Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers
Quote | Reply
maybe you guys know about this, i don't know how many of you do, but Ironman Florida, November 1 upcoming, has slots available. not through ironman directly. and not through the charity program. but through a bulk purchaser travel company. slots are $1000, this is a bona fide, fully vested, ironman slot, and there's a, what should i say, "culturally appropriate" redneck riviera hotel room as part of the package (which you can use or not as you so choose).

let me know if you'd like me to put you together with the purveyor of the slot. this is a public service kind of thing, as in, neither slowtwitch nor i individually are making a vig on this, it's just that these long-sold-out slots don't come open every day.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could do the Great Floridian, not worry about drafting and spend time at Disney/Universal/SeaWorld with the family!!!

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given your behavior after the Indian fiasco I think you need to email many "redneck" to see how they feel about the use of this terminology. We wouldn't want to offend any precious snowflakes out there would we?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i knew you would come, and i am cocked and ready for you.

i have partied hardy in the redneck riviera, and i haven't yet found one who evinces anything but a kind of wry pride in the term. (acknowledging that an alabama town declined to have the reality show "redneck riviera" filmed there.)

i think if you do go, you should first read about the culture of the redneck riviera, as written about in southern reader. you might want to travel to ironman florida in your redneck riviera jeans, which a country western singer launched at - wait - panama city, florida. that country western star, john rich, said of the place, "after seeing so many people enjoying the laid-back, carefree beach lifestyle of the ‘Redneck Riviera,’ I realized it is not just a place. It’s a state of mind."

a sentiment with which i agree. shit howdy! tom t hall celebrates the redneck riviera in song. i love the redneck riviera. it's just like where i live, except we don't have a beach, and we do have pit bulls and meth labs. i say, own it, baby!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damm bike crash....I would be up for this next year. Will look for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Slowman wrote:
maybe you guys know about this, i don't know how many of you do, but Ironman Florida, November 1 upcoming, has slots available. not through ironman directly. and not through the charity program. but through a bulk purchaser travel company. slots are $1000, this is a bona fide, fully vested, ironman slot, and there's a, what should i say, "culturally appropriate" redneck riviera hotel room as part of the package (which you can use or not as you so choose).

let me know if you'd like me to put you together with the purveyor of the slot. this is a public service kind of thing, as in, neither slowtwitch nor i individually are making a vig on this, it's just that these long-sold-out slots don't come open every day.

Do you know which hotel it is?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do you know which hotel it is?"

no. i'm led to believe it's not the hyatt.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Ok thank you. I thought there was an actual hotel called redneck riviera.....
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
culturally appropriate hotel sounds like the boardwalk beach hotel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan...I sent you a private message about my interest. Thanks! --christian
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Redneck Riviara sounds good to me.

Without struggle you wouldn't know your strengths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

yea, they have a pond out back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
redneck riviera hotel room

If anyone has ever been to PCB, they'll know this title is very appropriate for the vast majority of hotel/motels there. Somewhat applies even to the host hotel. And this isn't offensive in the least. I wish this deal would have been around before I went down (from NC) to volunteer and sign up on-site last year.

Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess some groups just aren't as entitled to be offended as others.

Wikipedia

The term Redneck is chiefly used for a rural poor white person of the Southern United States. It can be a derogatory slang term[1][2] similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:

Wikipedia

The term Redneck is chiefly used for a rural poor white person of the Southern United States. It can be a derogatory slang term[1][2] similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).

Read that as immortality. Ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

I PM'd you w/ contact info. Please pass along to the travel company.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

Wikipedia

Read that as immortality. Ha!

Oh I was waiting for something like this to happen! I was born in Western North Carolina. Yep, right in the mountains. I'm qualified to know what rednecks are. I would consider myself an expert. Isn't it funny how we can't dress up as Indians but we can make fun of "redneck" hotels on Slowtwitch. By the way, I'll be available at any time for your opinion on redneck-rest of the country relations. I look forward to contributing to the homepage response

Thanks for offering the spots though Dan. Good luck to whoever claims it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 10, 14 18:57
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have fitness, but no IM to do? "closed" florida is now open to Slowtwitchers [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bear in mind i didn't use the term redneck (noun) but redneck (adjective) modifying the noun "riviera", typically considered a term of praise when referring to a coastal area. and praise this once great nation of people are due.

third coasters are a proud people, but don't ever forget how they were viciously overrun by successive hoards of invaders. once numerous along the beaches like a sea of great white whales, first came marauding coeds during spring break streaming south from the carolinas (you're familiar with these forest-dwellers). next it was the conquering Ironmen, displacing and disregarding the indigenous population, closing their streets, looting their community purses and justifying, cynically, their thievery by calling it a "site fee."

let us not pity them. slowly, they've made a return, building up their numbers. they've intermarried with canadians, so called snowbirds, a peaceful people from the north. much of our culture comes from the third coast. this is the civilization which added to our cuisine steak mojo and chicken grigri. biloxi, apocryphally, gave us, "he hasn't got the sense the lord gave a toad," and "she is flat standin' in the need of prayer."

i love my third coast brothers and sisters and i believe they return that love.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 10, 14 19:54
Quote Reply