Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus (need input from people who have used larger devices for cycling/running)
Quote | Reply
Looking to get some opinions about this. I placed a preorder this morning for the 6 Plus which was a no-brainer for me for general use. I want the larger screen real estate and battery life, however I am concerned about when I use it for cycling and running. I printed out the size comparison pdf and it might be too bulky to throw in my back jersey pocket while cycling or in my fuelbelt for music while running. I currently have a 5 that has a Mophie battery pack on it 95% of the time so I have become accustomed to a larger device but this is still another step up dimensionally.

Now I know that Android phones have offered similar-sized devices to the 6 Plus so I'm sure people have had experiences using them for these activities. Are they too bulky and cumbersome to take running and have floating around in your jersey pocket? Please advise.

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus (need input from people who have used larger devices for cycling/running) [kraeburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a plus this morning and researched your question yesterday.

For cycling it should easily fit in a jersey pocket unless you have an odd jersey. I'm probably going to eventually mount mine on the handlebars and use an external battery that is placed in a top tube pack. I have seen someone with this setup, it's fantastic. Garmin is such garbage compared to iPhone or Android. The new iPhone will have more power and sensors than the Garmin 1000.
For running check out the Salomon S-Lab Advanced Skin Belt and the Amphipod Airflow belt. Both are on running warehouse.com.
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus (need input from people who have used larger devices for cycling/running) [kraeburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually went the other way...

I had a Galaxy Note but found it too big for running/biking, so switched to a Z1 Compact (which has the added benefit of being waterproof)

So although I cannot reassure you with my story, I can point you in the direction of what is for me the best solution for phone on bike and arm
http://www.quadlockcase.com/...s/iphone-6-plus-case
http://www.quadlockcase.com/...d-lock-bar-mount-pro
http://www.quadlockcase.com/...lock-sports-arm-band

I believe the plus case comes with a rain jacket/poncho.. but cannot testify to how it holds up in the rain

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then don't. Besides an emergency, what on earth do you need it for? First world problems. What a bummer.

kraeburn wrote:
I am concerned about when I use it for cycling and running. .
TIA
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus (need input from people who have used larger devices for cycling/running) [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suunto Ambit 3 is $500. iPhone 6 starts at $650. If you have a limited amount of money, what's the better buy? (There are some people that run and do triathlons that have to actually watch their spending.) The only thing the Suunto adds is it's waterproof for swimming, which might be useful if you practice in the open water. The iPhone does running and cycling as well or better plus about 14 billion things that the Ambit 3 doesn't.

What Apple and Samsung did to Blackberry they will soon do to Garmin and Suunto. The Garmin products look and operate like they were developed by all of the people that couldn't get jobs at top tier technology companies.
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus (need input from people who have used larger devices for cycling/running) [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Then don't. Besides an emergency, what on earth do you need it for? First world problems. What a bummer.

kraeburn wrote:
I am concerned about when I use it for cycling and running. .
TIA

Not sure where you are going with this comment. Of course the best solution is not bringing it along. I like to have my phone on me if I am running or cycling for emergencies or music/podcasts when running, I currently have a 5, and am ordering a 6/6+. If the 6+ is ungainly for this intended purpose I will get the smaller one.

Not a bummer, not a problem (99% of the discussion here is based around first world problems--$1200 for a carbon wheel to shave off a handful of seconds?). Thanks for the input but I find your solution infeasible for my intended use.
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus (need input from people who have used larger devices for cycling/running) [jamesgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamesgoldstein wrote:
Suunto Ambit 3 is $500. iPhone 6 starts at $650. If you have a limited amount of money, what's the better buy? (There are some people that run and do triathlons that have to actually watch their spending.) The only thing the Suunto adds is it's waterproof for swimming, which might be useful if you practice in the open water. The iPhone does running and cycling as well or better plus about 14 billion things that the Ambit 3 doesn't.

What Apple and Samsung did to Blackberry they will soon do to Garmin and Suunto. The Garmin products look and operate like they were developed by all of the people that couldn't get jobs at top tier technology companies.

Exactly. Although I still plan to use my 910xt as my primary headunit. If I was shopping today it would be a harder decision to make. My girlfriend is looking to upgrade her running watch and I recommended getting a bluetooth HR strap and download an app. She already carries the phone for music.

I tend to run alone and at odd hours so I always have my phone on me. Training for the Boston marathon every year means I am often doing long runs in the dark after work from january through April, no way I would do that without some sort of communication device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar situation. I've gotten use to always having the phone on an armband, usually without music or anything but just to have a contact device. This is due to family at home and fact of dark and/or long runs. Would be interested if any samsung s5 or note users have strapped one onto their arm. I still find my 910xt to be the preferred option for recording/displaying data while running. At the end of the day I didnt have enough balls to preorder without holding the 6 and 6+ first, so now I will probably have to wait months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO the + will be too big to put on a arm band for running, the 6 is debatable, I think I'm going to wait to hold them in my hand to make a decision
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the 6/6+ have an altimeter built in? 6+ is a BIG device as I'm sure you know. To those comparing watches to phones I for one would enjoy using a phone as a cycling computer if the battery life was decent and just stick with the watch for racing. Using a cycling app with a maps feature on a 6+ would be sharp

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus (need input from people who have used larger devices for cycling/running) [jamesgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamesgoldstein wrote:

Suunto/Garmin for sure. No question at all. Just a no brainer for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For cycling I'm sure it would not matter since the Plus will fit in a jersey pocket. Frankly, even an iPhone 4 sucks for running. Really any phone does. I do know my daughter runs with a Galaxy that its about the same size as 6 in an arm band and it looks doable.

I just ordered an iPhone 6 (had to replace my phone next week at work anyway so the timing was great) and passed on the plus since I am much more worried about how it will fit in my pants and dress shirt pocket then how it will sit in my jersey pocket and I could get more storage which I need at an acceptable price with the 6. How it will work on the bike was not a factor since it just sits in my pocket prepared if necessary for an emergency.

Tech Tip - set up Uber on your smart phone. After a crash a couple months ago I could not ride and I needed to get to the ER but I did not want to spend $500 on an ambulance so I called several people for help. The Uber cab I summoned with one click got there first . . . . I did not even have to enter an address since it used the gps to figure out where I was and tell the cabbie where to find me.
Last edited by: STP: Sep 12, 14 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus (need input from people who have used larger devices for cycling/running) [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure on altimeter. I am planning on using my 910xt as the primary device but I can see a point where it becomes my only device except for racing/foul weather.
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus (need input from people who have used larger devices for cycling/running) [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also used to be a singlet and 3in shorts kind of guy to feel light. Now I have a camelbak hand system plus a smaller belt. Water (in a few weeks all of the fountains will be shut off), GUs, keys, ID, credit cards, phone. I often run to a place and take mass transit back and read on my phone. So maybe I'm a touch slower but well prepared and fueled up if something goes wrong. Having a larger phone means I can read books or the news easily. I'll probably eventually get the Salomon belt or their vest and add a Pro Bar in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has a barometer. According to Apple and the way it's set up it will allow them to get accurate altitude readings plus weather information. http://www.washingtonpost.com/...ne6-has-a-barometer/
Quote Reply