Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Older women's training schedule for 50+
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if the women my age take 1 or 2 days off per week from training? I'm 50, new this year to triathlon, and feel so much stronger with 2 days off (not in a row) per week. What is your recommendation? Should I try to build over time to 1 day rest? I wasn't involved in any sports as a younger person. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Older women's training schedule for 50+ [mzappella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mzappella wrote:
Just wondering if the women my age take 1 or 2 days off per week from training? I'm 50, new this year to triathlon, and feel so much stronger with 2 days off (not in a row) per week. What is your recommendation? Should I try to build over time to 1 day rest? I wasn't involved in any sports as a younger person. Thanks!

I think that since you are new to tri, taking a few days off a week is good. I believe it's not a simple answer to your working up to more days a week. I think it'd depend a lot more on if you want to do this for competition or fun / hobby. Also your social schedule will dictate a lot of what you can and can't do.

I am your age, and have long running background. I generally workout every day, but I have worked up to that over years. I do have days off my legs where I only swim. Additionally, if left to myself - I would over train and get injured, so planning a few off days a week is smart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i started exercise etc. at 50 and yeah, i was only walk/running 3-4 days a week then. good for you!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to work in three week cycles, where the first week I'll kill it, with possibly one day off, the next week go slightly less hard, again with one day off, and the third week go fairly mild with two days off.

That said, running is miserable the first day after I skip a day.

I think after 50 it's super important to balance strength, flexibility, and fitness. I'm going to work a lot harder on the first two now than in years past. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest is the crucial fourth leg of training (strength, endurance and nutrition are the other three).

This is even more important when you're new to sport (this or any other) as the tenancy for most is to over-train and/or ignore the need for rest. Listen to your body- feeling stronger with two days off tells your that you're doing something right. And, continue to listen because , while others may have valuable input and varying experiences, your body is unique.

Whether this changes over time remains to be seen. Don't "aim" to decrease your rest days, but rather, at some point ,when you feel rested and strong give 1/d week a try. It is best not to try this if you have a race scheduled soon and/or have stressful life events occurring during that time as these create increased stress which will increase your need for rest.

Welcome !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just turned 50 also, but have been doing tri's for quite a while. I definitely need more recovery now. On our current schedule, we run 3 days, ride 3 days and take 1 day off. The rides are mostly recovery effort. For the runs we have one long lsd, one temp and on at our intended half marathon pace.

If you just started out, I would consider 2 days off and periodize as someone else mentioned. IE...an easy week every 4th week. Mostly you just need to learn to determine now much rest you need.

Good luck with it!
Lori in Fl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all so much for your insights.

Nad, I am hoping just to finish without (too much) injury at Vineman 70.3. That’s my basic goal right now. :) After all the great feedback I am allowing my body to tell me when to take it easy.
Kathy_caribe, so nice to hear from another who started this at this age (and by the way-- huge kudos for standing up to the horrible comments on another thread).
Kiki, great advice-- I hadn’t realized that that was what many do-- the three week cycles. That’s a great idea.
Toreishi, thank you for your welcome and reading your post was like getting a gentle massage! So relieving! I definitely feel “off the hook” if I feel the need to take an extra day off.
Lori in Florida, Yes! I like what you wrote-- the periodization makes total sense! :)

Just wanted to thank all of you. Your support and advice really helped!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a specific goal (Vineman 70.3) I suggest you find a training plan around your fitness level. You can modify as you like, but it really helps to have some structure and building of workouts toward a goal.
There are several free - to low expense plans out there. Start w/ google. I think tri -newbies has some, and I think Don Fink has a new book out for 1/2 IM.
You'll do amazing. And we want to hear all about it!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I failed to mention weight training as well. I've always found that just a little weight training helps, but it helps so much more now in my 50's.
I've been doing some strengthening and stability exercises from RunSmart Online, I also do leg press a couple times a week. as well as planks. It's not a lot and doesn't take a bunch of time, but I find that I recovery much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished reading a great book for athletes over 50 by Joel Friel. Its called Fast After 50. Lots of info about training, racing and recovering. It even has a small section on Menopause. Book gives you lots of information about how aging affects our training and racing. Also it has sections on resistance training and nutrition. I really liked the book and a lot of the info made sense to what I am experiecing now as an older athlete. I am 53 years old and battling perimenopause issues. Joel Friel is a well known author, athlete and coach. For sure. Any other women here know about him to.
Quote Reply
Re: Older women's training schedule for 50+ [spintela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh, thanks for sharing. I'm going to look into this book.
Quote Reply
Re: Older women's training schedule for 50+ [spintela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent suggestion re the Friel book-- I'll look for it. :) Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the book last night and started reading it right away - love Joe Friel so this is going to be great! Thanks for the heads up!

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Older women's training schedule for 50+ [PattiTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another book that you all might interesting is:

Older, Faster, Stronger: One runner's quest to find out how women are running into their 50s, 60s and beyond, and what that can teach us all about living younger, longer
by Margaret Webb

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Older women's training schedule for 50+ [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That book is on its way to my door on Monday. Will let you know what I think about it and how it compares to Joels book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highly recommend this book, which I got for Christmas and read immediately. I'm now reading "What Makes Olga Run?" by Bruce Grierson, which is also helpful.

It's taken a long time for older women to get any information or training resources specific to them. Good to see that it's finally happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Older women's training schedule for 50+ [pondering] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pondering wrote:
Highly recommend this book, which I got for Christmas and read immediately. I'm now reading "What Makes Olga Run?" by Bruce Grierson, which is also helpful.

It's taken a long time for older women to get any information or training resources specific to them. Good to see that it's finally happening.

What Makes Olga Run is AWESOME!!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting this book immediately! Same with the Joe Friel one. I actually logged on here for the first time in a while, to ask a question like this. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Older women's training schedule for 50+ [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I know how my Amazon gift certificate from work will be spent now!
Quote Reply