Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls
Quote | Reply
Bit of desperation here. Arrived in Milwaukee for AG Nat'ls on a direct flight from SF and somehow my bike did not make it. Southwest doesn't scan anything until it's final destination, and despite my best efforts, I can't find anyone who knows what flight it got on. So there's no telling where it is right now.

I've resigned to trying to find a bike tomorrow to use on Saturday. There's an outside chance that it arrives tomorrow, but I need to be prepared to check something else in tomorrow if I have to.

Does anyone have an extra bike, know anyone with an extra bike, or know a shop who could get anywhere close to a Cervelo P3, 56cm. Pipe dream would be to have a set of wheel comparable to Williams Sys85 w/ PowerTap.

i race for M2 out of San Francisco.

Figured it was worth a shot.
Last edited by: sfohio: Aug 7, 14 20:25
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [sfohio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very sorry to hear this. I don't know that area, so I can't offer help with a bike. Though, it seems that SW surely should be able to track your bike. I mean, it got scanned when you departed. It didn't just disappear into thin air. Was your flight non-stop from SF?
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Recoverie. Unfortunately (and shockingly) SWA does not scan upon departure or transfer, only upon arrival.

This is actually a big takeaway for athletes traveling with bikes - I was told international airlines like Delta scan along the way, but domestic airlines like SWA only upon arrival.

It was non-stop. Stunning.
Last edited by: sfohio: Aug 7, 14 21:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call the shop that's doing the race - they have a few branches and might be able to help.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great reco, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome. :) I'm putting myself in your shoes because I'm flying Frontier to Phoenix this October for the Soma Half Iron. I haven't decided if I should box up my bike and ship it to my relatives in Phoenix, or get a bike case and fly it. The panic and frustration you must feel right now because an airline lost your bike. All kinds of things would be going through my head, like someone stole it. What kind of case was your bike in?

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this because it sounds crazy on the part of SW. So, if I book a SW non-stop flight (or even one with one connection), show up on the day I leave and check one bag, the SW rep will tag my bag with where it's going, put it on the conveyor belt behind them, then give me my boarding pass (if I didn't print it online) and I'm off to my gate. I thought tagging my checked bag means they have a record in their system of what I checked. So you're saying SW has NO record of your checked bike until it shows up in WI?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy as I have flown many times with sw on direct flights with my bike from lax to mke without incident.

Wheel and sprocket is the lbs partner of the race and I know they advertised they do rent roadies, so if it came to that you do have an option.

I would have to think sw would have your bike by Friday afternoon at the latest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheel and Sprocket, the bike shop affiliated with the race, may be able to help you out. I was there Thursday and they could not have been more friendly and helpful. The shop is in Fox Point, a little outside of Milwaukee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wifes bike is with us. Mi biceceleta, Tu biceceleta.

p3 alum.. 54 cm
zipp 404 650 wheel
full dura ace
it is an older model, but it rolls.

we are staying at the Hilton and will be pulling into town in about am hour

Austin Hardy -

Last edited by: Aust1227: Aug 8, 14 2:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to Wheel and Sprocket, Emery's may have a bike to rent. They're on the Northwest side of town.
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [whiteandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QR had a pretty big bike display at the Expo and what looked like some demo/test rides....you might at least take a shot at asking them if they would rent/demo a bike for the race. Would at least earn them some good Karma points.
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second QR. I had a seduza that cracked on the flight to IMFL 2 yrs ago. They gave me an Illicito to use that i promptly purchased whenthe brought it IMAZ.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second this - call W&S or Emery's.

You *might* have better luck with Emery's.

Otherwise PM M.AMMAN on the board. He is another local and he has like 4 Tri bikes in his basement, none of which will be seeing use this weekend. I'm sure he'd be happy to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go see my husband, Mac McEneaney or his co-workers Tres and Greg at the QR booth. They have quite a stable of rental bikes up there. If you were a little shorter I would send my 51 up for you!
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recoverie wrote:
So you're saying SW has NO record of your checked bike until it shows up in WI?

Exactly, they still don't know where it is. No record keeping until "final destination."
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [Kristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are all great reco's - I really appreciate the time, folks!

@Aust - really appreciate the offer, very kind. I'm going to see if a shop or QR has something I can use, but I will definitely let you know.

I've put in emails to Ben's and W&S. I've heard back from Chris's and will follow up with W&S.

QR sounds like a great option as well and will visit them at the expo.
Last edited by: sfohio: Aug 8, 14 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry and I sure hope things work out.

In the future(!!!): TriBike Transport!!!
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of records do you have that "proves" you dropped off the bike? Weird system.

This happened to one of my athletes when we flew for collegiate nats in Phx this past April. He luckily had a bike shop guy just loan him a bike that sorta fit. I cant remember the airline, but they did eventually find it. The tag had fallen off so thus the bike box got sent to their "lost" warehouse inventory. Eventually he got it back I think like 10 days later, with an money bonus for them losing it.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, unbelievable. It sure makes me rethink the idea of flying a bike now. I'm sure there are others who have had good experiences with flying theirs, but still, this scenario is making me look at other options. I am sorry for what you're going through.

Sounds like a lot of folks here have stepped up and offered options in the event your bike doesn't show up in time. Sounds like you'll have something to ride, so at least you'll get to race. Have a good one as best you can. Crush it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you've taken to twitter to ask southwest about it? A public question on social media often gets a better response from airlines than private communication.
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
So sorry and I sure hope things work out.

In the future(!!!): TriBike Transport!!!
-

x2!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a checked-in baggage receipt? I fly with the bike exclusively on SWA and so far they've had a perfect track record. Nothing lost nothing damaged. I always get a receipt and I take a picture of the oversize baggage handler taking my bike box. When they lose something they obviously work to protect themselves. They stop working in capacity of customer service for you the passenger, and start working for themselves to mitigate any liability and damages. So they deny delay and distance, hoping you eventually go away and stop asking questions. It won't go away if you have proof that they took the bike. Also, make sure you got someone there with you at the baggage carousel who can confirm that the box never showed up. One of the other passengers maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Southwest Lost my bike for USAT Nat'ls [Kristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mac, Greg and Tres at QR were awesome. I was all set up to roll out on a (very sick) PR6. At the last minute, I decided to call SWA in Milwaukee one last time, not exactly hopeful since they hadn't picked up the phone once.

Wouldn't you know they had gotten my bike this afternoon and "called" me. Except they called someone else and thought they called me. Had I not called them one more time, I definitely wouldn't have gotten it.

So I have my bike, TSA seemed have fun with it, but it's sitting on a rack in transition.

Thanks to everyone on here for the support and ideas!
Quote Reply