Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim trick in open water: Rolling on someone else's back!!!
Quote | Reply
I often get the feedback from triathlete that they pick the wrong set of feet to follow...or were stock next to a aggressive swimmer, box in, in a bad position etc. My comments is always, why didnt you just move somewhere else. And after years of working with athletes in the lake, it s obvious that many don't know there ''options'' when comes time to move around in a group.

-This is a skill/trick that requires a certain amount of ability/ comfort in the water some better targeted for intermediate to advance swimmers.
-practice, practice, practice
-if done properly...the other swimmer will be UNAWARE of what happen... it won't sink or disturb him.
-it s fun!!!!
-open water is a Art on it s own...... get good at it...there is a lot of speed to be gain.
-yes, i m white!, i got funny googles, and the lake is shallow because i m scare to swim in the deep hand!
-thanks to my wife for playing the ''other swimmers'' no critique of her swimming allowed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaV83jd05r8

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Swim trick in open water: Rolling on someone else's back!!! [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool. Fortunately for me I have just started learning the other strokes, so great timing. This will be fun.

p.s Looks like you were struggling to keep up ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim trick in open water: Rolling on someone else's back!!! [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a thread on ST somewhere with me talking about this move. Some of the comments were typical ST but I have been doing it for years. It works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My reaction is: "You're a creative fellow!"

Your wife looks like a strong swimmer.

Note: If someone rolls on my legs, they will get kicked. I promise!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably the only time you'll ever move sideways in a triathlon. Cool trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an aside, do you ever use the rollover for a quick buoy turn?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good - until the swimmer has a strong kick!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim trick in open water: Rolling on someone else's back!!! [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your reaction is normal and proper. I had the same response from the 20-25 swimmers in my squad when i announce that we would practice such tactic in the lake. Now, my squad is compose of every day age group/beginner, advance, ironman pro champion/ podium finishers and division 1 -2 swimmers.

when done properly, all of them can master this and the ''victim'' of this trick will be unaware of what happen, even less interested or wanting to retaliate by kicking someone. I recommend to use such strategy if you end up in a position stock between two swimmers...or next to a aggressive swimmers and needing to get ''out of there''

when done right... you will never know what happen...and only feel a light pressure on your butt/side. Not enough to sink you. But don't take my word, learn in and see it for yourself!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing I thought after watching this... "DO A BARREL ROLL!"

Cool trick ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or just pull their legs across under you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this to a few people that have tried to swim over me.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim trick in open water: Rolling on someone else's back!!! [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
As an aside, do you ever use the rollover for a quick buoy turn?

I do this. I'm usually a FOP swimmer and used to play water polo and some of the agility in swimming from polo has helped me in the open water, especially when buoys mark tighter turns.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim trick in open water: Rolling on someone else's back!!! [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done that move countless times, often receiving the ball on the roll and firing a shot on goal - not always successful on the shot.
Knowing how to move in and among other swimmers is an important skill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're funny.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think someone has done that to me before. I thought they were just swimming the wrong way and didn't pay attention to it.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another nice video, Jonathan! Thanks for sharing!
I'm sharing it on our Facebook pages.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: Swim trick in open water: Rolling on someone else's back!!! [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20 years ago in high school we called this "corkscrew" stoke. Really fun is swimming a 4x50y sprint relay of this. It's a little tricky timing your strokes coming into the wall. Best to switch the direction of rotation on the return 25. Even harder was getting out of the water within about 35-40 seconds before the next guys finished his 50.

I use this stroke sometimes when rounding turn buoys.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swim trick in open water: Rolling on someone else's back!!! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont think a strong kick you be a issue, there is very little to no contact with the legs. all the contract happen at the butt and hips but it s very minimal. That s also why i recommend back to backyou have some kind of ``protection``

yes, definitely a skill to practice in the pool!

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
neato frito!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this just the other day. Thing is, it was my lunchtime swim in the local 25m pool and there was only me and this brunette in the water. I've been asked to never come back.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim trick in open water: Rolling on someone else's back!!! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she is definitely into you, i would go back and keep ``hitting`` on her! It s positive, i mean, she talked to you..... no?

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was really cool. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the "when done properly" bit is glossed over here. Remember how many triathletes wait until race day to practice their bike mounts/dismounts? Remember the carnage that results. Now we've got the same thing for the discipline in which you can drown.
Quote Reply

Prev Next