Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help with Di2 programming shifters
Quote | Reply
I built the cateye button hack (using another set of bar end shifters for the internal "chip") so I can have shifting on the hydraulic brake levers of the Cervelo P5. Everything seemed to work fine until the wires were internally routed and connected into a 5port junction. Now both the FD and RD only shift in one direction. I have played around with the E-tube software and it seems to pick up all the shifters, and I can assign the x and y buttons on each side. Despite this, I still cannot get the RD to go into larger cassettes and the FD to go into the big chainring. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with Di2 programming shifters [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do your aerobar shiftetrs (vs. base bar shifters) work in both directions; or are all four behaving the same?

Also, same behavior if you disconnect all shifters except for one of the hacked shifters?
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with Di2 programming shifters [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. My unhacked bar end shifters work fine. I've unplugged them and tried just the hacks and can't get different functionality. I'm wondering if the hacks can be "flashed" or if that is only for the FD? Do the chips in the shifters have firmware? It's also possible that installing them damaged them somehow but I find it odd that each side only operates one direction and each of them the opposite direction. I'm hoping software tweaks might sort this out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the shifters can and should be updated to the latest firmware. That's the right next step.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with Di2 programming shifters [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, all firmware is updated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a screenshot of your E-tube post connection confirmation? Almost sounds like they are being treated almost like a sprint shifter. Can you reassign the function of the working button to the opposite direction or "non-working" button to the current working function (ex.shifting down)? Also try this across the sides/buttons i.e. program left shifter to RD function.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with Di2 programming shifters [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll get a screenshot of the Etube connection set up tonight. I did do some tinkering as you suggested but didn't really note how I changed things, I do that again tonight too and take better notes. I do recall switching the hacks to operate opposite (Left side controlling the RD and right side controlling the FD) but still only single button operation. I will try to see if I can get the non-button working on each side to work so I can eliminate the possibility that the button is damaged. I also unplugged the functioning aero bar end shifters and tried to just program the hacks but didn't get anything different that way. From what I remember, the software treated them as bar end shifters (as it should) since that is what they really are. Do you know if 2 pair of bar end shifters may confuse the system?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'll get a screenshot of the Etube connection set up tonight. I did do some tinkering as you suggested but didn't really note how I changed things, I do that again tonight too and take better notes. I do recall switching the hacks to operate opposite (Left side controlling the RD and right side controlling the FD) but still only single button operation. I will try to see if I can get the non-button working on each side to work so I can eliminate the possibility that the button is damaged. I also unplugged the functioning aero bar end shifters and tried to just program the hacks but didn't get anything different that way. From what I remember, the software treated them as bar end shifters (as it should) since that is what they really are. Do you know if 2 pair of bar end shifters may confuse the system?

The fact that the "hacked" version is not working by itself is odd and may be a tell. Are the hacked barends the same model as the hacked?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, the hacks were created from a set of SW-R671 bar end shifters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I unplugged the functioning bar end shifters and only had one hack plugged in. It recognizes it as a shifter but I can still only get one button to program. I can set it for FD or RD but still only one button.
Does anyone know if it's possible to have 2 sets of SW-R671 operating simultaneously?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried it on my Shiv by replacing my e-brifters with 2 more barends to total 4 into the 5 port and it worked no problem without programming. However, e-tube could not perform the connection check no matter how I changed the settings. I do have an internal battery so it is not apples to apples as firmware is different.

I can tell you that battery firmware does influence functionality as I had some issues from the July firmware BTR2 upgrade that required me to change configuration (wiring).

When you tried it the first time and everything worked I assume you just did a plug and play (no e-tube connection)? So this leaves 2 explanations from my vantage:

1) E-tube connection with firmware changes are now stopping functionality
2) Once you wrapped everything up one of the connections on the hack shifters has opened, soldiering there is a weak point (assume you used silicone or equivalent for strain relief?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking your #1. As you guessed, we hooked things up plug and play (no etube connection) and they worked.
While damage could have occurred while installing,I still find it too coincidental that the functionality broke as it did. I did silicone ect. as the hack specified, but I'm not sure how the shop wrapped them up after that.

One thing I did note. When going through the etube programming sequence, it asks you to push a button to tell the software which set you are programming. You can either press the up or down, it doesn't care, it just wants you to hit one. On my bar end shifters, I tried all four buttons and they triggered the next selection step. On my hacks, only the known operating button would trigger this sequence.
So either each side has an unrecognizable and broken button, or the software has decided it won't read a signal from that button (but that doesn't sound right to me). So now maybe I've convinced myself that your #2 is possible. Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do. Hydraulic brake cables have to be dismantled to get the hacks out and that is not an easy job from what I understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know how I can revert my 5port Junction box to an older firmware version? Maybe the update screwed things up?
Quote Reply