Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official TrainingPeaks Thread [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
So, if I have this right, first I upload everything to Garmin Connect, and then it automatically gets sent to TP via AutoSync, which I authorize once, and then works automatically after that. Sounds great, but... does the AutoSync function in TP.com rely on my having ANT+ Agent installed? Or will the AutoSync function work with Garmin Express installed and ANT+ Agent uninstalled?

The last time I tried to uninstall ANT+ Agent and install Garmin Express, I lost the ability to get my swim workouts into TP. Are you telling me that's fixed now?

Garmin fixed Garmin Express which originally did not save the workout files locally. Now you can upload to Garmin Connect and AutoSync to TP via Garmin Express and you'll still have the workout files local if you need them. TrainingPeaks gets the data directly from Garmin Connect.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Official TrainingPeaks Thread [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent. I'll try it out tomorrow. Now about those other questions I had...

1. How, if at all, does one create weekly goals and weekly comments in "new" mode? I can still do so in "classic" mode, but I'm stumped figuring out how to do so in "new" mode. If it's not currently a capability, can it be added? I rely on both of those.

2. When, if at all, will "new" mode allow one to add a note related to a metric? In "classic" mode, I can input a note next to weight, which I use to record my hydration. In "new" mode, there's no ability to add a note.
Quote Reply
Re: Official TrainingPeaks Thread [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. You can add fields including Notes to the metrics activity. Click on your name, select settings, layout, quick views metrics.

2. It is coming. http://peaksware.uservoice.com/...stions/6592255-goals

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the answers, but when I went to add Hydration Level and "Note" to my metrics page, it went great until I tried to "Save" or "Save and Close." Trying either kicked me out of that page entirely and onto a different page that wanted to know when I bought my last pair of shoes. I tried to modify my metrics page a few times, and no go. There's a bug that prevents me from saving my modifications to the metrics page. The functionality will be really nice, when all of the bugs get worked out, but you can count me among the many who wish that TP had not moved to a broken Beta. Actually, you can count me among those who mourn the loss of the original Classic (the one that preceded the version that is now called Classic, but our voices were drowned out long ago). Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with relying on auto-sync is that it doesn't do it in a "smart" way so I can't use it (thus am avoiding new GC and still using ANT Agent and manually uploading stuff to TP).

By non-smart I mean that, for example, on days when my training schedule calls for say a 90min turbo session with tightly defined power targets etc. I do that session but I also still do my normal commute (say 45mins each way) to and from work on the bike. Now that commute doesn't actually feature as a planned session on TP (clutters things up too much and is usually done more as a recovery session) but I do want the data in TP. So, when I upload things to GC if I have auto-sync on I sometimes get the commute loaded up into the planned turbo workout file and the turbo workout just loaded as an unplanned session. It offends my OCD sensibilities! It seems (but isn't always 100% consistent) that if I do the commute earlier in the day than the turbo then the commute goes into thh planned session whereas if it's the reverse then it generally works out that the turbo session goes where it should.

Any work arounds as it would be nice not to have to do it all manually and just let auto-sync work but ...

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may just be messing something up but is there a way to have activities entered manually into Garmin Connect auto sync to Training peaks? Obviously I could just manually enter them into TP but I like that when I enter stuff into garmin it also updates myfitnesspal.

I won't even bother asking for Windows phone support :)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official TrainingPeaks Thread [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutoSync passes through the FIT file the device uploads to Garmin Connect. No file, no sync. It does work differently with other apps based on how they implemented it.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
AutoSync passes through the FIT file the device uploads to Garmin Connect. No file, no sync. It does work differently with other apps based on how they implemented it.

Thanks I figured it was something like that, Strava I don't think syncs either so probably also uses the FIT files, myfitnesspal seems to get it manual or activities from a device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the past few years I have recorded swims with a 310xt. For pool swimming, this was basically a stopwatch.
I recently upgraded, now I get much richer information.

When I upload it to TP, I now notice that only "swimming time" is recorded in the summary. E.g. if I swim for 1h15, only about 55mins is actually moving time. I understand that this is because TP uses this time to calculate sTSS (which I barely use).

I would like it if the full 1h15 was contributed toward my weekly totals rather than just the 55mins. This would then be consistent/comparable with the previous few years on TP and also my records pre-dating that. Is there a way to do this, or will there be?
Quote Reply
Re: Official TrainingPeaks Thread [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better swim metrics and data collection is on the roadmap. Right now you can edit the workout time manually after it syncs. It won't re-sync and overwrite your edits.

Rodney
Last edited by: rbuike: Nov 12, 14 4:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rodney. if I overwrite the time would it alter the sTSS values?
Quote Reply
Re: Official TrainingPeaks Thread [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it will I went back and modified the time on an OWS and it didn't. Personally I think sTSS is at best a good guess, a better than nothing, as opposed to TSS and rTSS and have never been too concerned with it.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the same way about sTSS, I don't use it myself but I asked it for the benefit of others who might. I presume that one day they will figure out a better way to calculate it and provide a way to update the historic results.

Meanwhile I will do it as you say. I was so excited about the automated upload procedure... (920 to phone to Garmin connect to TP)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used TP for the last few years with no problem. This new beta, now going live, does not work for me. I've opened a couple of trouble tickets and only get what works for most people...my wife uses my Garmin's - 500, 910 or 405. She only wants to see her numbers on Garmin Training Center but it now uploads her workouts to TP...then i have to manually resolve. She is not tech savvy and will not create another account we have to logon and use, we have too many already for all the various places we touch.

In the past i would upload the workouts that pertain to my coaches instructions review results and make comments. Done in a couple of minutes.

This new process requires more time and is not as functional...looks pretty though. Is there a way to minimize my effort/time on this? Can i keep the old interface?

I asked on the trouble tickets for someone to call but have not heard from anyone and no resolution through TP normal channels...sorry to broadcast here.
Quote Reply
Re: Official TrainingPeaks Thread [Papac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I understand your issue correct You can disable AutoSync with Garmin Connect.

How do I disconnect the AutoSync from my Garmin Connect™ account to my TrainingPeaks account?

If you need to disconnect your Garmin Connect™ account from TrainingPeaks, you can do so from your settings in Garmin Connect™. Open My Profile and click on Account Information. Scroll down to the section labeled Applications and click on the Remove Permission link next to the TrainingPeaks connection.

If that is not the issue please explain further.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the quick response! the initial issue that forced me to auto update were manual updates that would not load in beta. when i attempt to upload files it either sits or errs especially with larger files. i would move back to classic and the uploads worked perfectly in a few seconds. TP Help could not resolve without auto update. i use a mac with the latest OS and Safari updates as well as the current version on the Garmins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For multi device, multi user scenarios I think you are best served with Device Agent. It allows you to control which files are uploaded to which TrainingPeaks account from your Mac (or PC)

http://help.trainingpeaks.com/...3177084-Device-Agent

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again...but, i really do not want to add additional software and interfaces for me to manage & maintain.

I just want TP to work with the same functionality it had in the classic version and allow me to upload my files. If you want it to look prettier that's fine but don't change the basic functions that allowed it to work. Is there a time frame for correcting the code in the new version so i can upload tcx files like i did in the classic version? Or, is that no longer an option?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new version is easier than the old. You simply drag and drop the workout file onto the TP calendar.

I'm confused now as to what the problem is.

Rodney
Last edited by: rbuike: Nov 19, 14 5:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:

Rodney just wanted to update and say I accidentally found the way to make it work, I've only done it once and maybe it was a fluke but well it sync'd a manual workout today from garmin to TP.

In modern to manually add you can either click the + on the activities widget thing OR once in the listed of activities that looks like how the old version of connect showed them you have the manual add or import buttons at the time. By selecting that manual add you get a much more detailed form for the manual add. For example I was adding a swim this morning and that had a box for pool length and after having put my yardage in with with it showed how many lengths were done, not that I care just neat.

Anyway I saved it as usual to go manually upload to TP and sure enough it was there already!

I have nothing else to add at the moment so I haven't confirmed it but will do so in the morning and update if needed.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks, I haven't poked around with the modern GC but I'll try it as well

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not drag and drop - beta times out when doing this with tcx files. Tried it with fit file and it does not have all the information of the tcx file.

But, did not mean to confuse you. The simple answer is the 'upload' button in beta should allow users to upload tcx files just like it does in classic.

Let us know when this beta bug is solved! Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FIT is preferable to TCX from a data perspective but TCX files upload fine via Drag and Drop, the Upload button and Device Agent.

Other than downloading a course onto a device TCX files in general aren't anything special. TCX files are bloated but that's not because they contain more data.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:

Finally did another manual add into Connect and did it the same way I did previously, worked fine so wanted to just say I confirmed this method seems to be working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
rbuike wrote:

Finally did another manual add into Connect and did it the same way I did previously, worked fine so wanted to just say I confirmed this method seems to be working.

It works with the Modern version but not with Garmin Connect Mobile manual activities :) That said the mobile app properties are limited, maybe the Modern app is doing something different.

Rodney
Last edited by: rbuike: Nov 24, 14 10:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next