Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [stephanl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may be in MKE again in 2015 out of convenience because of DU Nats in St. Paul again in 2015. They can haul out all the gear from CO Springs to St. Paul in July and then move on to MKE in August without hauling it back???

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they going to do the short course draft legal qualifier for worlds at MKE in 2015? The course would be almost rather suited for it with the two "hills" in it.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that both short course triathlon nationals and duathlon short course nationals are going to be draft legal.

The bummer is if they use ITU rules then it's a TT bike for the oly and a road bike for the sprint.
(and I think they should have no aerobars on the sprint if it's draft legal)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to a USAT staffer at the table at the awards ceremony where they were asking men to indicate on the results sheet whether they wanted to go to Worlds. She said they would first contact those in 26th to 30th place if there were roll down spots available.

Loved the venue. Thanks Milwaukee.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 11, 14 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If World's doesn't somehow roll down, that'll definitely haunt me all year. 42 seconds to 25th, 5 seconds to 30th. You start second guessing every aspect of your training and especially the race...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Last edited by: MI_Mumps: Aug 11, 14 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you that at least one sprint spot in M35-39 is rolling down. I was so busy trying to corral my kid at the awards ceremony that I straight up forgot to go to the table and sign up. I remembered when I was about 50 miles west on I-94.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KoopaTroopa wrote:
I can tell you that at least one sprint spot in M35-39 is rolling down. I was so busy trying to corral my kid at the awards ceremony that I straight up forgot to go to the table and sign up. I remembered when I was about 50 miles west on I-94.

They may still contact you to be certain. I know Cam Hill is not going in M45-49.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
I can understand you want it on the west coast, but looks more like you just want it somewhere close to you. I get that, but if you wouldn't even go to southern calif. for a west coast nationals, your argument that it should be on the west coast loses steam, IMO

You didn't mean 9 days at Disneyland, did you? I'd want to shoot myself.....

I drove both times to Portland 6 years ago. Who would not want to close to them once in their career?

Yep, 9 days in Disneyland. Payback for the wife who helps at like 30 races a season. And all that time with my grandkids. Beats any race I do all season.

I get you want it close to you, but you should change your argument to "near me" and not "west coast." Granted I may not have read all of your posts on the matter, but I only recall the ones saying on the west coast. After travel time, having it in northern california is only marginally more convenient for me, just a couple less hours on the plane (and likely more expensive for lodging). For me MKE felt like an "event." This was a relatively last minute quick trip for me, but if I am lucky enough to qualify next year I would bring my wife. As for the race, it's realyl one of the better courses I've done in 10 years, easily the best Oly course I've ever done.

And I applaud you for spending that time with something your wife wants to do. That is important in the relationship

But seriously, what the hell do you do at Disneyland for NINE DAYS! LOL, we went a couple months ago for my wife's birthday, had a great time but were exhausted after 1 day! And there's like 4 good rides at California Adventure and maybe 5-6 at Disneyland (i know, grandkids do all of them :) )

And I'd be curious (don't need to share, maybe a ballpark?) what's an expected budget for 9 days at Disneyland? my god.... they even charge for frickin iPhone charging stations! Disney never misses an opportunity to expand the empire.

When folks ask about how to convince their wife to buy a bike, what did the wife get?

Well, Edmonton is probably 5K. So, the wife and kids and grandkids love disneyland, so they get their moneys worth.

I never want to go back to Disneyland, but this is what the wife gets for supporting me and all the races I do.

9 days, well 4 days with one of my kids and grandkid, 1 day with just the wife and I, then another 4 days with my other kid and grandkids.

Nah, I continue to say west coast since it would be wrong to say I wanted it close to me. Now certain parts of the west coast would not interest me,
but if I have to get on a plane, I have no interest.

Disneyland budget. Well, we all drive in a car together to share expenses. We all stay in the same hotel room to share expenses. We are
buying an season pass to make it cheaper. I can go a couple of times compared to one trip to Nationals back east.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
If World's doesn't somehow roll down, that'll definitely haunt me all year. 42 seconds to 25th, 5 seconds to 30th. You start second guessing every aspect of your training and especially the race...

To be honest, Olympics are so short in duration that it's impossible to try and reverse engineer your results, so it's a fools errand. Your training was likely appropriate for the race as it wasn't your first rodeo. When it comes down to seconds, it's the vagaries of chance and circumstance, not desire or ability. For what it's worth. :) That's why I like long course better. I didn't start feeling good on the run until mile 3!

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the subject of world's slots...the original plan was that we would have to put down a $50 dollar deposit to claim out slots correct? Does anyone know what happened with that? I was on the fence about taking a slot but it was pretty easy to commit for free with the hope of figuring it out before the hard commit date, whenever that may be

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
On the subject of world's slots...the original plan was that we would have to put down a $50 dollar deposit to claim out slots correct? Does anyone know what happened with that? I was on the fence about taking a slot but it was pretty easy to commit for free with the hope of figuring it out before the hard commit date, whenever that may be

I think they realized it was going to be a madhouse trying to collect $50 in credit cards or checks from hundreds of athletes the day of the race, and fell back to just letting people double check their name & email address, so they can send out official announcements (and get you to register) over the next week or two.

Glenda
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had a tough day on Saturday... started the swim and somehow on the first stroke got my arm between another guys scissor kick (not as sexy as it sounds...) and for a minute I thought he had broken my arm. Bike was much harder than I had anticipated, and paid for the effort on the run. Just a poorly executed race on my part.

Sunday went better despite being sore. Had fun both days! Then post race had a hamburger salad... made me sick as a dog for a 12 hour ride back to TN. Congrats everyone!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True - I did the sprint, so even harder. Assuming distances were on, I PR'd every leg (compared with other tris, not single sport) and had transitions faster than guys ahead of me. Very balanced splits - 30th fastest swim, 31st bike, 34th run. Not that I looked obsessively or anything...

Empty tank at the end, proud of my race, high point of my life as an athlete so far.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Mumps and to everyone who achieved their time/place goals. I can relate. 30th in AG, 34 seconds from 25th. I've been thinking a lot in the past 36 hours, especially on the solo 7 hour drive back to Ohio, about what I could have done differently on Sunday and during training. Not expecting many roll downs. We just need to use this as fuel for the fire!

On the positive side, I'm already thinking about how it could be a fun trip to Chicago next Sept to cheer on my 5 teammates who made Team USA and enjoy some long runs and great food without the pre-race stress.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will be rolling down to 30th + some based on a percentage rule.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pacific Northwest in 2016. Seattle or nearby.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what he doubts is that many people will decline their slot.

Logistically, very little separates 2015 Worlds from 2014 Nats (same time of year, "exact" same location ). Can't imagine their will be many (any?) people who want to go but can't based on those factors

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not 100% but it sounded like they will be rolling to 30th, not dependent on people declining, i.e. 1st-25th could confirm and 26th-30th would still get a slot. I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't that just mean that the top 30 qualify?

From the USAT page... "USA Triathlon will implement a registration process for any unfilled Team USA slots that become available for finisher positions beyond 25th place in each age group"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess. I'm trying to remember exactly how they worded it, but that was the impression I got. They also mentioned something about being within 3% of the 25th place time and that beating that may qualify you as well. It didn't really affect me so I wasn't paying super close attention unfortunately. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not super clear on it either but my take on that 3% thing was that they would only be willing to roll down that far (within 3% of 25th place) if the 25 slots weren't filled by individuals in the top 30. I imagine 3% goes pretty far down in most age groups - 40th maybe

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
I'm not super clear on it either but my take on that 3% thing was that they would only be willing to roll down that far (within 3% of 25th place) if the 25 slots weren't filled by individuals in the top 30. I imagine 3% goes pretty far down in most age groups - 40th maybe

This was what I was told by the USAT staffer. If there were any roll downs that go beyond 30th, they'll continue to roll down as long as the time is within 3% of 25th.

I don't think very many in the top 25 will decline their spots especially when they didn't even have to pay a deposit on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

This was what I was told by the USAT staffer. If there were any roll downs that go beyond 30th, they'll continue to roll down as long as the time is within 3% of 25th.

I don't think very many in the top 25 will decline their spots especially when they didn't even have to pay a deposit on race day.

This is why like 60% dropped out at the end when they had to pay the full amount.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way the announcement sounded to me was that they were taking top 30 and then implementing a 3% rule. I think they are increasing the number to 30 to ensure a full squad next year considering some may drop out for whatever reason. So my understanding is top 30 are in.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that is the case I might have an outside shot as I was 40th. Wow that was a horrible race. Much better Sunday after some beer and wine. I know I am in for the Sprint at least.

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next