A new $500 power-meter in the works?
Quote | Reply
http://watteam.com/

==================
Ditch the carbage - Go keto!
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [dindu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...I like all the new competition for PMs...it will make the entire market better - consumers win.
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the love child of Vectors and Stages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hope its a quality product, then consumers will win
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great and too good to be true all at the same time. I hope it really is as good as it looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/...eamPowerBeat?fref=ts

==================
Ditch the carbage - Go keto!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like this is a very recent development. Wonder what the release date is. Certainly glad to see another power meter (and with a relatively cheap cost).

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Looks great and too good to be true all at the same time. I hope it really is as good as it looks.

Let's hope. Remember that the vector was also supposed to be a price-point game changer (sub $1000) and available back in 2009!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can put two sensors and two computers that each have to communicate wirlessly for $500

imagine what you could do if you put one sensor in the spider, with one computer?

$250? =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like crap that wouldn't last a season, but if they actually bring it to market it could help lower prices on other meters. While I have nothing concrete to base this on, I suspect there are several meters that could come down 40-50% and still have a reasonable profit margin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I want to get a powermeter this fall and use it to train up over the winter. I an thinking powertap, but I may consider this one.
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Let's hope. Remember that the vector was also supposed to be a price-point game changer (sub $1000) and available back in 2009!

x2 on this...

but it does look good!!!!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is one of the most innovative looking power meters I have ever seen. Very interesting

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would be fantastic...I hope it works and they're right about the price point.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW, has my attention. I wonder if its able to be swapped easily

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, at least we know it will actually increase power output, since they use "accelerators" ;-)

Hmmm...looks like that sort of system is going to REQUIRE a user torque slope calibration...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
If you can put two sensors and two computers that each have to communicate wirlessly for $500

imagine what you could do if you put one sensor in the spider, with one computer?

$250? =)

Yeah, but then it wouldn't be the "GOLD" standard anymore . . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this just Stages without the preassembled crank arm (and 2 sensors) or is it measuring power in a fundamentally different way?

If it is consistent and measuring something close to real power, $500 is starting to get into the range where "good enough" might be acceptable.
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Is this just Stages without the preassembled crank arm (and 2 sensors) or is it measuring power in a fundamentally different way?

Well the sensor is in a different spot, so the extent to which it is the same as stages is sorta the same extent to which all power meters are the same. Slap a strain gauge somewhere in the drivetrain!

Quote:
If it is consistent and measuring something close to real power, $500 is starting to get into the range where "good enough" might be acceptable.

In other words, if it works good enough, it will be good enough?

I agree!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
STP wrote:

Well the sensor is in a different spot, so the extent to which it is the same as stages is sorta the same extent to which all power meters are the same. Slap a strain gauge somewhere in the drivetrain!

Quote:

In other words, if it works good enough, it will be good enough?

I agree!

Is it just me or does it look like the drive-side sensor/unit wouldn't survive a dropped chain very well?

Overall, way too much marketing stench with this thing ranging from "accelerators" to this choice quote:

Watteam wrote:
"Built from rods and springs, our worldwide patented mechanical sensor attaches easily to both of your crank arms. It senses your pedal stroke up to the millisecond, recording the direct and immediate torque that you apply."

Worldwide patent! Millisecond torque measurement! Wow!
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just wondering if the "Starting at $499" version is just for one side of the crank. Their ad text does seem to imply both sides but I'm left wondering what the fancier versions would provide beyond the base unit. Perhaps cranks with the units already installed?

What ever the case, competition in the market place is almost always a good thing.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should eliminate those wires and have the sensor mounted inside the unit.
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it doesn't look like an external Stages clone. That sensor stack is very unique. ...and REALLY interesting. It still looks reliant on the flex of the crank arm, but in a geometrically different way. From what you can gather from the quick clip in the video, that patented algorithm they mention is likely doing some serious massaging of the signals they're getting.
Quote Reply
Re: A new $500 power-meter in the works? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
They should eliminate those wires and have the sensor mounted inside the unit.

I don't think you could do that without gluing/taping the entire box to your crank arm. And the wire likely provides some strain relief so the sensor isn't influenced by anything other than the crank arm flex.

But, yeah, it's asking to get snagged on something...the dropped chain scenario could be pretty bad.
Quote Reply

Prev Next