Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread
Quote | Reply
Just re posting the 2014 thread. Same deal, get it out of your system and yes I would be supportive of a minimum 15-20 min run but let's see what you guys say this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the challenge starting on Dec 15, it's time to get all the moaning, bitching and complaining out of our collective systems in the next couple of weeks so we can get to work on some winter running (here in the Northern Hemisphere).

Here is the thread with all the rules from last year so please check that out before you complain (actually this thread is fine to complain in if you disagree with everything or anything there, but better to read it first).

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4897743

I'll start. I don't like WTC having downhill swims, cancelling swims, shortening swims. WTC needs to hire Monty as their swim director and then we'll be swimming in 10 foot surf in lightening and they will make every swim 5 miles like it is meant to be. But it seems that WTC does not want swims to be hard because it gets more people in the sport. I have been grappling with the wussification of sport in general. Gone are the days when they made hard men like Monty, Tom Warren or Wolfgang Dietrich. So wussification has gone mainstream and the challenge has been receiving pressure for the past 5 years to wussify and be more inclusive because we want our 100/100 cake complete with icing and want to eat it to. If the challenge board of directors wussified it to 1 mile per day or 1 min per day, that would be even more inclusive.

Before I execute a "rule change", let me say my grievance is the wussification of sport. The challenge was never really designed to be inclusive....we made it to see who would be smart enough to extract max fitness, while in the process we could use it to break some of our competition and send them to the injury zone (OK, pink font for this part about injuring people....we don't want to do that).

The problem is that even though we don't want people to get injured, we can't help people doing stupid things to themselves and getting injured on day 30 because they tripled their mileage in a span of 30 days....it works for 3 weeks and then magically on week 4 people break themselves.

In keeping in line with the wussification of sport, WTC put in the swim smart program so we don't get beaten up in 3000 person mass starts. Now we can hang off rafts and at the threat of a tiny wave, WTC will shorten or cancel the swim. If they can get the local dam authority to release more current into a downstream swim, they will.

My complaint is the entire industry has gone that way, so I table this rule change to the veterans to start the flood of grievances.

All rules stay the same as last year except for this one. Since we can't stop people from breaking themselves and they will go out and do a run when they should not, I propose that the minimum run to count on a given day would be 15 minutes provided that TOMORROW you do at least a 45 minutes continguous run in one shot. Don't enter 15 minutes in the spreadsheet today though. You get to enter 30 min for today and 30 minutes for tomorrow, tomorrow after you have completed the "catch up 45 minutes".

Other than that, all the rules stand the same. I am complaining about the sport being wussified, but now you guys can complain that I am suggesting that we wussify the challenge and in doing so, I am becoming part of the problem.

OK, that's all I have. Start the airing of the grievances. Did someone get a festivus aluminium pole during Black Friday that they can put in the corner, or since it is ST is the pole carbon fiber?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 22, 16 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of the problem? how about the whole problem? /pink

6 paragraphs to try and sneak in a rule change to wussify the 100/100 challenge? Its like I don't even know you.
Last edited by: MattAune: Dec 1, 14 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does 8 hours of skiing count as 30 minutes of running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sheesh, why not just let everyone walk for the run challenge. Why not just wuss it to the max.

On a serious note, my goal last year was 75 runs and early on I did some 15min runs morning and evening to make my 30 mins. And took days off when my body needed them. So fast forward to the end of the challenge and I hit the mark with 95 runs for my first 100 day challenge. IMO there is no need for the rule change. Grievance submitted.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it ain't broken don't fix it. We're grown ups, if we over due it and run too much we only have ourselves to blame. Plus there is no way police what gets entered into the workout logs other than assumed honesty, best to leave it that way.

As for my grievance, there are not enough larger organisational events out west, ie REV3/Challange (yes i know they're one and the same now). Here in the mountains we've got terrific local races, but I'd like to see more national/international organizers move in besides WTC and HITS.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:

No

Skiing is skiing; running is running

No substitutions

You may want to consider the Big Kahuna Challenge for that kinda thing

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, Geno 55's bootleg thread has more views.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
Staz wrote:

No

Skiing is skiing; running is running

No substitutions

You may want to consider the Big Kahuna Challenge for that kinda thing

Well, I will choose to lie to myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many grievances... Where to start?

1. Winter is too long
2. Long Island has too much traffic, too many stoplights/stop signs
3. I'm fat and running is hard with the extra weight
4. Winter is way too long
5. I need new running shoes
6. I ordered a treadmill over a month ago, still hasn't been delivered
7. The Pats only play once per week
8. There isn't enough hockey on TV
9. Knicks suck
10. Winter.

Is it March 24th yet? But seriously, can't wait to get started. Really hoping to come into my best running this spring and be much better off the bike in 2015.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:30 rule should stand.. But there should be a distance equivelant, 4 miles? Mo Farrah deserves his 10K to count!

Grievances

1) I am still hungover from all the drinking this weekend
2) I am still suffering food coma withdrawl.
3) Running hurts my biking
4) Biking hurts my running
5) Running and biking hurts my swimming
6) Working takes too much time
7) I have no idea what the hell I am saying....

BTW, I am in.. Shooting for 90 runs.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
considering the challenge but I'm not sure my runs really qualify. I run twice a day 3.5 miles to and from work. Takes me about ~21 minutes each way so I get about ~42 min per day each weekday coupled with longer 10 mile runs on the weekend. From a volume perspective I get a ton of mileage in but from a continuous running time perspective not so much. Can I combine the two 3.5 mile runs/times for a single run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The challenge is sweet as is......... If anything I would make ALL the runs outside. That would put some hair on your knuckles....

James - est. as a Triathlete 1983
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pissed that the ST Poll question on the 100/ 100 doesn't list the options as follows:
-Yes. Jeebus that's a shipload of running
-No. Jeebus that's a shipload of running

The third option is inclusive of the first two, not exclusive, and therefore redundant.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [BrotherTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrotherTri wrote:
The challenge is sweet as is......... If anything I would make ALL the runs outside. That would put some hair on your knuckles....

That's my challenge. Dreadmill is not for me.

But hey, if a billionaire like T. Boone Pickens can work out every day and say you'll be better off for it, than I'm in.
http://www.businessinsider.com/...tine-workout-2014-10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't change the rules!

But can you consider to have ranking by gender, age groups (3 yrs increments is fine) and weight (5lbs increments).

It would also be nice to have "goody bags" for all participants and awards 10 deep in each category. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see...

1. Still not recovered from the whole "Oops I Broke My Spine" thing. Starting to run again, so you're damn right I'm signing my busted ass up for this. (Yes, I asked my spine ortho. No, I haven't told my wife. Better to ask for forgiveness on that front.)
  2. Not riding. No bikes yet, and the priority is paying off my hospital debt first. (News Flash: CTs, MRIs, a lot of X-rays, and a custom brace for your spine is not cheap.) Still have about $6K left on the hospital bills and ambulance ride.
  3. Not having the courtesy to turn the siren on for you during said ambulance ride.
  4. I need a new pair or two of running shoes, and I currently am not working in the industry so no freebies. See #2 as to where this falls on the priority list.
  5. At the very least, I can swim like a fish right now.

Also, I hereby vote to deny dev's motion to wussify the challenge. Errr...isn't that what makes it a challenge?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time of doing this that I have grievances to air! Mix of timeline + grievances:

1) Built up to 50 miles/week last year during 100-100 (BarryP style), no injuries, felt great, had my best 70.3 run by far at Oceanside at the end of the month (not my fastest, but close while being FAR easier - ran with some slower friends for a bit which kept me from 70.3 run PR)
2) Got a new job mid-March, moved to elevation, got ridiculously busy, and all but stopped working out
3) Got fat and out of shape (end of challenge to now: +35 lbs)
4) Decided to get back IN shape ~6 weeks ago (had to prepare for 100-100 again!)
5) Went to doctor, got diagnosed with an issue (non-training-related, non-preventable) requiring surgery and 6+ weeks off of training
6) Have now worn a fat-me-shaped divot in living room chair

On the plus side, my exercise exile expires December 12th, just in time to start my slow-and-steady plodding on the treadmill, working back up to get (hopefully) most of what I lost back. I would be ecstatic to get back to that 35-50 mpw range.

Edit to add: last year I lost out on "credit" on some runs by starting at 20 mpw @ 6 runs/week, so some were in the 0:20 range. It was frustrating, but I also knew that when I got back from my 18-22 minutes of running I was still pretty darn fresh, so I got the 0:30 rule. If I'd done a really hard 20-25 mins and totally beat myself to hell, I'd have likely lied on the #s to get a run credit due to the expenditure. 15 mins would have gotten me credit on all runs, 20 would have too, but in the end, if I throw on the gear, go out for 15 mins, come back, have to change again, etc. I still did a "run", I think.
Last edited by: kylemce: Dec 1, 14 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [davetheharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetheharris wrote:
considering the challenge but I'm not sure my runs really qualify. I run twice a day 3.5 miles to and from work. Takes me about ~21 minutes each way so I get about ~42 min per day each weekday coupled with longer 10 mile runs on the weekend. From a volume perspective I get a ton of mileage in but from a continuous running time perspective not so much. Can I combine the two 3.5 mile runs/times for a single run?

Historically, yes this has been allowed. You may combine any two runs is one day to count as one. You cannot combine 2 runs into one AND run a third time for a double run day. If you combine one you combine them all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In. I can't seem to sign up yet though. This challenge sucks. It's 50 degrees in the mornings now and I don't have enough pairs of tights. My gloves are full of snot and crusty but I always forget to put them in the washer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No wussification please.

Isn't there already the ability to do 2x15min in the same day ? No need to do 15 and 45 the next.

What's next ? Must do 210min per week to count as 7 runs ?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
No wussification please.

Isn't there already the ability to do 2x15min in the same day ? No need to do 15 and 45 the next.

What's next ? Must do 210min per week to count as 7 runs ?

Yes, 2x15 minutes counts....in the extreme of the wussification, you could skip 97.75 days and then start a run 100x30 minutes (maybe with a beer after every 30 min to make it some extreme version of the beer mile). The problem is that the runs would not be separated by the required 1 hour, so you'd actually have to start 100 hours earlier (so around 4.25 days earlier) to come in under the wire. Actually as I type, I realize you could stay inside the rules, start as late as 6 1/4 days before the end and get it all done. Well some people have been known to do something like that with university level calculus but not sure it would work with running!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished Runvember 30/30 using the same Rules as 100/100 Run Challenge and I cannot imagine continuing to run every day. I don't know if it's just the massive amounts of turkey and gravy from the weekend or excessive wine and beer, but the last thing I want to do today is run.

That being said, I did PR my 5k by 30s on Thanksgiving morning (17:36)...so, it works, but I'm all for a day off here and there.

I won't be actively participating this year as I no longer log workouts on ST. But, I may try to aim for the 70-85 mark again this year. We'll see.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
:30 rule should stand.. But there should be a distance equivelant, 4 miles? Mo Farrah deserves his 10K to count!

Not to wussify - but I'll 2nd this. I'm in either way, though.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
Aust1227 wrote:

Not to wussify - but I'll 2nd this. I'm in either way, though.

We need to ask Mo Farah is he agrees with this level of wussification and wants to skip his victory laps around the London Olympic track. If Mo can't answer can any of you guys check in with Galen Rupp? I think they are looking a bit soft and could use an extra three or four laps!!!

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [MSUtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MSUtri wrote:
I won't be actively participating this year as I no longer log workouts on ST. But, I may try to aim for the 70-85 mark again this year. We'll see.

Would that be IN-Actively Participating, then?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next