Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [bcfort2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting your response versus Dnowak above. Your answer is to make more sacrifices and train more, his is that he is genetically gifted and can do it on 6hrs/wk of specific/intense training. I imagine everyone who was racing this weekend puts in the hard work. I personally question that if I could train 18hrs/wk I would be able to perform at that level. Putting in those kind of hours could certainly be limited by career/family obligations. So I guess I'm leaning a bit toward inherent athleticism over training comittment as the answer to be able to perform at that level.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as I hate the short stuff, this race was a blast. I PR'd every split and found myself in 20th M35-39 within ~15 seconds of about 10 guys. I can imagine me sitting home reading results and thinking "I could suck that up and make the front of the pack." I think each of us were sucking it up, though. We rounded the turn at mile 4 and it was like we all felt impeding doom and wicking it up.

I'm thinking ironman is easier.

My favorite part was the super sprint. THAT was awesome. I can't imagine diving back in for the 2nd swim. Does anyone know the story of the shaved barefoot chick that was stalking Starky on the 2nd Run?

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To further clarify my post, IMO genetics set the ceiling. It is then up to you to get as close to that ceiling as possible with smart training, smart recovery and smart racing. Even though I train less, I continue to increase my wattage in key sets on my CT from year to year. I also more value recovery now than 5 years ago when I was doing 16-20 hours.

Most people are no where near their ceiling so to blame it all on genetics would be am excuse. It takes years (not one 18 hour a week year) to get there. It also takes years to figure out what training works best for you and to devolpe the mental toughness to race. How often do you see AGers collapse after finishing an Olympic compared to the pros? The pros know how to push it to another level that the common AGer doesn't.

Lastly, the beauty of having a good job is you can buy free speed (eg. fastest bike, disc, helmet, etc). So there are definitely some upsides to being a surgeon.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So at awards they said Worlds would go 30 deep in each AG. When they did the age up adjustments, I was 30th. They had anyone outside of the top 25 to indicate their interest in a slot, so I did.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Care to name your sources?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
So at awards they said Worlds would go 30 deep in each AG. When they did the age up adjustments, I was 30th. They had anyone outside of the top 25 to indicate their interest in a slot, so I did.

I followed the instructions from the USAT email that only the top 25 would be able to reserve a spot last night. I did the age up and penalty math and judged I was at #30 in M40-44 so I didn't go to the awards dinner. Did they say anything about the rolldown notification process? Thanks.

Quote | Reply
stephanl wrote:
Care to name your sources?

http://theactivepursuit.com/milwaukee-wins-usa-triathlon-age-group-nationals-for-2015/#comment-26279

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was interesting watching the sprint this morning. I saw a guy go through the finish with his top off. I thought at nationals that would be a DQ?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Was interesting watching the sprint this morning. I saw a guy go through the finish with his top off. I thought at nationals that would be a DQ?

I saw a guy racing yesterday w/o a top.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I just looked at the rules and could not find anything saying it was wrong. My mistake but sure thought I have heard of something about this in the past.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thank you! It's a great venue. Just wonder what made usat deviate from their 'regular' policy of rotating to a different location every two years.

Thx, S
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [stephanl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephanl wrote:
Cool, thank you! It's a great venue. Just wonder what made usat deviate from their 'regular' policy of rotating to a different location every two years.

Thx, S

Yep, last year on the west coast, 2008. So, been 6 years and not looking like it will be out her for a while. I hear the off the record possible reasons, would love
to have USAT on the record. Will try to talk to Tim directly at Edmonton. Tim is a very honest guy and always gets back to folks. It probably just comes
down to who is willing to host with a decent venue. I do not believe USAT is not trying to get back to the West Coast. If USAT put nationals somewhere in
Northern California, maybe they could be 10000 folks in the races. :o)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No bare torso is a WTC rule, not USAT. USAT allows it.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

My buddy raced in a speedo and nice bushy mustache. He had spectators calling him Dave Scott on the run course.

He asked on Friday if they would DQ for a bare torso and they said it would be legal.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Interesting. We left after the race, but I was 32nd... I checked today and 4 people that beat me age up, and only 3 people will age into the 35-39 ahead of me. So i'm 31st and based on your statement above should be the first roll down spot?

Did they mention how the roll down process would work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, I think the no shirt rule you are thinking of is the ITU. DQ for any ITU races. This Chicago will be that way next year.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Race, my 1st time doing it...

Didn't have a great performance, finishing 13 mins slower than my Oly PR ( especially on that fast course) and in the bottom third of my age... I was injured in june and took about a month off.... blah, blah, blah...That being said, I have renewed my commitment for the Oly Distance and am planning on being in MKE next year!

Everyone was awesome from USAT, the competitors, the city and the volunteers!! Also, great to be on the course with such high national level talent...
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last night at awards they said:Team is USA is top 25. Will roll to at least 30. Then added that it will roll further if you are within 3% of the 25th person's time. Not sure exactly how far that will be, but easily calculated. Sounds like they are trying to fill 25 spots in every age group they can to maximize team USA size.

Best thing to do is just email the teamusa email on website and say you are interested so you are included in any possible roll down.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They asked anyone in attendance to indicate their interest and they will send out e-mails.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USAT Rules allow for men to have a bare torso if they so wish.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT and their sexist rules.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just want to say WOW, well done !
Podium at AG Nats followed by a 3rd overall at Benton Harbor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's me too - 32nd in 35-39 sprint... I went to the sign up but got a different impression. Thanks for posting! I'll email USAT. Congrats on your race!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
My favorite part was the super sprint. THAT was awesome. I can't imagine diving back in for the 2nd swim. Does anyone know the story of the shaved barefoot chick that was stalking Starky on the 2nd Run?

I think to the real question is this- Would Starky have been penalized if she had been wearing a gorilla suit?

I finished 37th in m3034 today so I don't think I have much of a chance on the roll down. Great race and a lot of insanely fast people! I'll be back next year
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [TriRyno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race at the sprint today, that was some fast competition even for the short race! I had a good race and squeaked in top 10 (9th) in my age group, basically ALL on the bike (came out of the water 38th!).

Then 6th through 10th in my group (F45-49) ended up separated by a total about 15 seconds- quite a race.

I'd come back to MKE next year, it was a good venue, a little complicated getting around before/after, but otherwise nice.

Oh, side note on the Chicago Worlds date- they are waiting to see which early weekend in Sept 2015 the Bears play at home- the race will be the other weekend so it doesn't conflict. Never thought of that kind of schedule issue! I just hope it doesn't end up the same as IMWI.

Glenda
Quote Reply

Prev Next