Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [sweathog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced IM Chatt and the only volunteers that I saw in the changing tents were standing at the exit taking gear bags from racers and throwing them in a pile. I didn't see any of them actually assisting with changing of clothes etc. There may have been, I just didn't see any doing that when I was in the tent. And I don't blame them for not getting involved if people were urinating in there.

And I pissed in the port o potty just outside the exit of the tent.
Last edited by: arby: Oct 8, 14 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [bbryant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am just a gross person, but I don't think is such a big deal. Deserving of a penalty for sure, but not dangerous or horrifying. Half the people in the race pee all over themselves, so running through some urine/dirt ain't no biggie.

Again I could just have a high threshold for gross, I think my wife thinks so.

Perhaps as a delayed penalty, WTC would allow you to pee on this dude while the volunteers cheer you on.

BTW, thanks for volunteering, IM's get the greatest volunteers.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you wouldn't have any issue if all the competitors took a piss in the changing tents if they chose to do so? Just seeing how gross you are :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During pro meetings, it as been mention a few times in the last few years that peeing in the change tent is a DQ. I think it s a good rule and unless you have a accident and very apologetic about it, it s a easy DQ call.

now, with no official around....it s a little more complicated. Perhaps the pro will come here and clarify everything

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not innocence. I've got years and years of volunteer, racing and RD experience. I'm fully aware of the nature of the sport and where those sponges they hand out on the run course have likely been.....it's not pretty.

But we aren't talking about a volunteer handling a bike for an athlete , or one picking up gear for racers where they have the option of doing so with gloves - that's why they wear the gloves. Sitting in a chair and covering it with urine, covering the ground with a puddle of it that other people must now use is unacceptable and completely, utterly unnecessary. I was there in Chattanooga, Portolets were right there by the tents. A FEW STEPS AWAY.

Those pros coming in from the bike have 112 miles to urinate themselves on the bike. Doing it in T2 is 100% a voluntary choice. A bad one. Volunteers are captive in the area for hours. Asking racers to use the proper facilities conveniently located is a minimum consideration for the staff, volunteers and other racers.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Perhaps the pro will come here and clarify everything

But that might detract from the fascinating "is urine sterile?" debate!
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
little red wrote:
There were port-a-johns just a few steps outside of the changing tents. He would have had to have been blind to not know they were there since he would've already run past them once leaving the tent from the swim to bike. No excuse to pee in the changing tent. Disgusting and disrespectful.

Not so true. On the swim in to bike you went right out of the back of the tent. So unless you looked left you would not have known their location. I did not know until I ran out of T2. However I assumed they would be there and they were and plenty of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [caveAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They were on both sides of transition. On your left just outside mens changing tent and then as you circled behind the ladies tent there was another row on that side as well. No reason to miss both rows.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the logic here. It is ok for all 100 swimmers to pee in the pool (according to countless ST threads). Where you slosh around in it, get it in your mouth, eyes, nose and swallow some. But one guy pees on the ground where it sinks into the soil and 3/4 of the STers think that is just gross that they have to run over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No soil. Asphalt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sweathog wrote:
Reminds me of the T2 tent at Lake Placid in 2011 - the very hot year when wet suits were not allowed. The temps in the tent were sweltering and the team captain was pleading for all volunteers to wear gloves. Most were thinking it over because of the temps and how uncomfortable it would be. One of the first pros off the bike flew into the tent, sat down, pissed on the chair while changing, and was out of the tent in a matter of seconds.

Two things: 1) every volunteer immediately decided to wear gloves as we all witnessed the event. 2) None of the group (nearly all athletes working to register the next year) thought that behavior was odd in any way. Isn't that part of the WTC experience to provide a private gender-specific change tent? I'd hardly call that a public space - not like I could just waltz into the women's change tent and volunteer there. Plus, he is a pro - and I think most were OK at giving him a pass as this is his living and, for him, time really does matter.

I smiled at the innocence of the comment that no volunteer should have to work in such conditions - I guess you haven't considered T2 of an Ironman event before. Handling the shoes, socks, and bike pants of a few hundred racers who had recently pissed themselves multiple times is a rather humbling manner to earn your place in line to pay for next year's race ticket.

Sweathog, I have worked several IM Change Tents, and completed several IM races.....I volunteer knowing I will be asked to help athletes with the clothes they change from and to. some come in an are in actual physical distress, these folks deserve a pass on problems they might have. This was not that, Mr. Brandon was having and did have a great race it appeared to me, he was just disrespectful of folks there to help him. I do not volunteer to be splashed with urine or forced to walk around in it. As others have pointed out IM Chattnooga was extremely well organized, there were port-a-potties all around the transition area as well as on the course headed out to both run and ride portions.... So no innocence here, I just don't approve and think the conduct should be regulated and penalized. And no, a Pro does not need nor does he deserve a pass on violating the rules, with out the volunteers and the AGers who support these races all over the world, there would be no Pro Race....anywhere.

bb
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
I agree with you about it being wrong to urinate in the changing tent, but there are cultures where such activity is a bit less of a taboo than it is here in the US:

This is not the same thing as urinating in a changing tent. These guys had the decency to pull of to the side of the road. They are not exposing themselves, inconveniencing others, putting others at risk etc. etc. etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was clarified earlier it was concrete, not soil. But your point still stands.

I enjoy running things past my wife as a sort of litmus test. I told her this story, and her response: "He just pissed like a dog, right in front of everybody? Why did you choose the most disgusting hobby possible?"

I still don't think it was clarified if he actually whipped it out, or just stood there and pissed in his tri shorts in a somewhat obvious way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So where do we draw the line - is it cool if athletes just piss all over the volunteers? I mean what is the big deal?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Thank God urine is sterile, you could drink it if you had to. Crazy fact for the day, there are greater than 1 million microorganisms in a gram of dirt; if you want a sterile changing environment, ain't gunna happen.

Not true. Urine is a biohazard and is treated as such in any medical facility.

Really, the human body is not sterile. lol. Don't know how someone could believe this but this is actually besides the point.
The point is that this pro exhibited rude, inconsiderate, unsafe and immature behavior and I believe he should be held accountable.
Last edited by: Ty: Oct 8, 14 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
It was clarified earlier it was concrete, not soil. But your point still stands.

I enjoy running things past my wife as a sort of litmus test. I told her this story, and her response: "He just pissed like a dog, right in front of everybody? Why did you choose the most disgusting hobby possible?"

I still don't think it was clarified if he actually whipped it out, or just stood there and pissed in his tri shorts in a somewhat obvious way.

He did not "whip it out" he stopped in the door of the change tent, spread his feet out a little and urinated. at first I didn't even know what he was doing, thought he might be having some problem....it quickly became very apparent he was urinating however.

bb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcyLs_few0E

"Like animals that mark their territory, I pee in the pool. That is my territory". - Ryan Lochte.
Maybe the pro was just marking his territory.

"Kids, it is OK to pee in the pool" - Ryan Lochte.
There you go. Insight from the brightest Olympic swimming star. But he did not clarify if it is ok to pee in transition.

if all 2500 athletes peed in transition like this guy, we'd have a big p(ee)roblem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello bbryant and All,

Commercial opportunity here.

Ironman logo urine bottle (and cap to seal it) with your name on it.... to be disposed of later or collected by WADA.

Locate one in your gear at each transition and do not leave home without it.

No time wasted finding the porta potties.

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, social acceptability comes down to the "shaking" scenarios.

If you shake it more than twice, you're playing with it, and now I have a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced IMCHOO and teach at the local university. I told my students that if they volunteered and wrote a one page paper about it, they'd get extra credit. One of my students was a volunteer in the men's changing tent. He was somewhat taken aback at how dirty and smelly it got in there. I noticed the tent stank a lot more than usual. I don't know if he saw the pro urinate or not but I bet if he did, he'd never volunteer again. Not sure I would either. Believe it or not, the race isn't just about one person. When we get that attitude, it hurts the race, the racers and the volunteers.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello bbryant and All,

Commercial opportunity here.

Ironman logo urine bottle (and cap to seal it) with your name on it.... to be disposed of later or collected by WADA.

Locate one in your gear at each transition and do not leave home without it.

No time wasted finding the porta potties.

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster

Yeah, where was WADA? Have them ready and waiting in the tent. Problem solved.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if this has been answered but did he whip it out to pee. I mean these guys usually blaze through transition so I can't imagine a guy just standing there pissing his shorts, but even if he did how would you notice?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was answered above. He didn't whip it out. He stood there with his legs slightly spread and dropped a puddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
It was answered above. He didn't whip it out. He stood there with his legs slightly spread and dropped a puddle.

I bet nobody did that while waiting in line for the swim while wearing their wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Pro Pissing in Change Tent [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Swim lines for a TT start are always one big piss river, and I tend to contribute.

The only thing I question here is it appears porta-potties were right there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next