Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My interpretation was top 25 in, will roll to 30 and then to 3% of 25th person's time until they fill 25 spots. The announcement didn't seem to indicate they are taking more than 25 per AG. IMO, you should have to fully pay for the race when you accept a spot so only those seriously planning in attending take one like what the WTC does.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:
My interpretation was top 25 in, will roll to 30 and then to 3% of 25th person's time until they fill 25 spots. The announcement didn't seem to indicate they are taking more than 25 per AG. IMO, you should have to fully pay for the race when you accept a spot so only those seriously planning in attending take one like what the WTC does.

But didn't the USAT announcer say they had extra slots because we are the home country, so they could take 30?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Dnowak wrote:

But didn't the USAT announcer say they had extra slots because we are the home country, so they could take 30?

Yes. This.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's funny is that he said this literally as I was walking in, lucky timing.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The extra spots were the 7 that increased the total in each AG to 25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats definitely the reason we get 25 and not 18, according to the USAT website. The lady next to me in the registration line finished maybe 22ish in her division but the age up rule put her 28th or 29th. She was told that she did not have a slot and would be contacted if roll downs were available, so I'm pretty sure its still 25 in and roll to 30 (+ 3%)

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm of the understanding that there originally was 18 slots per age group, and because the US is the host nation, an extra 7 were given with a total of 25 slots per age group. The original allocation was to be top 25 were eligible for the 18 slots, but they opened the eligibility to top 25 plus any within 10% of time. I don't know about cross over from un-utilized age groups (like Male 80-84).
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris10 wrote:
I'm of the understanding that there originally was 18 slots per age group, and because the US is the host nation, an extra 7 were given with a total of 25 slots per age group. The original allocation was to be top 25 were eligible for the 18 slots, but they opened the eligibility to top 25 plus any within 10% of time. I don't know about cross over from un-utilized age groups (like Male 80-84).

Oh. I thought there were 25 slots to start. So, I guess I don't know then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the "extra" meant 25, not 18 like in years past. I could be wrong, but that is what I thought he said. His main point is they want to maximize their spots so I hope they do something to ensure those who claim them actually use them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So frustrating for me. First time I have been sick in years and it happens the week of AG Nats. Suffered through the sprint and was faster than the previous year but nowhere near 100%. Finished 31st in AG which was 30 seconds from 25th. Passed in the last 50 yards and lost 30th by 1-2 seconds. Hoping for a Chicago slot to "redeem" myself. Gave it what I had that day but nowhere near where I have been this season. Decided not to go to Edmonton and focus on Milwaukee.....crappy time to be sick. I will be obssessing over this until they let me know if I have a slot. Please let me go to Chicago!!!

Here is what I would think has to happen.
1. USAT contacts all auto qualifiers and requires deposit by certain date.
2. Those slots that go unclaimed/unpaid for are then rolled down per USAT rolldown process

Randy
http://www.gulfcoasttriteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed USAT and here is the official word:

"Thank you for your email. We are working with our timing company this week to determine any athlete that has fallen within 3% of the 25th place finishing time. These athletes will become our second set of roll down athletes after roll downs 26-30. I hope to have those eligible athletes within the 3% notified soon."
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [slornow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to all those that grabbed, or will grab, World slots. I am in awe of how fast some of you are. I had a good day, nowhere near you guys... but I PR'd the course and distance by over 5 minutes. I actually PR'd every discipline. So I was happy with my performance. I'm slowly improving... actually don't think I'm doing that bad for only being in my second full season and being self-coached.

I like Milwaukee, but it appears I am in the minority when it comes to opinion on the roads we raced on. I found them to be terrible. Yes, I live and train in the south (ATL). So my view may be a little askew. But apparently a bad road in Atlanta is a good road in Milwaukee. For this reason, I will not return to Milwaukee next year unless somehow the entire course is paved... now that would be a scary fast course... especially for you uber-bikers.

I know some of you have the opposite opinion and I can understand that if you train on roads like that it's no biggie... but for me... yeah, so much. To each, their own.

On a slight side note... earlier in the thread some were talking about what time it would take to qualify, it being one of the most competitive fields ever, etc... well that even trickled down to us slower guys:

Last year I was 148/211. This year being over 5 minutes faster I was 147/219. M40-44 BTW. Crazy.

Again... congrats to you fast guys & gals!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I dropped about 2 1/2 minutes off last year's time and dropped 5 spots in M40-44. Was 26th last year and 31st this year. Went a 2:07 this year which would have garnered a spot on the US team last year at ~16th or 17th. I am within the 3% of 25th so hoping for the best. As h2o said, I hope they find a way to guarantee full participation rather than have a bunch of people pay the $50 reservation then not follow through on the full payment later.

Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:

Last year I was 148/211. This year being over 5 minutes faster I was 147/219. M40-44 BTW. Crazy.

This happened to a lot of people....a woman who trains with us went 3 minutes faster than last year and dropped 20 spots in her AG.

With the World's being in Chicago, a lot of faster people showed up this year to try and nab a slot. Much cheaper going to Chicago for US folks than it is to go to Europe, etc.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Not to mention the IM 70.3 championship is out of the country next year too.

The speed some of you guys have is truly amazing, and it does motivate me to work harder. I doubt I'll ever catch you guys but the worse that can happen is that I get faster.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayhox wrote:
Yeah, I dropped about 2 1/2 minutes off last year's time and dropped 5 spots in M40-44. Was 26th last year and 31st this year. Went a 2:07 this year which would have garnered a spot on the US team last year at ~16th or 17th. I am within the 3% of 25th so hoping for the best. As h2o said, I hope they find a way to guarantee full participation rather than have a bunch of people pay the $50 reservation then not follow through on the full payment later.

Holy shit. I went to look at your time and realized you were they guy I was talking to (asking layout of course as I skipped the day before's swim) last year before our swim wave went off. Then we ran into each other a number of times the rest of the day... just not on the course. ;) I was the "you again" guy.

Not sure if you member me or not. Hope you get a slot!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Jayhox wrote:

Holy shit. I went to look at your time and realized you were they guy I was talking to (asking layout of course as I skipped the day before's swim) last year before our swim wave went off. Then we ran into each other a number of times the rest of the day... just not on the course. ;) I was the "you again" guy.

Not sure if you member me or not. Hope you get a slot!

I remember! I am on pins and needles until I find out for sure. Gonna suck waiting for that e-mail (that may never come).

Quote | Reply
Good luck man... I hope you get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I like Milwaukee, but it appears I am in the minority when it comes to opinion on the roads we raced on. I found them to be terrible. Yes, I live and train in the south (ATL). So my view may be a little askew. But apparently a bad road in Atlanta is a good road in Milwaukee. For this reason, I will not return to Milwaukee next year unless somehow the entire course is paved...

Don't ever sign up for IMWI. If thought the roads at Nats were bad, I can only imagine what you'd think of those roads.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know...

Hoping to get into Chattanooga for 2015, but also hoping I just miss out. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who lives in a place that gets snow will likely say Milwaukee roads are decent. When you combine an urban setting with the snow, that really is the best you can hope for. Having lived in NYC and Chicago for many years, the roads at AG Nats were great. Except for the intersection at the Joan bridge, there weren't any pot holes to worry about. I loved the bike course and will be back next year for a third shot and hopefully be able to continue my trend of faster every year.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:

"Thank you for your email. We are working with our timing company this week to determine any athlete that has fallen within 3% of the 25th place finishing time. These athletes will become our second set of roll down athletes after roll downs 26-30. I hope to have those eligible athletes within the 3% notified soon."

So they are going to send emails to a lot of competitors soon to inform them to wait for months to see if by some slim chance they get a spot on Team USA via a rolldown? Or maybe I'm missing something and the entire Team USA selection process will be completed within a month or two?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 12, 14 13:32
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
wbattaile wrote:

So they are going to send emails to a lot of competitors soon to inform them to wait for months to see if by some slim chance they get a spot on Team USA via a rolldown?

Maybe. Or, they might get 25 to pay the $50 fee quickly and end it there . . . only to have many of them not follow through with the full signup and not filling the 25 allotted spots. Only 14 of 18 in M40-44 are competing in Edmonton this year. I hope USAT fixes this, even if it means I will be on pins and needles for a month or more.

Quote | Reply
Jayhox wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
wbattaile wrote:

So they are going to send emails to a lot of competitors soon to inform them to wait for months to see if by some slim chance they get a spot on Team USA via a rolldown?

Maybe. Or, they might get 25 to pay the $50 fee quickly and end it there . . . only to have many of them not follow through with the full signup and not filling the 25 allotted spots. Only 14 of 18 in M40-44 are competing in Edmonton this year. I hope USAT fixes this, even if it means I will be on pins and needles for a month or more.

Up until folks had to pay the full amount, basically all AG's had 20 per. Mine went from 20 to like 8 after. USAT has to get a better process which is make folks having to pay the full amount when they say they want to be on
TeamUSA. This 50 buck stuff is a joke. Then offer race insurance so if I person gets hurts, great, they can get their money back. But otherwise, this is terrible it takes spots away from other athletes.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark, I hope you make it in. Good to meet you for a brief time.....

I thought the race organization, course and venue was one of the best in my 29 years of triathlon...if not the best.

I was mildly disappointed with my results after diligently training with speed work for months knowing I would still likely be more than wave fodder for M55-59 in the Sprint. 52nd of 72 in the AG confirms my place in the food chain....not that that was a surprise....I still would have thought I would have gone faster in all three sports. BUT I have never done nationals and I am glad I got the experience....

Question: Was this the most competitive USA Oly/sprint fields in the history of sport??
Quote Reply

Prev Next