Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower?
Quote | Reply
So looking to add a cross training device to the training room...
Have my Kickr, probably picking up a used treadmill pretty cheap. But am interested in using one of the Concept2 machines.
Between the rower and the SkiErg, which is going to serve a better purpose for triathlon cross training??
I guess one is obviously more upper body, which I assume would help with swim and core, and the other is supposedly a great leg workout, which I assume would toughen the legs up.
If you had to choose one??
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are other threads on ST you might want to review.

If you have a bike trainer and are going to pick up a treadmill, I recommend getting a rower.

I started using one in the mid-80 at the advice of a cyclist who was on the US PanAm team. I bought my first in the early 90s and use it for off season conditioning (my pool only has open swimming during the week). It is great for upper body conditioning, but one caveat-learn the correct technique to prevent injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of threads on the rower, but not many at all on the SkiErg.

From everything I've read, I thought the rower, if used properly, was not an upper body workout, rather it is a leg workout....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the rower; I haven't used the ski-erg but the rower certainly helped me develop stronger back and leg muscles and core. Also, the c2 rowers usually keep their value well enough that you can sell it for a decent price second-hand.

I agree with the earlier poster about technique - it's hugely important for the rower.

Finally, if you are near the CRASH-B location (boston I believe) you can get the lightly used rowers at cheaper prices: http://www.concept2cts.com/indoorrowers/offers.asp
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, thats probably what I'll do. I can get a new one for about 1200 Can. w/tax. Would prefer to find one lightly used, but not many come up for sale around here (Eastern Canada)..
Last edited by: gibson00: Aug 10, 14 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that the C2 Skierg allows for single sticking - I'm thinking the skierg could be a swim erg as well...just like the Vasa. And at $770 (add 180 for the floor stand if needed) its a bargain compared to the $2,000 Vasa erg and the new SwimFast ergometer. This is going to be my Christmas gift and I'll report back on the versatility for swimming.

BTW, I already own a C2 rowing erg and slides so I know about their top notch quality!
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm considering doing exactly this: turn the ski erg into an upright vasa trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm considering doing exactly this: turn the ski erg into an upright vasa trainer.

You might be able to lay it flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about having it upright and then kneeling on a Lazy Suzan so I can rotate somewhat naturally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Real men do double poling ;-)

I just placed an order for the Skierg. But then I am a cross country skier as well as a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's wrong, if you follow through the leg push, the body/arm phase is just as engaged and will give you a serious upper body workout...and maybe destroy your lower back with improper technique. Watch videos.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely have a rower or coach teach you the correct technique (some Crossfit people can probably teach it to you, too). It's a terrific workout. Note that the ski erg and the rowing ergometer are very different workouts. Rowing gives significant leg and upper body workout, and may be effective cross-training for all three tri sports (I was a rower, and I know a lot of college rowers who have made good triathletes, cyclists, and runners).

Rowing ergometers generally hold value pretty well. They are well built, easy to maintain, and pretty easy to overhaul if necessary. I don't know how the ski erg holds resale value -- if that matters to you. I imagine the used rowing ergometer market is a lot bigger than the used ski erg market.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx, I actually ended up buying a new Concept2 rower, still working on technique. Definitely a high quality machine!
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
That's wrong, if you follow through the leg push, the body/arm phase is just as engaged and will give you a serious upper body workout...and maybe destroy your lower back with improper technique. Watch videos.

I have a sculling boat I can use on my lake. Amazing exercise. But, I need to learn how to use correctly since yep, it nailed my back.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bringing this thread back. Anyone with more experience with Skierg?
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 SkiErg vs Rower? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get both of them.

They complement each other.
Quote Reply