is thread about nothing when will you post the official thread?

2. I read though last year's 100/100 thread and I think manual entries into my training log are ok. What concerns me is will I be ostracized and will my integrity be questioned for manual entries? I am one of the lucky ones that the import via direct device or file doesn't work in my training log. ST should get it fixed it's been nearly a year.

Thanks

Quote Reply

Prev Next