Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
wbattaile wrote:
Any new news on the roll down process?

I doubt there will be anything on USAT's website. They said at awards they would contact people eligible via the roll down in an e-mail, so keep an eye out, probably in the next 2 weeks or so.

I sent an e-mail to Team USA yesterday and am hoping for the best.

Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
Thanks

The volunteers in the Worlds registration room had a list of all the AG finishers and they were adjusted for age up's, so that's where I could see I was 30th after that instead of 29th before. They put a check by my name as my indication of interest and that was it.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So that is now 7 years away from the west coast.

You should become a RD, then bid on the race. from what I'm hearing there wasn't a suitable west coast race that bid on it. You could be that race.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreeing in general about the bummer it is not to have the race back on the west coast, but with that said, I think it would be pretty hard to beat Milwaukee as far as a venue. My dad and I spent a good hour brainstorming where you could possibly run it in the Seattle area, and couldn't come up with anything that we would rather see over Milwaukee. The combo of hotels, downtown, race venue, fresh water, perfect weather, etc. will be hard to match. To be able to shut down a massive waterfront road without inconveniencing many, if any businesses is pretty amazing and would be very hard to do in a similar downtown setting.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question for everyone/locals.

I was hearing rumors as we were leaving that the 1st/north out and back along with the Hoan Bridge is going to be repaved. Any confirmation on that? I can certainly believe the Hoan Bridge part with all the construction but wondering if the other part is just one of those word of mouth exaggerations...
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea on if Lincoln Memorial will be repaved or not, the Hoan I believe is scheduled to be finished by next summer.

For the life of me though, other than the first few hundred feet out of transition I didn't find the pavement that offensive.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on the pavement not being too bad with the exception of the area around transition, but there is nothing quite like racing on fresh black top.

It's literally one of the only things I think USAT could really do to improve on the event this year. You have to dig pretty deep to find much that went wrong or can be improved upon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Agreeing in general about the bummer it is not to have the race back on the west coast, but with that said, I think it would be pretty hard to beat Milwaukee as far as a venue. My dad and I spent a good hour brainstorming where you could possibly run it in the Seattle area, and couldn't come up with anything that we would rather see over Milwaukee. The combo of hotels, downtown, race venue, fresh water, perfect weather, etc. will be hard to match. To be able to shut down a massive waterfront road without inconveniencing many, if any businesses is pretty amazing and would be very hard to do in a similar downtown setting.

True for Seattle. The waterfront is no go. That leaves lake WA and that's far from hotels. Anyone can put together a race at some lakeside park. Nats are supposed to be grand. What about downtown Portland? Swim in the river. Bike out without disrupting traffic should be easy. Portland is bike friendly as is. Run on the waterfront. Maybe a loop down to one bridge and across and back over another bridge?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some awesome venue possibilities out in the Redmond/Issaquah area but then you loose all the hotels. I'm not familiar enough with Portland to brainstorm, but have enough where-about's to follow what you are saying. Could work nicely. Both the old Rev3 Portland and Portland Triathlon start in a fairly downtown area I believe?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

You should become a RD, then bid on the race. from what I'm hearing there wasn't a suitable west coast race that bid on it. You could be that race.

That is what I am hearing unofficially. I wonder what the bid terms are? I keep thinking of all the races in northern calif I do would any be a great place for
Nationals. Folsom would seem to be the best, but one has to think about parking for that many folks which makes it tough.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree re MKE, my first time there. Easy to get to, less than a 4 hour flight from LAX, direct (at least on the way out). I have no complaints, the only thing being "bad pavement" but that's at every race, and honestly I've raced on a lot worse. People were talking about the expansion joints on the bridge as a problem, so I was expecting huge gaps. The ones that were uncovered were better than the ones that had the rubber mats on them IMO.

Bag issue was a PITA for the Friday pre swim, since I was on my own, and had too much crap to get into the bag. Luckily, TBT was there so just stored everything there, and it made me more efficient on race day.

I understand weather could be a little warmer/muggier under normal conditions. I thought it was perfect

San Diego hosted an ITU, no reason they couldn't host a race like that?

I also like the pullover (definitely a slim fit cut) rather than another t shirt.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 11, 14 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having done both San Diego ITU and the MKE course, MKE is far superior in almost every aspect: travel, parking, traffic, swim venue, bike venue (several no-passing zones at SAN). Run was a bit more fun at SAN though (for a short while along the beach). I would definitely race Nats at MKE again, but would probably skip SAN. Felt I had to hold back on the bike course too much due to congestion and the no-pass zones.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have no interest in San Diego. Just too far way.

Northern California would be so great since you can attract so many folks from the entire west coast equally from the bottom to the top of the country.

Oh well, makes it so easy to not have to worry about nationals next year, saves money to pay for another trip with the family to Disneyland. Even though we
are going 9 days in Oct, already picked the dates for the end of sept in 2015. (I can still be tahoe again if I want. :o) )

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's hilarious that you afford Disney, but not MKE! Your poverty argument makes no sense. One day at the park is about the same as your whole trip....
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris10 wrote:
Having done both San Diego ITU and the MKE course, MKE is far superior in almost every aspect: travel, parking, traffic, swim venue, bike venue (several no-passing zones at SAN). Run was a bit more fun at SAN though (for a short while along the beach). I would definitely race Nats at MKE again, but would probably skip SAN. Felt I had to hold back on the bike course too much due to congestion and the no-pass zones.

I can see that. I actually had no interest in driving down to the ITU, so..... And it's probably rare that a city can close down a highway like the Hoan bridge for a day or two. I sorta liked that the "nationals" was not in/near my hometown. Made it more of an event than "just another race."

MKE actually had a pretty nice section of beach to run on. In fact, I think that's the best Oly run course i've done. had a little of everything (except climbing :) )
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 11, 14 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

That is what I am hearing unofficially. I wonder what the bid terms are? I keep thinking of all the races in northern calif I do would any be a great place for
Nationals. Folsom would seem to be the best, but one has to think about parking for that many folks which makes it tough.

Request for Proposal is available here: http://www.usatriathlon.org/...ampionship-rfps.aspx

See bottom of pg. 5 for terms...$30K + extras.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand you want it on the west coast, but looks more like you just want it somewhere close to you. I get that, but if you wouldn't even go to southern calif. for a west coast nationals, your argument that it should be on the west coast loses steam, IMO

You didn't mean 9 days at Disneyland, did you? I'd want to shoot myself.....
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 11, 14 12:43
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
That's hilarious that you afford Disney, but not MKE! Your poverty argument makes no sense. One day at the park is about the same as your whole trip....

The issues is what is more important in my life, spending time with my grandkids, or going somewhere that is just for me. If you do not understand this, you are not old enough yet.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I can understand you want it on the west coast, but looks more like you just want it somewhere close to you. I get that, but if you wouldn't even go to southern calif. for a west coast nationals, your argument that it should be on the west coast loses steam, IMO

I drove both times to Portland 6 years ago. Who would not want to close to them once in their career?

Yep, 9 days in Disneyland. Payback for the wife who helps at like 30 races a season. And all that time with my grandkids. Beats any race I do all season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

This! ^^^^^
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

Request for Proposal is available here: http://www.usatriathlon.org/...ampionship-rfps.aspx

See bottom of pg. 5 for terms...$30K + extras.

Ouch, I can see why few put in a bid, ouch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having lived in Orlando, and also taking my kids to DW, I would suggest that you will find more culture and meaningful times in MKE. Teach them more than a fun time at an amusement park.

beating my head against the wall.......to each their own.

h2ofun wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

The issues is what is more important in my life, spending time with my grandkids, or going somewhere that is just for me. If you do not understand this, you are not old enough yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why Disneyland? There's a thousand memorable things you can do with family that doesn't involve giving money to a huge corporation. Congrats you got successfully marketed to. Most fun outings don't have admission tickets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

I drove both times to Portland 6 years ago. Who would not want to close to them once in their career?

Yep, 9 days in Disneyland. Payback for the wife who helps at like 30 races a season. And all that time with my grandkids. Beats any race I do all season.

I get you want it close to you, but you should change your argument to "near me" and not "west coast." Granted I may not have read all of your posts on the matter, but I only recall the ones saying on the west coast. After travel time, having it in northern california is only marginally more convenient for me, just a couple less hours on the plane (and likely more expensive for lodging). For me MKE felt like an "event." This was a relatively last minute quick trip for me, but if I am lucky enough to qualify next year I would bring my wife. As for the race, it's realyl one of the better courses I've done in 10 years, easily the best Oly course I've ever done.

And I applaud you for spending that time with something your wife wants to do. That is important in the relationship

But seriously, what the hell do you do at Disneyland for NINE DAYS! LOL, we went a couple months ago for my wife's birthday, had a great time but were exhausted after 1 day! And there's like 4 good rides at California Adventure and maybe 5-6 at Disneyland (i know, grandkids do all of them :) )

And I'd be curious (don't need to share, maybe a ballpark?) what's an expected budget for 9 days at Disneyland? my god.... they even charge for frickin iPhone charging stations! Disney never misses an opportunity to expand the empire.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 11, 14 13:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next