Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Any idea why a pt 2.4 sl would drain the battery ?

Cheers Noel,
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I have seen is that would be a faulty battery holder. There may be a small electrical issue within the holder itself. I would suggest trying a new one.

Matt Waite
PowerTap Brand Manager
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [WaiteForIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,
thanks for your reply, Tried that and did not sort it, I was just wondering if there was any other thing to try,

Cheers Noel,
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brand of 357 batteries are you using? Are you testing the battery after they are "dead". How long is it taking before the battery is drained?

Matt Waite
PowerTap Brand Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said he it takes a SR44 or a LR44,it drains in 24hrs if not removed, it lasts for 4 x 2 hr turbo sessions, its a guy I know that's selling it, I was going to get it for my son to train with to get him into training with power,

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I HATE MY POWERTAP WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, a bit frustrated. Same deal this weekend as last. 2d ride on the G3 internal rebuild. Calibrated fine in the morning, and the ride to coffee. Sat for 1/2 hour or so, no appreciable change in temps. Get on the bike, no readings. Except this time I was getting torque readings flashing between 0 and 2048, and calibration readings of 781-782. No power readings when pedaling, "0" when coasting. Same story as last weekend (last weekend calibrating at -2 and giving power 250+ watts high). Confirmed the calibration numbers with other garmins, it's not the head unit.

Garmin download after the ride reads 26,000 + average watts.

I've been without power basically all summer, and with AG Nationals in 3 weeks, looks like I'll be without it for that too.

Any thoughts on if it's the torque tube as someone else mentioned? I don't even know what that is but I'm at my wit's end with this wheel. If I didn't want to have power on two bikes I'd ditch the PT for something else.

I can't believe that no one at PT or wheelbuilder has dealt with this issue and has a solution, but seems that's the way it's going.....
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jmomentum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmomentum wrote:
ChrisM, see my previous posts. I also had very high readings (2000W+) from my G3 which just seemed to come out of nowhere. However, unlike your situation I was never able to get the magical calibration number back anywhere near 500. So basically it continued to be off and I had to send it in to have the torque tube replaced (supposedly).

You got it back, yes? Does it work? This is what we're trying with mine.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could someone from Saris please explain this.

Our service center has stated that they think Garmin 500s are faulty and causing powertaps to go out of calibration range. I'd like to know if this is technically possible.

Logically, my vision of it is that the the garmin issues a "go calibrate" command and the PT goes and works out where zero torque is, taking account of the small voltage fluctuations.

Apart from the initial command, does the garmin have any influence on this process (other than starting it) ?

Is it really possible for a garmin or any device to force a powertap out of calibration ? i.e. could I go off and write some firmware for a garmin 500 that COULD push a PT out of calibration ? Or is the process entirely inside the PT ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:

Our service center has stated that they think Garmin 500s are faulty and causing powertaps to go out of calibration range. I'd like to know if this is technically possible.

Logically, my vision of it is that the the garmin issues a "go calibrate" command and the PT goes and works out where zero torque is, taking account of the small voltage fluctuations.

Apart from the initial command, does the garmin have any influence on this process (other than starting it) ?

Is it really possible for a garmin or any device to force a powertap out of calibration ? i.e. could I go off and write some firmware for a garmin 500 that COULD push a PT out of calibration ? Or is the process entirely inside the PT ?

interesting idea, I'm not aware that the 500 is capable of transmitting anything. but rather that it just listens for an offset number during no load periods ( ie:coasting or sitting still ) and interprets that to calculate the power figures.

enough of my waffle, I'm keen to hear the answer on this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
Jamaican wrote:
Jesse,

Do you guys plan to update the Joule for SM-EWW01 compatibility?

Bump

Bump

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my Joule GPS, I have both Interval and Ride Time displayed. The auxiliary views for Interval are Interval Power and Time. When I hit the Interval button, a new interval starts and everything is fine, except that the Ride Time also resets to zero, whereas it never did that before. This is true whether I choose to display 'Interval' or 'Lap' in the Configure Device dialog from PowerAgent. Any ideas?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking for suggestions on how to remove a stuck battery cover on a LYC. No matter what I try it just chews up the "slot" with no movement. And yes I've done it successfully before, quite easily in fact, and the slot *was* in good shape before I started trying to remove it.

Is there a specific tool other than a coin? Tried US nickels and quarters. Is there a preferred denomination, and from which country?
Nothing seems to fit the slot perfectly, so the pressure is concentrated in a few small places on the edge of the slot and the plastic is so soft it just deforms. I may have to just cut of off and use a new one.

Has anyone found a cheap source for these without having to buy a bag of 100 or more?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [bilmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bilmas wrote:
Is there a specific tool other than a coin?

Cone Wrench

Quote Reply
LYC not uploading via cradle - VM ware on Macbook Pro [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been about a year since I've used my little yellow headunit on my powertap. It is a 2.4 but I think it was prior to the ant+ availability.

In the past uploading data to training peaks, power agent, device agent, etc has always been tricky and I needed to connect everything in the right order. (plug in unit, turn unit on, start software, search for device) or it wouldn't upload.

So I've just been "riding around" with my head unit now for a bit collecting data and it is full. But can't get it to upoad now to any software

I have tried these programs on the PC side (Windows 7) of VM ware fusion: WKO 2, Power agent , device agent

And on the mac side have tried power agent & device agent.

When I plug in the cradle a popup window asks me if I want to connect to mac or PC and I c hoose the appropriate one, but always get an error or that it can't locate the device.

Any thoughts on what I haven't tried yet?

I recently replaced the hard drive on my macbook, but can't imagine that would cause any issues.

Thanks.

Suzanne Atkinson, MD
Steel City Endurance Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just some very basic questions, first time with Powertap. I am using it with the 910xt. I loaded the latest SW and everything worked well. On the 910xt I followed some of the instructions online and accessed the calibration menu. When calibrating I did nothing with the bike. Am I suppose to do something, ie spin pedals, ride the bike? So I did nothing, bike is stationary and got a reading of about 505 and some torque reading. Is that okay? I read below that the reading should be a little higher perhaps, not sure. How often do I need to calibrate?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:

powertap wrote:
Lets see your PowerTap!

This is the place to share your experiences with PowerTap. Please feel free to post pictures, ask questions about anything PowerTap related or power related for that matter. We will do our best to answer your questions, give feedback and share information whenever possible. We are experts in our field and are happy to share information with our loyal users when we can.

:(
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the g3 and 910xt. Do I need to do anything special on the bike prior to initiatinga calibration? Spin the wheel fwd, back, anything? I simply initiated calibration while the bike is idle, on my floor stand. It's that correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought a Powertap G3 (newer graphics) and connected it with my Garmin 500. I calibrated 3 times, 610, 614, 615 with zero torque value. Do I need to update firmware on my Powertap?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the joule 1.0. I am able to clear the data but the ride info is still there. It says I have used 3.8 hours of the 25 or so it will hold but I have cleared the joule. I have the latest firmware. Any thoughts?

Jim

So, I managed to lose the LYC for my SL this week (flew off the mount when I hit a bump, and I couldn't find it).
I'm having trouble finding a replacement computer for wired hubs (the reasonably priced ones on ebay all say wireless).
Are the wireless LYC's backwards compatible with wired? If not, is it possible to "downgrade" them (presumably via a firmware update) to work with the wired hubs?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [rickthebrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hi
A have a PowerTapSL+ MTB PM were there have been some periodic problems regarding thetransmission to my Garmin unit. And now it´s completely dead !! I havetried to replace the batteries and so but nothing helps. It seems like the ANT+transmitter need to be changed but it is an integrated part of the hub in thisversion. The distributor tells me, that PT no longer provide spare parts forthis version of hubs and I therefore have du replace the complete internal unitto the G3 version which is quite expensive. As an alternative he offered me acomplete new G3 hub with discount.
Is there someonewho have knowledge of any other alternatives ??

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
On my Joule GPS, I have both Interval and Ride Time displayed. The auxiliary views for Interval are Interval Power and Time. When I hit the Interval button, a new interval starts and everything is fine, except that the Ride Time also resets to zero, whereas it never did that before. This is true whether I choose to display 'Interval' or 'Lap' in the Configure Device dialog from PowerAgent. Any ideas?
You ever get this answered? I believe you accidentally flipped it into "interval mode." If you look at the top line of the screen, you'll see it says something like "lap" or "interval". If you hold down the interval button for 3 seconds or so it'll flip back into standard mode, and the top line will show something like the temperature.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [tgator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if you "need" to, (what I mean is, I don't really know what the higher reading mean and if they materially impact things), but my n=1.... I consistently had 505 with zero torque for the better part of a year and all of a sudden had a much higher reading, maybe in the 700's?, and was also having an issue where I couldn't get a power reading on any of 3 head units. I updated the firmware and problem solved, back down to 504 of 505 consistently and everything works perfectly fine. I'd give it a go if you haven't already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, I'm looking to buy a Powertap SL+ from a local guy. I went to check out the hub and in test mode on the LYC it is displaying an offset value of 526. After reading this thread it seems like it may be fine but may not be as it is not 512 +/12 . Thoughts?

Race Reports, etc -- Bob's Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Jamaican wrote:

You ever get this answered? I believe you accidentally flipped it into "interval mode." If you look at the top line of the screen, you'll see it says something like "lap" or "interval". If you hold down the interval button for 3 seconds or so it'll flip back into standard mode, and the top line will show something like the temperature.

That's good to know. I think I've done that before while riding, mistakenly trying to get into settings and steering at the same time. I'll verify when I get home.

Quote Reply

Prev Next